From quads to bikes. 250 or 450?

I have a TRX450R... which im trying to sell to get a dirtbike.. all my friends and family ride quads.. but i want a bike... so im going through with it.. No wim just trying to decide what bike... Im a big guy.. about 6'2 270lbs...17 years old.

I had a yz125 back about 3-4 years ago.... i went form snowmobiling to dirtbikes.. so i didnt know how to shift or anything.. i laid it down hard and ever since iv been riding quads.. but i wanna get back up on that..

Im trying to decide between a 250 or a 450... im not experienced in bikes... but cause of my weight iv had people tell me to go 450.. cause as soon as i get used to the 250 i will want more power....

So please tell me what u think..

Thx!

You're a big boy, a 250 is going to be pretty strained pulling you around I would think.

Also coming off a TRX450R you are probably not going to be that impressed with the power of a 250.

Big boy or not. You need to be sure you could handle a 450. I'm the same size as you and have recently had a CRF450R, a Predator 500, and currently ride a 525 EXC. Both the 450 and 525 would walk all over the Predator. On the 525 it takes a fair amount of throttle control to keep the front end planted when it hooks up. The big change in going from a 4 wheeler to 2 is how much faster you'll get off the corners then trying to slow down enough before the next.

Have you had the opportunity to ride a 450 2-wheeler?

How about split the difference with a 400. Maybe an XR400, EXC400 or DRZ400? They're bigger than the 250's which would probably be under powered for a big dude like you, but not as racey as a 450 (gobs of power most people don't need).

I was going to suggest something like an 400 EXC. There are plenty of options to get more power down the road.

400 exc sounds good. i herd they run expensive though (KTM). i think a 250 would be small for you but there are tons of bikes in between a 250 and a 450. you can get an an exc or an XR. if i were you id go with a mellower 450. good luck in your transfre :thumbsup:

So a 400 would be good for me?.. what about in sand.. would a 400 bebale to pull me good?.. my 450 quad pulls me awesome up any hill.. but i know bikes are different. How does the 400 compare to the 450 (Bike) in the sand?

Thx!

xr's are used for desert racing allll the time. it wont haul u like a 450 but itll get ya there in a reasonable time frame :thumbsup:

What a WR450 or the trail 450's?

wr450 is a "trail 450".. and crf450r, crf450x, yz450f, wr450f, kx450f, rmz450, the ktm line and any other other modern 450 im missing (Which is alot), will ALL haul ass

wr450 is a "trail 450".. and crf450r, crf450x, yz450f, wr450f, kx450f, rmz450, the ktm line and any other other modern 450 im missing (Which is alot), will ALL haul ass

Yeah thats what i ment.. what i ment to say was what "about" a wr450.. not what a wr450 =/ sorry about that...

I used to race quads, had a Yfz450 and now I ride a CRF250. It`s almost the same power but the dirtbike is a litlle slower. I rode 450`s too and I think you would have some issues cause of the power but if you decide to get one get the newer ones, they are more smooth.

A wr, crf/x, or KLX 450 would be mellow enough in stock trim for someone with limited dirtbike experience. Its all in the throttle control

You're a big boy, a 250 is going to be pretty strained pulling you around I would think.

Also coming off a TRX450R you are probably not going to be that impressed with the power of a 250.

If you're fine with the 450r, you'll do well on a 250f.

A 250f will outrun your 450r. Stock they throw down practically the same hp/tq but the bikes got the trx covered coming in almost 200 lbs lighter.

you can get an 03-04 crf450r for pretty cheap. if you rode a 450 quad a 450 bike should be good. good luck!

250Fs can be plenty fast but youll end up putting a bunch of money into the susp. as they're desinged for 140 -170 lb riders.The very few times I've ridden my WR 450 in the sand I actually felt sorry for the motor and would never imagine doing the same thing to a 250 especially on a regular basis.I've ridden a 03 WR450 for the last 2 years of the 3 that I've been riding.On this type bike you can go as fast or as slow as you want ,have excellent reliability, and a bike designed for a larger person to begin with.Good luck with your decision!

400exe is a good choice or wr450

If you really want a fun bike try a 250 smoker. The maintenance costs are lower and it will haul you around just fine. It just take a while to get used to the power.

Thx for all the responses.

I think ima TRY to shoot for a wr450f or crf450x..or any of the 450 trailbikes..

Hopefully i dont kill myself.. lol but id rather get a bike that i can grow into experience wise.

What about a yz426f?!!