JD Jetting kit, AIS removal, and Zip fuel screw

I just installed a JD Jetting kit, removed the AIS, and installed a ZipTy fuel screw. The bike starts much easier, runs much better when cold and the choke can be pushed in much sooner after the first start. I went with all manufacturer recommendations as follows:

ZipTy fuel screw: 1-1/2 turns out

JD Jetting: Red needle, clip in middle (4th position from top), 165 main jet, small O-Ring on accelerator pump arm.

AIS removed and plugged all connections. Home made exhaust block off piece. Rubber caps on intake and airbox connections.

I live in the Pacific Northwest near Seattle Washington so I ride in mild climates from sea level to around 1500 feet. Happy trails!

I did the exact same thing, but still having a few issues. It definately runs better and starts easier, but still not as well as I'd like (and as well as a new bike should). I was thinking about putting a 48PJ in place of the OEM 45PJ. Anyone thing it'll make a difference? I ride 250-1000ft in Md./Pa.

I did the exact same thing, but still having a few issues. It definately runs better and starts easier, but still not as well as I'd like (and as well as a new bike should). I was thinking about putting a 48PJ in place of the OEM 45PJ. Anyone thing it'll make a difference? I ride 250-1000ft in Md./Pa.

with the bike warm and idleing turn the fuel screw in till the idle drops/misses.then go back out till the idle peaks/smooths.

this should happen between 1 and 2.5 turns on a fcr carb and 1 and 3 turns on a cv.

if you end up at less than 1 turn you need a smaller pilot jet.more than 2.5 (or 3 turns on a cv) you need a bigger pilot jet.

I changed mine to a 48 pilot 2 and a half turns out in the fuel screw stock needle with a shim

I changed mine to a 48 pilot 2 and a half turns out in the fuel screw stock needle with a shim

For everyone trying to figure out jetting it would be helpful if participants would list temps and elevations where they ride, and all mods done to the engine including carb jetting.

For everyone trying to figure out jetting it would be helpful if participants would list temps and elevations where they ride, and all mods done to the engine including carb jetting.

I second that!

For instance, my bike runs great with a 138 main jet. If you put that in your bike at sea level, you would be calling BULLSHIT on me! Mine is jetted for 7-9 thousand feet.

torch

El 456ft

Temp Warm 70's

I ride roads,gravel pits

Mods so far removed AIS,spark arrestor

Jetting 48 pilot

Shimmed stock needle

Fuel screw 2 1/2 turns out

Stock Main

Starts great cold full choke for 30 seconds no bogging at all

Is that better?????

You guys talk about shiming the needle. Does the stock needle have extra grooves?Also I have heard some rangers(ca.) are checking for ais systems. What do you actually block on the ais to make it look like it hasn't been touched?

Thanks

Jack

The stock needle has no grooves I use a needle shim from a snowmobile needle they are .020" thick all you need to do is pull the needle slip up to the clip and re install.One shim moves the needle the same amount as moving the clip.As for the ais you could remove the rubber injection hose on the intake side plug the hole with a regular bolt T the rubber hose plug it back into itself and leave all the parts on the bike

I have my bike apart at the moment and put a 48 pj in the carb. Does plugging the ais make the bike run leaner or richer and how big of a change is needed in jetting to compensate.

Thanks

Jack

Question for you guys, I really need to jet my bike. I am at 7000 and running stock jetting, I got a 140MJ and a 42 & 40 PJ to start with. My question is, is there a easy way to rejet this bike? or do I need to take the subframe off to get to the carb? I messed around with it tonight and didn't take everything off cuz I want to ride tomorrow:thumbsup: Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Xman:ride:

I ended up removing the subframe and the shock.

what is the AIS, and how do you remove it. any mods I can do to my klx would be great.

:excuseme: what is the AIS, and how do you remove it. any mods I can do to my klx would be great.
:excuseme: what is the AIS, and how do you remove it. any mods I can do to my klx would be great.

Air Injection System. Its kinda like a smog pump, it takes some of the exhaust air and sends it back into the intake.

Air Injection System. Its kinda like a smog pump, it takes some of the exhaust air and sends it back into the intake.

You swapped intake and exhaust. The air that is injected into the exhaust is to help burn off any remaining fuel, in order to clean up the emissions.

torch