Drz400s or Xr650r?

I am the proud owner of a 2007 DRZ400s but lately I've been craving more power. I was wondering if I should sell my DRZ and buy a XR650r to make it street legal. I've read that the XR has tons of power and was wondering if it would be the bike better suited for me. I like my DRZ's weight but it seems to be lacking in the power department. I'm 6'1 and weigh 262. Does any one have any suggestions in regards to this. I don't know much about either bike in regards to Horse Power or Torque. Would the 650 be better suited for me or could I mod my DRZ and be just as happy?

The DRZ modded is a great bike that said it really depends on what type of riding you do? I f you like the weight of the DRZ in tight technical riding the DRZ will perform if modded properly. If your more on the road the XR might be better but they are two different bikes with pros and cons both ways good luck and mod the DRZ:thumbsup:

Have ridden with a couple lately. It's a bike I have always thought I wanted. Not so sure now. You can buy an e-start kit for the xr, I wouldn't own one without e-start. They don't seem as fast as the drz in the trails, but in the open and on the road I bet they are better.

My friend has an XR650 I rode it over a 100 miles this past week. It is great on the road but as soon as we hit the trails my DRZ left him in the dust. There is no comparison for trail riding the XR is too big for technical stuff. If I spent more time on the hard stuff I would consider it. It was nice to have a seat that doesn't feel like you are straddling a fence.

I rode two XR650R's, neither seemed to have that much more power the my DRZ 400E, just needed to rev the DRZ more. I was pretty even in the drag races too. As mentioned before, the lack of a magic button on the XR is a huge problem. If you drop one of them, it could take forever to get it started. My buddies leg was all bruised from kicking his so much. The DRZ ALWAYS starts in a few seconds, even if its crashed. I was glad I rode an XR650R, because now I know I don't want one.

I rode two XR650R's, neither seemed to have that much more power the my DRZ 400E, just needed to rev the DRZ more. I was pretty even in the drag races too. As mentioned before, the lack of a magic button on the XR is a huge problem. If you drop one of them, it could take forever to get it started. My buddies leg was all bruised from kicking his so much. The DRZ ALWAYS starts in a few seconds, even if its crashed. I was glad I rode an XR650R, because now I know I don't want one.

I also wanted a 650R. 2 friends of mine that I ride with have 650L's. And they were a lot better than I though they would be, so I also began to covet a R. I mean if it's better than a L, it must be an upgrade from a DRZ.

However, It's posts like the above that have cured my desire for the R. I was looking for something else for a street tard. I originally thought the R would fit the bill. now I don't.

Tony

The XR650R is a very powerful bike, but it is more suited to wide open spaces. It feels more top heavy than my DRZ400S, even though the XR weighs less. The DRZ is much more maneuverable, at least for weakling me. I agree, though, the DRZ is slow. If you want fast, get a KTM 525.

The XR650R's get hot during slow riding if you don't add a fan. A friend rode trails in Oregon, and stopped because the fuel started bubbling and he wanted to take a short break. He then spent 30 minutes trying to kick start the bike. Some say an Edelbrock carb fixes this problem, but I like my DRZ's magic button.

I looked at an R with $2k worth of goodies and I could a had it for $6k out the door, if it would have had the magic button i would have went for it but another $800 elect start? couldnt do it,

For the same money, I have modded out my drz.

If you want more power and love your Z, look into big bore and cams.

as a motard for street use they would be darn near perfect though.

They have the power, the longevity, the light weight, and the stability (though that would likely change with 17" rims and radials), and their faults are less serious as you're less likely to crash on the road, and, once jetted, they seem to start well with the kick.

I'd own one for that, but would take the z over one for offroad. I'd take a 250-300 2stroke over the z for offroad. However, since I have to chose, the z's the one, and it doesn't give up much to the others in their feilds.

being an x xr650r owner I can tell you that they are much better suited to the open trails as they become a real handfull in the tight stuff . I just traded mine in on a crf 450x and I feel its a much better bike to ride and I sure dont miss kicking the beast .

I put about 8,000 miles on my '05 S,with ex.tip mod and 3x3/DJ kit.While it was still pretty mild,I did have a lot of fun on it.

Then I went ? , and put the E stuff on. cams/exhaust and FCR. Power is not a problem now. ? Rear tire wear is. :busted:

Sorry for not replying but my motherboard on my computer fried. Anyway I was curious as to what each member had to say about the 2 bikes. I just got back from taking a little adventure ride with my DRZ. Keep in mind that my bike is bone stock and its been raining for a few days. I went in some wet mud and was a little afraid that I couldn't get my bike out but with some carefull riding I was able to pick my trail out. How much would it cost for a big bore kit, 3x3 mod, a jet kit and exaust for my DRZ's. Also what is the stock horsepower of my DRZ and what would it be after the above mods?

Sorry for not replying but my motherboard on my computer fried. Anyway I was curious as to what each member had to say about the 2 bikes. I just got back from taking a little adventure ride with my DRZ. Keep in mind that my bike is bone stock and its been raining for a few days. I went in some wet mud and was a little afraid that I couldn't get my bike out but with some carefull riding I was able to pick my trail out. How much would it cost for a big bore kit, 3x3 mod, a jet kit and exaust for my DRZ's. Also what is the stock horsepower of my DRZ and what would it be after the above mods?

based on eddie's dyno work: power now, about 33. power after above mods 36-ish, add cams 38-ish. throttle response, engine response and midrange torque will see an immense improvement far beyond what peak power numbers show-and that's where the engine spends most of it's time. add the fcr to those mods and you have 40+hp and even more midrange and responsiveness.

price depends on currency and location and how much scrounging and wrenching you do. Can't help you with that part. Hopefully someone else will, or you can search it out and add it up in the tt store or on line.

An opened up XR650 will be quite a bit more powerful than a stock DRZ400S. I ride an opened up DRZ400E, my main riding buddy, an opened up XR650R. Mine wheelies under power through 3rd, his through 4th. The pumper carb on mine makes it a little more responsive. The XR is more powerful (not significantly) and heavier. I prefer the DRZ in the single track, the XR in the open. Both are as reliable as a stone fence. The big difference? The magic button, man. Electric start is the p-funk. To answer your question about the street legal issue. An S is already street legal, the XR650R would need to be titled for street legal use. If it's tough to street legalize an offroad bike in your state, I would say hit your S with a stage of mods to turn it into an E bike. If it's easy to get a bike street legal, I would say grab an XR650 or a DRZ400E, title it, plate it, open it up and ride. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Chad

'02 DRZ400E

How much does an FCR carb cost here in Louisiana. Also if I got an FCR carb, I would obviously not need the jet kit right? All I would need is the 3x3 mod and exaust, is this correct? So how much does the big bore kit cost?