Sign in to follow this  

Radiator Fan

Dropped the bike's left side directly onto a rock going about 20. Thank goodness for the Unabiker guards because the damage to the radiator could have been a lot worse. I ultimately road the bike home with a slow leak out of the corner of the radiator.

I plan to have Mylar fix the radiator based on all of the positive comments. But what about the fan? It got pretty cranked in the crash also. Looks like $140 or so for a new one. Is there an alternative to buying new?

Also, is there a way to get just one rad guard from Unabiker? I figured I'll call 'em tomorrow, but while I'm asking about the other things...

Thanks guys...

Ouch! Hope you are ok. :thumbsup:

There is a DRZ fan and radiator listed on ebay.

Some people have been able to adapt a computer fan (lower cost). If this is of interest search for "computer fan".

But what about the fan? It got pretty cranked in the crash also. Looks like $140 or so for a new one. Is there an alternative to buying new?
Mine got cracked up too. When I pulled it off, felt how heavy it was, and saw how much a new one cost, that's when I decided to go fan-less. It's been a couple of thousand miles since then, almost all offroad, and I haven't missed it.

They should make some radiator gaurds that wrap around to protect the sides of the rad and the fan. If the did I would own some. As they are made now I don't see much addtional protection to justify the cost.

I also had a similar spill that bend the bottom shroud mount and the shroud surrounding the fan. Luckily after some "massaging" I was able to get everything back to where it should be and everything still works like it should.

But I did'nt even notice the damage until loading up this spring, so it must have happened last fall. That being said I also went fanless for at least 6 months including a pretty wicked two day dual sport ride. On the DS ride I did see my engine temp light for the first time but only in the very tricky parts where you needed the rpms.

Long story short you may be able to do without the fan.

I have the Devol rad guards and have dropped my bike hard several times..Once on the road after clipping a curb..No radiator damage. Bike always does good...its me that needs some heavy armor!