Aprilia SXV vs anything else

I was thinking about getting into SM riding and was wondering if anyone has had experience with both the SXV 550 and bikes like the Husky 450/510 SMR or KTM. Just looking at the numbers would suggest that nothing can compete with the Aprilia. The most hp and about the same weight. But is that really the case? On a typical SM track or a 1 mile all pavement course, or a "turn to turn" canyon road can a 55 hp single hope to stay with or even have any advantage over a 70 hp twin?

I have been riding bikes sense Nixon was in office and I'm about due for a change. I have a 98 Ducati 996 SPS, a Ducati 749s and a Buell XB9R and ride the occasional track day here in AZ. I was thinking about selling (or trading) one or two of the bikes for a good Supermoto but want something that will keep me happy for a while.

P.S. How close are the Husky 450 and 510 in performance anyway? Does 50cc make that much difference? Why build two idenical bikes so close in cc's

Hooter

The Aprilia SXV450 & 550 are sweet bikes but extra maintenance intensive.

If you have to ask it's probably too much service and money for you.

Husqvarna, KTM, Husaberg, Suzuki DRZ400 SM bikes are probably a better choice.

Actually money and maintenance are not an issue at all. I have been doing all of my own maintenance on my bikes for years. It all comes down to performance and what the bike is capable of doing reguardless of cost. Getting the most bang for the buck.

You have to drop the engine to check the valves on the SXV, just something to consider, also the 550 appears to be a lot less reliable then the 450.

You may wish to look into a Husaberg 650, it's the lightest of the bunch (by quite a lot) and it runs in the same catagory as the 550.

Also some SM racing series do not allow twins (AMA I believe).

There is a lot more to the equation then power.

Grant

There is a lot more to the equation than power.

Grant

:thumbsup:

Just trying to share the knowledge with you hooter13 so you can make an informed decision. If all you're interested in is HP performance numbers then just check the bike mag comparison stats and buy the bike with the highest rated power.

If your still open to suggestions consider the KTM 560SMR or 690SM, the Husaberg FS550 or FS650, the Husqvarna SM510R or SM630R.

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2005/05_SM510R.html

http://husaberg.com/Supermoto.38.0.html

http://ktm.com/Supermoto.16.20.html

I have not thrown a leg over an SVX but love the look and sound. I had the chance to run around w/ a guy on a 550.

It's an awesome looking bike and I love it. But I personally would not own one due to the high maint. and cost.

In addition I did beat him up a little w/ my Berg (I have an FS650C).

I have ridden my sons CRF450R and my buddies street legal KTM525. All great bikes for SM. In addition I have run w/ a couple of Huskies and my Berg is just a tad faster it seems.

But I'm also old and slow compared to the young guys out at the tracks and they beat me up.

I'd still take by Berg over any of the others and it's street legal title is a huge plus for me.

Good luck!

Tony.

Thanks to supertireguy for the other web sites to look at. That's some of the kind of info I was looking for.

I've had my SXV 4.5 since april last year without any real issues and it's not heavier on maintenance than any of the other mentioned race bikes. You can check valves without dropping the engine, its just a little hard to adjust two of them, but why bother, you don't have to check them until you change pistons and then you probably drop the engine anyway. :thumbsup:

I used to have a 525 and to me the SXV is better(engine, chassi, sound, etc) but I'm not saying it will get you that much better lap times, it always comes down to the rider, if the others are faster than you now they will still be no matter which one of the mentioned race bikes you buy. :busted: But it sure is faster when you gets to the straight.

Just buy one, you won't be disappointed. :thumbsup:

I've posted this Swedish Bike Magazine comparison before but, here it is again. The Husaberg FS650e beat the Aprilia SXV 550 in every category except top gear roll-on. i think the Aprilia is a fantastic looking bike and has respectable specs etc but, it's not street legal like the Husaberg or KTM and it doesn't have a kick start. KTM and Husaberg have both electric and kick-start and if you're like me, sometimes they come mighty handy when the battery has worn down or gone dead. i've also owned a 2006 DRZ 400SM with all the mods and believe me, the suzuki should not even be mentioned in the same breath as any of these bikes: the Suzuki 400sm is way, way, way underpowered! also, the drz 400sm weighs 295lbs, the husaberg and 450 exc KTM weigh around 250lbs. weight is everything sometimes.

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u79/ktmfrank/?action=view&current=DSC02062.jpg

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u79/ktmfrank/?action=view&current=DSC02061.jpg

?action=view&current=DSC02062.jpg

?action=view&current=DSC02061.jpg

The SXV is by far the best out of the box supermoto you can buy. There is no more maintainence than any other true race bike. This thing is a true race bike though, it begs to be ridden hard. It is street legal in most states and is also AMA legal. I bought one of the first 450's in the states and have had no issues. The only thing I have had to do is change the oil. Dont let someone else's opinion sway you, besides the rider makes the most difference

in all due respect, i beg to differ on your opinion of "best supermoto out of the box." and here are the reasons why:

(Look at the motorcycle comparison links in my previous posts between Aprilia sxv vs. Husaberg FS650e vs. KTM 660.)

1. the Husaberg fs650 right out of the box weighs 245lbs vs aprilia weighing 270lbs.

2. the Husa has kick & electric start, the SXV only has electric.

3. the Husa is a single cylinder--easier to work on--a cinch to change basic things on.

4. the Husa has a hydraulic clutch--easy to change gears over & over during races without tiring the wrists.

5. the husa is slightly faster from 0-100km, 0-120km, and 0-400 meters, but slightly slower from 0-150km.

6. the husa FS650e is street legal right out of the box.

7. the Husa has 6 gears, the sxv has 5.

yes, the Aprilia is a fantastic bike--i would love to own both bikes--unfortunately, i only had enough money for only one bike and after reading the magazine article where they compare both bikes:

Notice: the SXV is in the far left category, the HUsa is in the middle category, and the KTM is in the far right category.

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u79/ktmfrank/?action=view&current=DSC02062.jpg

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u79/ktmfrank/?action=view&current=DSC02061.jpg

i made my decision for the Husaberg. still, i am objective, and i recognize both bikes as having near identical performance results in every category except for the top-gear roll on, which aprilia won easily. but, becuase of the seven points, which i mentioned above, i chose the Husaberg and so far... have not regretted my decision. i'm sure Aprilia owners feel the same. but like i said in an earlier post: "Both bikes are race-ready, fantastic bikes. neither would be a bad choice.

For someone who have only read about the bike in a magazine you have way too many opinions. The Husaberg is a decent bike and I'm glad you are happy with your purchase as it got it's Swedish heritage but before you give any advices again you should atleast try both bikes and trust me, it will be very difficult to find your seven points.

the seven advantage points that i mention in my post are not my opinion; they are the physical characteristics of the bikes, which i cannot change. They come from the factory that way. it's not my opinion that the Aprilia has no kick-start, has only 5 gears, weighs 270lbs (20lbs more than the Husaberg), etc, etc. i was just pointing out some of the physical characterists which make the bikes different. i think the only "Opinion" i gave, correct me if i'm wrong, was that "both bikes are race-ready, fantastic bikes, and that neither would be a bad choice."

Still, you make a great suggestion that i should try the Aprilia SXV and i couldn't agree more: i'm in Oslo, norway and your in Sweden, why don't you meet me in Norway and you can let me give your bike a try?? maybe that will sway my opinion on which bike is better? but it won't sway my opionion on the seven different physical differences that i mentioned earlier that make the bikes different--they are seven physical differences & characteristics that come from the factory that way.

I just got the KTM 950 sm and I love it. I have raced Enduros for many years but my back cant take it anymore and this is definatley keeping me happy. The bike has a lot of torque and handles really well on the tight, twist roads. I would recommend it to anyone

I was thinking about getting into SM riding and was wondering if anyone has had experience with both the SXV 550 and bikes like the Husky 450/510 SMR or KTM. Just looking at the numbers would suggest that nothing can compete with the Aprilia. The most hp and about the same weight. But is that really the case? On a typical SM track or a 1 mile all pavement course, or a "turn to turn" canyon road can a 55 hp single hope to stay with or even have any advantage over a 70 hp twin?

I have been riding bikes sense Nixon was in office and I'm about due for a change. I have a 98 Ducati 996 SPS, a Ducati 749s and a Buell XB9R and ride the occasional track day here in AZ. I was thinking about selling (or trading) one or two of the bikes for a good Supermoto but want something that will keep me happy for a while.

P.S. How close are the Husky 450 and 510 in performance anyway? Does 50cc make that much difference? Why build two idenical bikes so close in cc's

Hooter

Are we talking about best supermoto bike or best supermoto/street bike. My statement was based on the best out of the box to ride on the track. The SXV is not supposed to be a street/ race bike. It is a race bike that is street legal. It doesnt have a big fuel tank, vibrates alot and a sixth gear would be nice, but I bought the bike because it kills everything else out there straight out of the box. The bike in race trim is closed to 250lbs and I have never needed a kickstart and hopefully never will. I can and do convert my bike back to street form on rare occasions but it always ends up right back on the track. I am sure your husaberg is nice and I have no experience ridin one but I would glad swap rides if your ever in SC. Just dont be mad when your feelings get hurt

Husaberg or Aprilia or KTM or TM or Husqvarna or... The list goes on.

Which bike is better? The answers are not really clear cut. It's usually a matter of personal taste, intended use, local support/parts availability, etc.

It's kind of like which car is better? BMW or Mercedes or Audi or... You get the idea. Great fodder for a pissing contest but all of these bikes are very good.

The SXV is by far the best out of the box supermoto you can buy.
... I bought the bike because it kills everything else out there straight out of the box.

Well, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you too, and I have ridden both... :thumbsup: To a great extent, which one is better comes down to personal preference. What you wrote are statements of fact which I don't think you can support with anything more than the excited boasting of an (understandably) proud owner.

Out of the box, the Aprilia is quite a bit heavier, has much softer suspension, lacks a kick start and a sixth gear, is much more expensive to maintain (twice as many top ends to replace), harder to work on, has glitchy fuel injection, and a pretty spotty reputation for mechanical gremlins.

In the plus column it is very fast and smooth, sounds great with a pipe, has separate gearbox and engine oil, and there are more Aprilia dealers out there where you can go look for starters and such when you need them...

I do agree with the suspension statement as I sent mine (450) off soon after I bought the bike because of pounding the frame and skidplate into the dirt continously. The sixth gear is only an issue on the street not on the track. I have the original fuel injection mapping and have had no starting issues even with cold starting after sitting for a month. There is no more maintenance than with any other race bike. The only thing I have had to do is change the oil and this bike has been ridden very hard mostly on the track for many hours. I have also had the pleasure of seeing a 550 motor completly disassembled and reassembled and it is the most impressive motor I have ever seen. There have been a few problems but usually with the 550's and for the most part are also very solid bikes. I stand by my statement that it is the best out of the box and would gladly meet you sometime for a ride. I would be very interested in seeing a Husa in real life and I am always up for some friendly competition.

as far as reliability goes, every single SXV owner that I know personaly has had to return their bike because of a major engine malfunction. there was 1 owner that I thought was doing pretty well untill they found cooling liquid in the oil after about 2500 miles of use.

as for it being the best bike out of the box, you seem to forget that a husky 510, a husaberg 650, etc are all streetlegal racebikes. they were built for the track yet these bikes show none of the mechanical troubles a lot of the sxv's are experiencing. it is true that the 450 is not experiencing the same problems as the 550 but the 450 isn't exactly "gremlin free" either.

as far as performance goes, the sxv only has an advantage on more open courses, the lack of low-end torque compared to a single makes it much harder to go fast around a tighter track. this was stated by 2 seperate supermoto magazines and a rider I got to know during the last local race. eventhough aprilia is a lot more popular in europe compared to the states you'll rarely see a sxv in the racing scene. over here in belgium there's 1 450 and 1 550 riding in the nationals, and the funny thing is that the 550 missed over half the races because of "techinical difficulties".

to summerize, if you just look at the performance the sxv scores a lot of points, although it's still quite different compared to a single. personaly I still prefer the loads of torque produced by a single then the horsepower produced by a twin. if you look at the complete picture, by which I mean reliability, performance, engine stability the points go down fast because aprilia seems to have a hard time controlling all those "ponies", what's the point in having a stock near 70 hp machine if it will prolly let you down when you need it the most, that's the main issue aprilia needs to adress. they have the power, if they make sure their engine can handle that power, then they'll have a winner.