15/38 on my 434sm

Hello...

I am going to change to a 38 rear sprocket on my 434, and I am going to order a new chain. How long must the chain be? (15/38)

I want the chain adjusters in the middle!

I hope I will reach the revlimiter with the 38 sprocket, The bike overrevs very easy now.:thumbsup:

//Johan

just get the a 110 link and remove the 2 or so links to get what your looking for

I dont want to cut the stock chain.

Is 108 the right for 15/38?

if you have the stock chain it will be fine but just on the outer limmets of the ajusters

Any reason you do not simply put a 16T Cs on? Stock chain works fine, ratio is about the same, ie 15/41 ---> 15/38 ~= 16/41

Hello William.

I'm already have a 38 sprocket.

Maybe 16/38 later.

Ah, I see.

You know, you can simply remove links from a stock chain instad of trying to calculate exactly how many links you really need. LOL, several times I tried to figure out how many links and was wrong. Now I just put the chain on, and mark it, cut it. Saving the extra links in case I go bigger on the rear.

Ah, I see.

You know, you can simply remove links from a stock chain instad of trying to calculate exactly how many links you really need. LOL, several times I tried to figure out how many links and was wrong. Now I just put the chain on, and mark it, cut it. Saving the extra links in case I go bigger on the rear.

Will, I need to extend my chain to get a bigger rear sprocket on.

Can i just get a second master link ? :thumbsup:

when i used to change rear sprockets on my yzf i had an extra piece of chain and i used 2 masterlinks.the only problem with this is there are now 2 weak spots on the chain.i personally never had a problem but others have.

I have two sets of wheels both are off road style wheels 21/18. One for daily commuting, and one for off road/dual sport use. I leave the stock 14 tooth sprocket on the front, and my offroad rear has a 47 tooth the street rear is 38 tooth. I add one link and an extra master for off road. The street gearing works great for commuting, but is a little tall for taking off from a stop, but keeps my rpms about 7000 at 70MPH on the freeway.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

You can, if you have a link for your chain. Not at all uncommon to see two masters on a chain, with a link or two between. Just want the clip direction so if it hits something, it cannot be pushed off. Also, if the clip is bent, replace it.

Where can I buy a 16t front sprocket for my Z?

(I'm going to install 16/38 soon)

//Johan

Thanks William...

I have ordered:thumbsup:

Do you know if I can use my stock chain with 16/38?

I would think so. 16/41 fits a stocker SM with the adjust almost all the ways forward. The smaller rear will move it backward a little, LOL, you will probably find the adjuster will end up about where it was when you had the 15/41 gearing on.