Sign in to follow this  

KX 250 Understeer..?

Went riding today for a few hrs. at El Mirage, where the terrain is mostly sand, and or fine dust type dirt, anyway, my last outing there, or anywhere for that matter, saw the front wheel wanting to wash out unless I babied the bike through the turn. Now what I'm wondering is, is a trait of the KX 250, or my technique..?? Since the last outing, I raised the forks 10mm up in the triple clamp, hoping to stop the understeer, but it didn't work. I have pretty new bridgestone 601/602's at 11-14 psi which doesn't seem to make any difference. Anyone have any good ideas on what I should, or could do..?

It's a trait of the KX250.

The tires you chose aren't helping matters in sand, either. I run Dunlop 756 tires in the Florida sand and loose dirt. The stock Bridgestones were absolutley horrible in sand. The Dunlops are much better. I tried the 773, and they did work great in the sand, but they wore very quickly, and didn't work well in harder sections.

Careful chassis set up and good tires will minimize the understeer, as will proper body positioning in turns. I run my forks 7mm up, sag at 97mm. Sand likes a lot of compression damping in the forks. And you have to maintain good momentum through the sand turns to keep the front tire on top of the sand instead of knifing in.

• Like 1

Thanks Chokey. Funny yesterday I added more compression, hoping that would help some. I have to admit, I haven't tried to set the front SAG yet..:thumbsup: I'll give the dunny's a try..:thumbsup:

Have you or anyone tried off set clamps to help with the understeer..?

I haven't tried to set the front SAG yet..:
LOL, sorry for the confusion, I was talking about the rear sag. I run it at less than the recommended 100mm to steepen the head angle and to put more weight on the front tire.

I also run 95-97mm of rear sag. I leave my forks flush but I don't usually add compression dampening. I have been rideing Nv sandwashes since I was 13 and I don't know what I do but I don't have any trouble with them. My fav front tire is a Mitchelin M12 for everything and S12 on the back, but do to cost I have been using Maxxis IT's and have gotten used to them. I rode washes today on my 250, had a blast. Body position makes a difference but I am not sure what I do, it just happens for me. Good luck Ed

Wait Ed, isn't Nevada realy rocky like AZ. We use the Maxxis tires because most other tires out here get thier knobs chunked off.

What do you use for the single track desert riding?

Yea we are rocky but have washes running throught the desert. They are like freeways through the desert, in some places other washes join other washes and you can use them to get around if you want. I know of some that are 20 miles long, start small and just keep getting bigger. I have been using IT's for the last year everywhere, here and in Idaho. I have a friend that uses trials tires in Idaho but I haven't yet. Here and in Idaho there are some very rockey places and sometimes I would chunck the S12 but they did work well. The It's have been better than I thought they would be. Most of our single track here in the desert are horse trails.

LOL, sorry for the confusion, I was talking about the rear sag. I run it at less than the recommended 100mm to steepen the head angle and to put more weight on the front tire.

Ahhh, well, I have my rear sag set at 98, me theenks the spring is just a wee bit to stiff on the shock, and possibly in the forks also.

Similiar experience as Ed. My '02 loves the sand.

I run 100mm sag. Forks approx. 1/4" up in the clamps. Suspension sprung for my weight and revalved for the rocky ST at a snails pace. Even with the soft compression settings, it loves the sand. I run the Maxxis SI front at 10psi. and whatever rear I happen to find at a good price (or good MX take off) at 12 psi.

Suspension set up is the best mod you can make to a bike!:thumbsup:

yesterday I added more compression, hoping that would help some.

if your bike wants to wash out or pushes you want to soften your suspension, but not to much or your bike will settle and dig in on the corners and most likely make you fall. your 601 front tire is something you want to replace unless you ride watered tracks alot, the knobbies are to wide to grip into dry sand. any pointier knobby for the front would work better, depends on what tire you want and how you wnat your bike to handle sand. my 401 bridgestone works great for me. idk how you take corners but i stay in a neutral position on the bike when going in (i dont want weight to forward so my back wheel doesnt get grip and just spins around and makes me do a 180)and exiting i pull up on the bars a little (mostly becuase of the whoops on the road after the corner)and slide all the way back on the seat.

• Like 1

if your bike wants to wash out or pushes you want to soften your suspension, but not to much or your bike will settle and dig in on the corners and most likely make you fall. your 601 front tire is something you want to replace unless you ride watered tracks alot, the knobbies are to wide to grip into dry sand. any pointier knobby for the front would work better, depends on what tire you want and how you wnat your bike to handle sand. my 401 bridgestone works great for me. idk how you take corners but i stay in a neutral position on the bike when going in (i dont want weight to forward so my back wheel doesnt get grip and just spins around and makes me do a 180)and exiting i pull up on the bars a little (mostly becuase of the whoops on the road after the corner)and slide all the way back on the seat.

Thanks, I plan on replacing the tires. I think the fork springs are a tad to stiff, so those need to be changed.

After looking at some pic's of me in a corner, I can see I have some work to do, and lots of it..LOL My position is more like I'm still on a roadcourse..:thumbsup:

My poor KX250 has to carry my 240lb. arse through the sand, but does so quite well. I have my sag set to 98mm and the comp. and rebound clickers are 90% to the soft side (can't remember the exact settings right now) on the front and rear. No problem. :thumbsup: