Sign in to follow this  

Bigger tire?

i was wondering, what would happen if you put a bigger tire onto my 07 crf250r? i was wanting to put a tire off of a crf450r. whats the difference and what would happen if i did?

maybe a little more traction in really soft stuff, but normal riding conditions you do not need it.. unless your 250f is pulling over 40 hp

lol o ok. i can only wish about the over 40 horse part. hahah arent they suppost to have like 37 horse out of the box?

lol o ok. i can only wish about the over 40 horse part. hahah arent they suppost to have like 37 horse out of the box?

nope 33-34 hp outta the box

actually the 07 had 36-37 stock, I saw dyno charts for the 07 250f's in the MXA mag... The older models had less, like moto_x said...

actually the 07 had 36-37 stock, I saw dyno charts for the 07 250f's in the MXA mag... The older models had less, like moto_x said...

sweet, havent seen the dyno yet for the 07's...36 hp thats sweet

You would likely go slower, have poorer acceleration and handling might suffer in the corners, depending on the tire profile and what size you got.

Plus any of the problems about fit . . .

You would likely go slower, have poorer acceleration and handling might suffer in the corners, depending on the tire profile and what size you got.

Plus any of the problems about fit . . .

ok, so i disagree. ive been running bigger bike tires on my bikes for about 6 years now. I used to put 250 2-stroke tires on my 125 2-stroke, and now that im on a 250f, i just continue to put the 450f tires on. i've noticed more traction in less-than-perfect conditions due to the wider profile.

there are no problems with fit. the tires stick out from the rim's sides a lil more, but thats not a problems. there is no rubbin the chain, swingarm, etc.

i have also run michelins, dunlops, and bridgestones all with the same success, more traction....

i dont see why "You would likely go slower, have poorer acceleration and handling might suffer in the corners" ............the tires are essentially the same, only wider. all models (like say, all michelin M12's) use the same compound, tread pattern, they're jus made to fit the different size rims

here, i jus thought of this.................

look at it this way.......the standard tire size on a 250f is 100/90-19

ok? and then the standard size for a 450 is 110/90-19 (notice the first number is different)

BUT!!! you can also buy a 120/90-19 tire for a 450

so if you think about it, putting a 450 tire (the 110/90-19) on a 250 will work exactly the same as putting the 120/90-19 on the 450

you get more traction. mike larocco ran the 120/90-19's on his bikes a few years ago for that very reason, more traction. hopefully this ends the debate.

I think also the new suzukis and kawi 450's have 120 size tires, for more traction.

i was thinking that it really wouldnt make a difference because isnt there only a 10 cm difference between a 100 width and a 110width? thanks guys. i think i might do they wider tire. you put the wider tire on the stock 250 rim rite?

ok, so i disagree.

i dont see why "You would likely go slower, have poorer acceleration and handling might suffer in the corners" ............the tires are essentially the same, only wider. all models (like say, all michelin M12's) use the same compound, tread pattern, they're jus made to fit the different size rims

Bigger, wider tire means more weight and you're asking a smaller motor to work that much harder to get up to speed. It's not that you can't ride like that, but if it was such a great advantage, the factories would supply them that way. They can pick whatever size tire they want that works best.

You want to have some wheelspin.

Saying that some factory rider (and when did LaRocco ever race a CRF250?) with a breathed-on works motor did it, proves nothing.

If you just play ride, it makes no difference.

Sorry to have to correct you but running a wider profile tire, 110 instead of 100, on a 250F will actually make it thinner as well as taller. Due to the smaller width of the rim you are squeezing the tire inwards and thus upwards. You will find any top guys running the wider tire are also running the wider rim. Then you will getter better traction and the 250Fs will pull it. The 125s only used this set up on hardpack to increase grip when it was hard to find any. The 125s would struggle in loam.

hey try using a 110/80-19. I just used it this past weekend its awesome,its made for the smaller rim, dunlop makes it on the 756RR.

Bigger, wider tire means more weight and you're asking a smaller motor to work that much harder to get up to speed. It's not that you can't ride like that, but if it was such a great advantage, the factories would supply them that way. They can pick whatever size tire they want that works best.

You want to have some wheelspin.

Saying that some factory rider (and when did LaRocco ever race a CRF250?) with a breathed-on works motor did it, proves nothing.

If you just play ride, it makes no difference.

show me where i specifically said mike larocco rode a 250f?

thats right, i didnt, not at all. you read my thing totally wrong......i was talking about putting the 120 tires on a 450 (or 250 2-stroke) in that part! mike larocco did this! i said this for comparison sake. showing how he put a bigger tire on his bike for more traction....... reread my post, maybe you'll understand it this time..............and yea, he had a works bike, but still doesnt change the fact that people buy 120 tires to replace their 110's on 250/450f's!...........and where did the play ride thing come in to play? of course it doesnt matter then, most things you do to a bike dont matter then as long as the things runs

and i agree, the tire does get round a lil more as someone responded, since you are squeezing a bigger tire on a smaller rim. in my opinion, it still get better traction in turns this way since the overall profile is still wider and you have a wider print.

ive ridden back to back with 110's and 100's on my crf250.....i cant tell adifference as far as the bike being slower cuz of the lil extra weight added by the bigger tire......but i can tell a difference in the traction.

the very little weight gain would not be noticeable when you factor in the traction gain.