Sign in to follow this  

I'm in the mddle of Mototune break-in and...

Was wondering if I should let it cool down after the first 10 miles of giving it hell :thumbsup: or just go ahead and run it the other 10 miles while I am at it?

Thanks,

db

p.s. That bike is pretty darn quick :thumbsup::busted:

Dave, just ride.

Just avoid pulling 100% load. 90% is fine, avoid the rev limiter. Let the engine braking pull a strong vacum in the lower gears once in a while.

No cool down is needed. Would be though if it were aircooled.

• Like 1

I'm back! That was fun :thumbsup: I don't think I hit the rev limiter but got up to 70 and 75 miles per hour in 4th so I was close I guess :thumbsup: I did the engine braking every chance I got too. The bike actually seemed to have gained a little on the end on the second run as thats when I was hitting 75 mph in 4th. Now its parked and later I will warm it up again and change the oil and filter and clean the screen. I think the bike has plenty of power as is but I ordered the jet kit etc for later once the break-in is done. I put on about 22 miles...and the Trailwings were fine on the road and even in my yard?? I kind of liked them!

:busted:

db

Yes, those trailwings are pretty good on the street, and not so bad on hard pack dirt and even rocky terrain while it's dry but be very carefull when it gets wet out off road. They don't call them Deathwings for nothing. You'll be sitting on your butt before you even know your sliding.

22 miles, almost all broken in.....

At about the 50 mark it will be completed. Your rings are/should be fully seated now, just the other bits settling in. I would wait till at least the 50 mile mark to do the oil. I waited till 200 miles and everything was basically spotless. My worry was how long the bike sat at the dealership with the first fill.

William,

I changed out the tank and all the plastic from yellow to blue so the gas was fresh anyhow. I used premium :thumbsup: As far as the oil goes, I warmed up the bike first and checked it be fore the break-in and it was full and looked like new oil so I do see a problem with that. I did notice the coolant overflow bottle only had a tiny bit of coolant in it, like 1/2" from the factory or dealership. I wasn't worried as it didn't go up nor down... I am quite happy with the bike out of the box so far. Can't wait till I do the mods later to see what that does.

Thanks,

db

:thumbsup:

Yes, those trailwings are pretty good on the street, and not so bad on hard pack dirt and even rocky terrain while it's dry but be very carefull when it gets wet out off road. They don't call them Deathwings for nothing. You'll be sitting on your butt before you even know your sliding.

:thumbsup: Thats kind of what I have been reading so to be safe, I already ordered some D606's and will get them on after the break-in on dry roads only :thumbsup:

db

When cold, the coolant overflow tank should be empty or neqarly empty (mine always had droplets on the walls). During and right afer a ride, there may be some in the tank and upon coold down, this should be sucked back into the radiators.

Sounds like you are on your way to miles of smailes. Best of luck! :thumbsup:

db have lots of fun on new bike.after 50 miles beat the shiznit out of it and w/regular oil changes lots of fun will occur:applause: . oh yea watch out on deathwings dont forget and slip up.enjoy new bike,ductbust:ride: :thumbsup::busted::cheers::thumbsup: