Changing tire sizes

Hey guys,

How many of you have changed from the larger stock sizes (90/100-21 and 120/80-19) to the more universal 80/100-21 and 110/90-19?

If so, what did you notice and how did you like it?

I'm getting ready to replace the stockers and it would make it a lot easier to have tires that are interchangeable with my other bikes, not to mention that I can't find those sizes in all tire models.

:thumbsup:

I went with the stock sizes but in the Bridgestone 401/402 variety. I love em but I would be interested in saving some cash next time around.

rock on.

Unfortunately you are not going to find one tire that does it all. What type of riding do you do on what type of terrain? A little more info and we’ll be able to give a little more advice. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately you are not going to find one tire that does it all. What type of riding do you do on what type of terrain? A little more info and we’ll be able to give a little more advice. :thumbsup:

Well, it's not so much the tire make/model info I'm looking for - I have some favorites I use on my other bikes for where I ride. It's what sort of differences did everyone notice when they changed from the "big" tires that come on the bike to the "normal" smaller sizes found on most other 450F's.

Was it a good change, no difference or did it foul up the handling noticeably?

Or has no one run the 80/100-21 and 110/90-19 combo on their KX450?

Sorry I guess I didn’t quite get what you were asking at first.

I run the smaller ”normal” tires on my bike and think it improves the handling but I only ride MX I couldn't give you an opinion as far as just all around riding.

I run the smaller ”normal” tires on my bike and think it improves the handling but I only ride MX I couldn't give you an opinion as far as just all around riding.

Can you elaborate as to how it improved the handling?

What's it doing differently that you like better?

Thanks!

i'm going to put a maxxis 80/100-21 on the front and get an 18" rear wheel with an 110/100-18 on the rear for better traction/flat resistance in the desert

Can you elaborate as to how it improved the handling?

What's it doing differently that you like better?

Thanks!

Sure… The bike feels smaller and more nimble. It might be in my head but I feel more confident in deep ruts I don’t worry about cross rutting or hanging up nearly as much. I’ve also noticed I get a more positive feel in the front end. Seems like with the bigger tire I got more headshake at high speeds.

I ride a couple times a week on tracks that can get pretty hard at times and go I through tires fast enough that I really think half of it is the smaller tires cost less. :thumbsup:

I ride tracks that are usually 85% hardpacked clay, 15% sand/mud. I changed to Kenda K771 Millville Rear Tires 110/90-19 on my 07 KX450F and it worked better than stock.

But I don't like the look of the K771 front and my mates using it are telling me the front IS junk. Any good front tyres to recommend? I forgot to mention the corners are usually flat or shallow ruts. Thanks in Advance.

I RIDE 75% IN THE DESERT & 25% AT THE TRACK - I RUN MAXXIS DESERT IT'S & LOVE THEM!!! 120/90 - 19 ON THE BACK & 80/100 - 21 ON THE FRONT.:thumbsup:

Run the smaller tire sizes. The bike will handle much better in corners.

I assume that with a narrower rear tire the bike will turn-in easier or lay over easier in the corners. Is this the result that some of you got? If so, i'm well on my way to buying an 08 kawi, rode the 07 yesterday and loved it.

I bought the smaller, more standard tires and like them very much. Firstly they are way cheaper. Second the bike turns a little easier. Third I think the back tire spins a little easier which helps get into the powerband a little quicker for those short run up obstacles....

I have ran both between last year and this year. Various combos for various conditions. We have mostly loose soil, intermediate to soft. Its kind of strange though, both types have their merits. The smaller tires make it feel more nimble and cornering is easier. But if it is wet or down right muddy, the large tires seem to float on top and give awesome strait line acceleration, which gives great starts which is crucial in the mud. with the large rear tire you have to back it in to the corner with throttle more to get it to turn. I think in the sand and mud the larger tires might be a little better, but on most all other conditions I liked how the smaller tires felt. I can get better and more consistant starts with the large rear tire. Throw into this all of the different manufacturers with their various models and you can really have an advantage if you get the right setup for the conditions. I'm talking moto here. For general riding the stock tires arent too bad. Most won't feel the difference. I don't think the tires are as crucial as they were in the 2-stroke days. The power is so managable that they hook up with just about anything really.

I changed to Michelin S12 110/90-19 & 80/100-21 from the standard dunlops & found for mx were alot better, no headshake at speed and faster cornering in dry conditions. For muddy mx or trail riding, I would take the 120/80-19, more surface area, more traction :thumbsup:

Michelin would have to me my choice of tyre, if only they made a 120/80-19:confused:

Run the smaller tire sizes. The bike will handle much better in corners.

I have heard this many many times, so I am going to try it this weekend. It will be my first ride back since I seperated my collar bone from my shoulder (AC Seperation) so I am really wanting to ride. I hope I can tell the difference since I have not been on my bike in four weeks!