Question for CRF-450x owners

Hello all. I'm new here to Thumper land and need some wisdom. I'm in the market for a new off-road bike and it's a toss up between the Kawi and the Honda. So my question to you crf-450x owners is, what problems/issues have you had since you got it? What complaints do you have? If you could give some examples of things that may have happened while out riding; like when you crashed on the right side, did you crush the head pipe? I've heard it sticks out further than the others. Also quirks about the motor and gearing would be nice. I'm a lazy rider meaning I don't use my clutch nearly as much as I should so that plays a factor as well.

I live in AZ and ride a good mix of dessert trails and single track, and once a month hit up a track.

I'm going to post a similar thread over in the Kawasaki forums as well to get their input.

Thanks.

i too ride desert and the bike performs well with it's power and handling abilities. one issue is that you put a quart in the tranny to prevent a tranny failiure. you will have to spend around $100 to get it to run correctly(Jdetting, air twin air filter, and airbox baffle mods). these mods will transform the bike.

the bike always starts on the 1st press of the e-start button, which i love <3.

depending if you ride on the rev limiter or not as well as how well u maintain your air filter will result in how often u must adjust the valves.

the kickstart mechanism has crapped out on many ppl, so this is another issue. other than some minor stuff, the bike is a high performance and hi-tech trail machine. the engine is very strong and pulls hard through all the gears--it revs through the gears VERY fast if you want. the power can just explode on the bike--launching the front up and kicking up sand from a start. i like the bike since you have confidence in whevever you may ride and that your bike is packing enough balls to smoke your friends or the trails.

--i must admit that i dont rev the crap outta my bike or wring it like a bunch of 250cc people do mainly because the bike has too much power most of the time...i usually shortshift the bike but i like having the comfort of extra grunt if i need it. also, people get scared when u offer them to ride your bike. they think it'll rip their arms off, but the bike's power comes on very smooth if you want. the fancy power regulator aka throttle can deliver to your wishes--harsh pulling or calm cruising.

once you buy the bike, you will want to start spending some serious money on it for maybe further performance or looks. i must say that the stock headlight is crap and the rad guards are a must. the stock tires are horrid too. if you are heavy you will need a suspension re-do, if u are light the suspension will be very firm.

besides this negative stuff, i can always count on the bike to get my azz anywhere i want it to and fast. the bike likes to go fast and you know its an overall excellent quality product. i have not needed to do any engine work on my bike. i have about 50 hrs on my bike and thus far, only the basics such as oil changes and air filters have been needed.

Where in AZ are you? FWIW, I would ride one of each and decide that way which one suits you best. I would put the WR in the mix of your potential choices also....

? This is what I would do. The only thing that scares me with the kawi is that it is a new bike this year so no one knows what the problems are.

I too went between several bikes the WR,CRF,KTM all of these are good bikes and they all have thier problems too. For me the deciding factor is that I am a honda guy though and through(although I might buy a ktm just for the plate). I love the power of the crf and the handling is absolutely amazing.

I personally have never liked Kawi although they seem to make a good bike I just can't bring myself to go green. Just take a look at the service manuals between honda,yamaha,kawi. The honda manual is much more detailed, that for me is also a deciding factor. So bottom line if you want one of those 3 bikes try and test them you'll be better off.

Hello all. I'm new here to Thumper land and need some wisdom. I'm in the market for a new off-road bike and it's a toss up between the Kawi and the Honda. .......

We are assuming your speaking of 450X since you posted this in that forum... but shall we assume KLX450R as well???? If not... what year and model Kawi?

If it truly is between both mentioned... They are two different bikes, just like the new WR450 and our beloved 450X.

You need to ride them... stock to stock to be 100% sure.

Everyone has their own opinion of which bike is best... or which bike feels right. It's all in the seat of your pants. ?

?

As my riding buddie told me after the first 3 miles across the desert on my new 06 CRF 450x,

"It's like cheating".

He was not kidding.

The "X" is a great bike - even in stock form.

You really do not "need" to do anything to it.

Unless you are me- or countless others on this site who do not understand the real meaning of the word "need".

After 1 week my "needs" drove me to tear the bike down to the frame/engine and spend $1600 on "necessary" goodies and bling.

Getting back to the topic- I bleed both green and red.

In this case- GO RED.

Oh yeah- I have almost saved enough for my next purchase- 08 KLR650.

I do not feel the "need" yet to mod it up. Is there something wrong with me?

Thanks guys for all your feedback so far. I would love to ride both bikes if anyone would be willing to let me. I live out in Surprise so I ride out by lake pleasant a lot (mile marker 11).

I am speaking of the 450x and the KLX-450r. 07 probably since they will be cheaper when the 08's come out. Keep em coming.

The prudent truth is that its not wise to even consider the new KAW 450 as it is an unproven bike and it potential problems unknown and on top of that its got a few physical deformities that make me suspicious when I see them on a new model. If these are your only two choices and your not a rich man (money not coming out the kazoo) you should buy the bike that has proven itself as a repeat winner and buy the X. If you do have money coming out the kazoo, buy them both and whichever one you don't like you can give it to me.?

i got a brand new 450 x. so far i love it. only thing im cosidering first is some new bars. plenty of power stock. it has a little flat spot.all the grunt i need though. just wish i had better luck plating it

Hello all. I'm new here to Thumper land and need some wisdom. I'm in the market for a new off-road bike and it's a toss up between the Kawi and the Honda. So my question to you crf-450x owners is, what problems/issues have you had since you got it? What complaints do you have? If you could give some examples of things that may have happened while out riding; like when you crashed on the right side, did you crush the head pipe? I've heard it sticks out further than the others. Also quirks about the motor and gearing would be nice. I'm a lazy rider meaning I don't use my clutch nearly as much as I should so that plays a factor as well.

I live in AZ and ride a good mix of dessert trails and single track, and once a month hit up a track.

I'm going to post a similar thread over in the Kawasaki forums as well to get their input.

Thanks.

Nada problems. Not a one. I just checked my valves (for the third time in 2 years) and they were spot-on, hadn't moved.

The X has so much torque you won't need to use the clutch, and I've never damaged anything in a crash. The 450X is, IMHO, the ultimate lazy man's bike. Buy it, ride it, and love it!!!?

While the Honda may come set up pretty tame, it is really an amazing platform for tuning anyway you desire. The way the Honda motor and handling complement each other is the entire reason I went with Honda. I have experienced poor quality and odd engineering with Kawi products in the past, and would not feel comfortable buying green for at least two years, if ever. I mean come on, it's green!

All the first year 450 bikes have some problems (Honda's 5th gear issue, Suzukis entire tranny, KTM's auful rear suspension, oil changing, etc etc).

I think the Kawi looks very promising for the best 'bone stock' 450, but since I am not average size, or ride in an average way, I have to modify any bike I might choose. I choose red.

Welcome, I'm out in your neck of the desert. I live in Peoria(99av/Jomax rd). I leave my garage at least three times a week and ride towards the lake. I looked at all the bikes. I got the 450X and never needed to look back. Id do it again in a second. The bike rocks.

i have been a honda guy for along time i have had lot's different bikes i have owned only one kawi and that bike made me never want one again but not to say they are good now myself i had nothing but problems. now i would concider a yamaha again or a husky i never have had a ktm but my friends that own them love them but they seem to be in the shop alot tho. all my honda's just seem to run and run with noprblems but then again i am very anal with my maintenance. the 450x is a great bike i have never looked back:applause:

My only problem with the CRF450X is that I don't get to ride it as much as I would like! Get one, ride it, maintain it and go to the plastic surgeon and have the wrinkles removed from your face from grinning so much!