Best Big bore kit?

I am wondering what the best choice for a big bore kit is. I have seen many out their i don't have plans to do a stroker but do plan on cam and valve train work. Eddie, william, what are your choice of kits and why.

Well, it depends.

Money not an issue? The Ice Cube is a real nice big bore. All billet, very nicelt made, large water jackets.

http://www.maxpower-engines.com/big-bore-kits-ATV/ltz510-icecube.htm

A little issue"? Athena makes a replacement cast barrel. Nice, no need to send your old barrel in for a swap.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p=910

Money is a issue? Then you can do a barrel swap with Millenium Tech (be sure to save the oil breather fitting out of your old barrel).

http://www.mt-llc.com/tour/advantage.html

That all said, you also want to get a three ring piston if possible. Ice Cube offers some real nice coatings for the skirt and a ceramic coating for the crown.....

It would be hard to do any upgrade involving big bore or cams and not feel that the valves would need some attention, imho.

Rib eye is right, I was told that you should have a valves done. Might as well while the head is off the bike, ensure that its ALL fresh when it goes back together.?

Do your valves. Eddie can hook you up and do a valve job with RHC valves, springs and retainers. He can also get you the RHC cams (pre-degreeded too), if you want.

If downtime is a concern, locate a used head, send that to Eddie. He'll make it better than new. Once you have that back and your barrel in hand, an afternoon and you are 'off to the races'!

you can see ware over a grand can be spent on a BB rebuild done rite

if you get a Ebay head ( $500 ) and have eddie work it over ( $400 + )

than include the BB and piston ($400 +)

this is why my bike has to remain stock .... it is the only thing I can aford

is it accurate to say that 440 is just a bore change where as the 500 (blue off the link) is a bore and stroke change... price change is major because of the new stroker crank?

what is the deal with the "spacer" that I have seen chat about... is it for the stroker on a standard 440 kit?

confused..

with the new stroker crank needs the "spacer" to avoide the piston hitting the head

as I see it there are 3 choices to make

1. to keep the cilender and stroke ( stock ) add every thing you can to get more power ( FCR carb - Ti pipe - E or hot cams and than the thinner bace gasket )

2. added to step 1 -- HRC stock replacement valves and springs ( RHC intake and "E" exhoust cams ) - BB kit of aney size with replated cylender

3. added to step 2 -- HRC 1mm bigger valves and full out race cams - stroker crank with "spacer" add a bigger 41mm FCR

is it accurate to say that 440 is just a bore change where as the 500 (blue off the link) is a bore and stroke change... price change is major because of the new stroker crank?

what is the deal with the "spacer" that I have seen chat about... is it for the stroker on a standard 440 kit?

confused..

Yes, the large engines are all strokers.

The spacer enables use of a stock style 3 ring piston, used on strokers only

you can see ware over a grand can be spent on a BB rebuild done rite

if you get a Ebay head ( $500 ) and have eddie work it over ( $400 + )

than include the BB and piston ($400 +)

this is why my bike has to remain stock .... it is the only thing I can aford

Used heads are about $100 to $200. Once you have done your engine, you can simply sell you old head to the next guy do a simlar thing. Who knows, one day you may even end up with your original head again!

The stock valves are no more likely to fail with a big bore.

Anything that increases the amount of time you spend at high revs will do thought.

My big bore (94-mm) produced it's power lower down, especially with the stage 1 inlet cam.

That all changes when you fit the FCR, and or the exhaust cam, then the engine wants to rev, and you will let it ?

Neil. ?:busted::cheers: