Question for KLX-450r Owners

Hello all. I'm new here to Thumper land and need some wisdom. I'm in the market for a new off-road bike and it's a toss up between the Kawi and the Honda. So my question to you klx-450r owners is, what problems/issues have you had since you got it? What complaints do you have? If you could give some examples of things that may have happened while out riding; like when you crashed on the right side, did you crush the head pipe? I've heard it sticks out further than the others. Also quirks about the motor and gearing would be nice. I'm a lazy rider meaning I don't use my clutch nearly as much as I should so that plays a factor as well.

I live in AZ and ride a good mix of dessert trails and single track, and once a month hit up a track.

I'm going to post a similar thread over in the Honda forums as well to get their input.

Thanks.

Having ridden Both the KLX450R and the CRF450X I bought the KLX.

Here's why:

The clutch pull on a KLX is smooth as butter and easy as pie.

The KLX is old school woodsified (flywheel and headpipe make low end not a complete valve rework and internal corking of the bike) easier to undo the KLX

The CRF has tons of aftermarket parts but they are the MOST Expensive of all bikes. KLX parts are becoming available rapidly and I can wait for that.

I have 3 Friends who maintain Honda thumpers of thier own and 2 have had MAJOR issues costing $1000-$2500.

QUIET, QUIET, QUIET, keeps the neighbors happy where ever I ride.

It's not RED,BLUE OR YELLOW. Granted I almost bought ORANGE and would have been equally happy. I have no problem with RED or BLUE but yellow makes bubkis in a real enduro bike.

Coolest headlight around, and the seat height works for me.

• Like 1

I have had many dirtbikes. I tore my achiles tendon when hit by a lexus on a dual sport. After healing better than expected i bought a kdx 220. I recently bought a klx450r and I have never ridden a bike that is so much fun. It easily passes my abilities(b enduro rider 7 years ago) and I expect will be very satisfying for quite some time to come. I can't coment on the honda but if you want to be a tad different green is always good. Good luck on your decision.

Jack

• Like 1

I shopped for all 5 colors (yes, that includes yellow). DRZ400 has good rep but is behind the curve technology-wise. KTM's are fabulous bikes but used it's the same as a new Kaw/Hon/Yam in the $$$$. I like the WR but could not find one to check out, and have heard a few negative things about older models (although the items were minor). I have heard the Honda needs fairly regular attention to the valves. I read many good things about the KLX, plus I got a smokin' good deal on it! ?

Since I purchased it:

- needs rejetting, and AIS removed (but all the bikes need that too)

- battery is weak (or perhaps it's just mine)

- rides MUCH lighter than it is! ?

- tons of grunt!

Good luck!

• Like 1

I've ridden both (the CRF450X is a 2005), and I like both. My buddy and I traded bikes for a while (he has the '05), and he really liked it. The KLX has better bottom end, handles about the same, and has a plusher ride. He has revalved his boingers, I have not.

After riding both (and looking down), his pipe sticks out just as bad as mine, maybe even a tiny bit more. He has a lot more miles on his, and there are no dings on his pipe.

My only issues with it are the jetting, and that it seems to run very hot (no boil-overs, though), and those problems are both lean related. 50 state green bike.... What do you expect?

torch

I also love my KLX450r I have made mine street legal and rode it to work today ?

The battery had to be replaced under warranty, so far so good with the new battery.

I also overheated it once in traffic, but it was my fault, i should have shutoff the engine at the stop lights, but with the dead battery i didnt want to. Have not had a problem since.

I dont have many complaints, the bike is fast, and fun to ride, its not too heavy and it feels good ergonomically for me (6'1" 200lbs)

Its fast, like 100Mph fast, it will get there quickly too, I havent clocked it but I smoked my friends Subaru Legacy GT limited in a 0-100Kph race

It also has a low first gear, I dont use the clutch much at all even in the tight woods single track

The head pipe is fine, i have layed it down (fairly gently) a couple times on that side, because the handle bars and foot peg stick out, its not actually going to connect with the ground much unless it lands on a log or rock sticking up out of the ground. Motor is awesome, it is hard to stall, and has gobs of torque, its lacking a little in the top end, but from the bottom to middle there is lots and lots of smooth controllable wheelie inducing power. Dont get me wrong, if it had more top end it would be the perfect motor... something like the low end power of a KTM 525 with the speed of a 500 2 stroke mmm..

I have over 1500Km and only one exhaust valve needing adjustment so far during this time, one shim size different (tight)

Hello all. I'm new here to Thumper land and need some wisdom. I'm in the market for a new off-road bike and it's a toss up between the Kawi and the Honda. So my question to you klx-450r owners is, what problems/issues have you had since you got it? What complaints do you have? If you could give some examples of things that may have happened while out riding; like when you crashed on the right side, did you crush the head pipe? I've heard it sticks out further than the others. Also quirks about the motor and gearing would be nice. I'm a lazy rider meaning I don't use my clutch nearly as much as I should so that plays a factor as well.

I live in AZ and ride a good mix of dessert trails and single track, and once a month hit up a track.

I'm going to post a similar thread over in the Honda forums as well to get their input.

Thanks.

The KLX 450 does have some overheating issues when you are in back country tight trails on a hot day, and if your a more advanced rider you will need to uncork it and rejet it. I think that when you put on a new pipe, remove the AIS and rejet it, the power & overheating problems should disappear. The head light is a little weak and others have had battery issues. Overall I think it's a great bike and this is my first Kawi I've ever owned. I've owned Honda & KTM until now.

I don't know if you re-geared your bike but stock it doesn't do 100mph, I got mine up to 65mph and I was high in the rpms 5th gear.

I like the bike overall and I think once I get it uncorked I'm going to love it!

Hope that helps

The KLX 450 does have some overheating issues when you are in back country tight trails on a hot day, and if your a more advanced rider you will need to uncork it and rejet it. I think that when you put on a new pipe, remove the AIS and rejet it, the power & overheating problems should disappear. The head light is a little weak and others have had battery issues. Overall I think it's a great bike and this is my first Kawi I've ever owned. I've owned Honda & KTM until now.

I don't know if you re-geared your bike but stock it doesn't do 100mph, I got mine up to 65mph and I was high in the rpms 5th gear.

I like the bike overall and I think once I get it uncorked I'm going to love it!

Hope that helps

Wanna bet? Yes stock gearing, I hit 85Mph on the freeway (140Kph) and there was more in her trust me, I do 65Mph with ease and there is still more than enough power left for me to burst upto 85Mph to pass cars..., trust me theres lots more to go in her at 65Mph and its hardly up in the higher RPM at 65Mph, try going upto 85-90 lol, atleast on my bike... Yes it was whining like hell, but that doesnt mean she wont do it... ? Also I can go 65Mph in 4th gear

Your going to blow that thing up, that's all I have to say

And if I do, it can be fixed ? No worries I dont ride like that all the time, however I did want to see how far it would go one day.

The bike can cruise around 60Mph for quite a while, its not whining out at all at that speed. I commute 17Km each way to work on my bike 2-3 days of the week. then go offroad on weekends. I will let you know how well it holds up... almost at 2000km now ?

• 2 weeks later...

Clintus - I'm also an AZ rider in the Tucson area. I've historically ridden two bikes - a KX250 and a XR600. A few months back I purchased a KLX450R and I haven't quite dialed it in yet, but I bought this bike for the same reasons. I like to trail ride and every now and again, I like a little wild riding on the track. I feel the KLX450R blends my KX and XR together. Light and nimble, great all around bike. I also looked at the 450 from Honda and Yamaha, but I have a soft spot for my KX250, so I went with the KLX450R after reading articles because I felt I wasn't good enough to know any better anyway :excuseme: . There have been a few things that come to mind about the KLX450R -- I have to keep the battery tended so I have a good charge so I don't have to kick it (but I can kick it in a 1 or 2 kicks without issue). The gas tank is tooooo small. My bike overheated stock (daytime at 110 degrees and tight riding :mad: ) so I added a JDJetting kit, pumped in some good coolant, and I've been ok. :applause: Aside from that, the bike rides like a dream for me being mostly stock. I'm now working on dialing in the suspension and I've stopped riding my KX and XR so I can get a better feel for the KLX. Honestly, every day I love the bike more and more. I'd purchase the KLX again, and I wouldn't look back. Hope this helps. Have fun riding. :ride:

100 mph on knobies ? on pavement ? you gonna need a skin graph soon

You guys seem to think I do this all the time, I am not crazy I just wanted to see what was in her one day, yes 95mph for sure, maybe 100mph on a long stretch, no I wont be doing this again any time soon so just relax, my bike has over 2000km and running strong, oh BTW still on the original piston/pin too ? only 1 valve adjusted, the bike is pretty reliable.

Darren, so far there is no concensus on if the pipe is necesary to change. I have just blocked off the emissions and jetted and it is adequate for now. I am waiting to see what happens before I throw money on a pipe.

Works Connection has out their skidplate now and radiator cages. That is what I got and my choice. Others are out there so look and see what floats ur boat.

I just put on a complete Pro Circuit pipe AIS removal and Fuel / Air screw, so I should be able to take it out either today or tomorrow and I will let you know how the difference is. Right off the bat I can tell you there is a big difference in the sound, but I haven't got to really ride it yet. I will keep you posted

Your going to blow that thing up, that's all I have to say

It seems the KLX is like the WR in that its internally geared for 100 mph (even with short 13/50 gearing). 14/48 gearing would proabably make these bikes cruise at 85 barely in the midrange in 5th.

These bikes are fast, almost too fast?

I also love my KLX450r I have made mine street legal and rode it to work today :D

Noob to the Board but seriously considering this bike or the 08' KLR....but, wanted something a tad more nimble.....but, I like the idea of making it street legal as some trail riding in Nevada might end up in a License Motor Vehicle Only zone.....what did you do to make it street legal?