Custom Header Guard

Check out the header guard me and my dad built today. I needed something to protect the header wrap and though we could fab something up. It looks decent and should hold up. What do you think??:thumbsup:

IMG_0006-1.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0003-1.jpg

is that wrap nylon or a special kind of exhaust wrap? if its nylon it will melt to the pipe and cause a nasty mess. looks like the guard will work tho not the prettiest but serves a good function:thumbsup:

It's a special fibreglass wrap for exactly this purpose. You actually install it dampened with water and then let it shrink a bit to fit.

However, I don't believe that bike headers are supposed to be wrapped because it causes the already thin header to overheat and oxidize, and delays cooling after the engine stops. Overheated stainless loses thickness from ablation (friction from the exhaust gasses), and its metallurgical properties change. It might not be too long before the only thing holding the headpipe together is the wrap.

Here's a link (just pulled it off the web - there's plenty more like it):

http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.asp

Coating the head pipe might be a better way to go (imo).

i only wrapped the header because it cracked. it is titanium btw and would cost about $80 to be welded. the header wrap is actually stopping exhaust gasses from escaping and is working out well

^^Thats interesting.^^

and the crack was caused by the dent removing method (freezing water in the pipe) it worked to get the dent out, but caused this problem. The only reason we fabbed up the guard was because my boot was hitting the exhaust wrap and causing it to fray

and the crack was caused by the dent removing method (freezing water in the pipe) it worked to get the dent out, but caused this problem. The only reason we fabbed up the guard was because my boot was hitting the exhaust wrap and causing it to fray

well then it serves 2 purposes if you think about it keeps it from fraying and protects it from rocks:thumbsup:

well then it serves 2 purposes if you think about it keeps it from fraying and protects it from rocks:thumbsup:

exactly :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yep, titanium is more brittle than stainless and can crack from a good ding or freezing a dent out.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I think that you won't get a long-term solution from this. If it works for you, that's cool. :thumbsup:

cool, nice job on the fab work

did u plug the ends? becaus the Ti is too thin for the ends to be plugged.