oil strainer question on 2007 yz250f

1) I have searched the forum and no results, sorry if I am not doing it right. I changed my oil for the first time on a brand new 07 yz250f. On the oil strainer I loosen the hose clamp and try to remove, no luck don't won to force anything. Should I remove that hex nut pull the strainer off the motor then take off the hose and check the strainer.

2)Also I drained all the oil like the manual says It says it requires 1.1 quarts. I added a full quart of yamalube 4R, I ran the motor let it settle, looked at the window and the oil is to the top. Wondering do you guys add the extra .1 quarts in when you just changed the oil and not the filter.

3) Every bike I have owned I never torqued anything down just use a little feel. First new bike and being a little extra careful. Do you all tighten all your oil screws using a torque wrench.

4) Does anyone know of anyplace you can get good deals on oil it seems like you have to change your oil a lot and at $10 a quart it adds up quick.

Thanks for the help guys

1) I have searched the forum and no results, sorry if I am not doing it right. I changed my oil for the first time on a brand new 07 yz250f. On the oil strainer I loosen the hose clamp and try to remove, no luck don't won to force anything. Should I remove that hex nut pull the strainer off the motor then take off the hose and check the strainer.

2)Also I drained all the oil like the manual says It says it requires 1.1 quarts. I added a full quart of yamalube 4R, I ran the motor let it settle, looked at the window and the oil is to the top. Wondering do you guys add the extra .1 quarts in when you just changed the oil and not the filter.

3) Every bike I have owned I never torqued anything down just use a little feel. First new bike and being a little extra careful. Do you all tighten all your oil screws using a torque wrench.

4) Does anyone know of anyplace you can get good deals on oil it seems like you have to change your oil a lot and at $10 a quart it adds up quick.

Thanks for the help guys

Personally, I'd skip the strainer for another 20 hrs or so. I doubt seriously if anything at all will be in there.

Install an hourmeter.

No, I don't torque the drain bolts on mine. I use the feel method. Be careful as the bolts, top and bottom, on the oil sump reservoir are easily stripped out. Me, I get it tight (wrench snug) then turn 1/8 - 1/4 max.

Add all 1.1 qts at once into the motor. Your good to go.

Hours of reading on oil. Here's the short version: Diesel oils work very well in this bike...shell Rotella T from walmart ,15/40, white jug, $8 gallon. Exxon Superflow 20/50 $2.50/qt, Valvoline 20/50 VR1, several others but these have been tested by a used oil analysis and do well. No oil out there, NONE, lasts over 5-6 hrs of use. Get the hourmeter and use it. What has been found is this: IT'S NOT WHAT OIL YOU USE, BUT HOW OFTEN IT'S CHANGED!

What's the trick to checking the oil level after riding a bit? My 450 has the dip stick. The 250 has the sight glass but after an oil change and about 10 minutes I can't make out the level, too dark. Yet the oil is very clean when I change it after a couple of rides. I just want to make sure the oil level is ok between motos or on a hare and hound.

no need to check it on an 06 or 07. just pour in the proper amount and ride!

jeeez, you are not on a red bike!!!!

no need to check it on an 06 or 07. just pour in the proper amount and ride!

jeeez, you are not on a red bike!!!!

Yes, true. It's not a red one. I just got a phobia about oil levels. Never had it with the two strokes. Thanks, heck, the main I bought Yamaha was the reliability factor. :thumbsup:

I think the window on the yammi is only for viewing the oil to make sure you actually put some in there, it has nothing to do with the correct amount. If you watch it while you fill it, within 10 ounces it has covered the window.

Just do what I do. I am a freak about the oil to, so I change it after every ride....whether 1 hour or 4 hours. I change it so I know that the right amount is always there....plus oil is cheap.

also the window's on these 06/07's are a pile of crap. So just pretend that is does not exist

....plus oil is cheap.

You obviously don't overspend on 300V hehe :thumbsup: