2stroke pipe springs

i was tryin for like 20 minutes to get those springs off, i got them off once but i have to take them off again!!

it was makin me sooo mad:foul:

does anyone know of any easy ways to take the srpings off so i can get the pipe off?

u need spring pullers, a screwdriver, or, some good pliers, i use good pliers and get mine off without much hassle

Vise grip is the bomb for a lot of things. :thumbsup:

10cr_lg.jpg

I just use needle nose pliers and pull them off.

I have a harder time putting the damn things back on :thumbsup: only because there is ZERO extra room between the tab and the cylinder. It is like a game of Operation....as soon as you nick the cylinder the hook swivles and I can't sink hook it right. lol

But setting and removing the springs are not bad. I have never used the spring pullers....

Yea dude it'll take 2 seconds with those^^^^ I know how you feel though It took me 20 minutes to get my piston circlip in the other day:foul:

if you don't have a spring puller (which i don't), then get inventive. i took an old bicycle spoke and bent it around in a loop. i run the spoke through the hook on the spring, and grab the ends with a visegrip and the springs pop right off. i prefer this method to using a visegrip on the spring itself just to avoid damaging the spring, even tho they're cheap.

I just use needle nose pliers and pull them off.

I have a harder time putting the damn things back on :thumbsup: only because there is ZERO extra room between the tab and the cylinder. It is like a game of Operation....as soon as you nick the cylinder the hook swivles and I can't sink hook it right. lol.

that sounds like the hard way. it takes me about 2 seconds to put them back on. i start with them hooked on by the cylinder, then put the pipe on, then attach the springs to the pipe. i have never experienced the problem you describe.

Here's a cheap spring puller.

You can take a heavy piece of wire and loop it around a wooden dowel or 3-4" bolt. You'll want the OA length around 4-6" then make a hook in the other end. Make sure the end is twisted good so it wont come undone.

Put the hook around the spring hook and pull with the dowel.

alright thanks guys, im gonna go try to get them off with needle nose pliers

Here's a cheap spring puller.

You can take a heavy piece of wire and loop it around a wooden dowel or 3-4" bolt. You'll want the OA length around 4-6" then make a hook in the other end. Make sure the end is twisted good so it wont come undone.

Put the hook around the spring hook and pull with the dowel.

that sounds like a good idea

Anyone have a problem with the spring wearing through the loop on the exhaust? My buddy's almost wore the whole way through until he put a little weld on it. Now it's stronger but he can't take the spring off if necessary.

you can use a shoelace thats what i did it was really easy.

Buy a spring puller for 5-8 bucks. It makes a 20 minute job 5 secs. Trust me. Its well worth it. If you dont have a spring puller, get a heavy wire and bend it into a hook and make your own puller.

How come they don't just use bolts like a four stroke exhaust?

jus use a long flat head screw driver and use the frame as a guide

that sounds like the hard way. it takes me about 2 seconds to put them back on. i start with them hooked on by the cylinder, then put the pipe on, then attach the springs to the pipe. i have never experienced the problem you describe.
I start on the engine but there is little to no room on my throttle side spring. :thumbsup:

The hook itself rotates in the spring (on both sides) It is just a funny angle. once the engine side is on the pipe side is easy.

i got them off thanks guys for the help!