Sign in to follow this  

How was Watkins on the 4th

After the conditions last saturday at watkins I decided to hit up lakewood yesturday instead (glad I did too). Looking to give watkins one more shot on sunday, and just want to kown if it was ridable or not.

I did not ride there but i heard it was really good. Someone else talked to the owner and they were told that they are going to be making many changes and gonna keep the track in tip top condition. I sure hope so

After the conditions last saturday at watkins I decided to hit up lakewood yesturday instead (glad I did too). Looking to give watkins one more shot on sunday, and just want to kown if it was ridable or not.

I rode there early and enjoyed it. I like the changes, it gives some other things to practice on. Hopefully the berms will build back up. They watered a couple of times and even disked before I got there and as I was leaving. The guy at the gate said they are making changes.

Sounds good. Did they keep the three dump singles on the start straight? I really hated those things, really pointless.

Yes they are still there, and I have to say that I liked them, just my opinion.

I dont like those singles, especially the last one. It sets you up to the outside and into the piles of dirt on the side of the track. On Sunday I saw at least three riders end up off the track, one guy endo'd pretty hard but some how he stayed upright. :thumbsup:

I HATE them. They are too far apart to double or tripple them, so you have to slow way down and still just about endo over every one of them. Guess I'll work on wheeling over them.

There is a technique to them. They are just like any other obstacle, like a jump, if you can't do them safely don't do them, at least thats my rule.

In my opinion, Watkins only had jumps as obstacles and they were all on straights so who ever had the biggest could just twist the throttle and do everything. Now with things like the 3 humps, a hump before one other jump, a jump out of a corner, no berm after a big table. You have to have more than just nads to do the obstacles. I liked Watkins the old way and I like it the new way, for different reasons. I think it will make me a better rider.

Again this is just my opinion and the big scheme of things means nothing.

i was out there wednesday.

i liked the loam gene used to make. the way they do it now, its so chunky and when it dries it turns into concrete beef stew...

i've been out to watkins before when gene did the track and it was pretty clumpy,but they always would try and make it better, not just tell you to deal with it like the new owners told me. IMO it can be pretty dangerous to ride in that hard clumpy crap. it's pretty easy to wash out in that crap.

I agree with Jamie that dirt clods and chunks are no fun, I didn't see any of those on the 4th, hopefully we won't be seeing them anytime soon either.

I was out this afternoon walking around. It looks like a paved road now. Way to keep conditions consistant. i will be at lakewood on Sunday.

Erik

I was out this afternoon walking around. It looks like a paved road now. Way to keep conditions consistant. i will be at lakewood on Sunday.

Erik

I thought I heard they were closing Lakewood for National prep soon. Not sure when though. Anyone know??

I thought I heard they were closing Lakewood for National prep soon. Not sure when though. Anyone know??

Lakewood will be open on Saturday, but will be closed on Sunday to get ready for the Nationals.

That sucks. i thought they where open this weekend. Watkins looks exactly the same as it used to.

Erik

i went out to watkins this morning and what a piece of crap, now they just aren't doing anything to it. it looks like it hasn't been dug up all week. i didn't waste my money there today. these guys must just not care what their customers think. they are just going to keep doing things their way no matter what people think. they should call gene back and pay him to prep the track again, at least he knew what he was doing and it was generally more often than not a decent track to ride.

It sucks because after seeing what Watkins could be at the race 2 weeks ago, it has so much promise. The reason why it turns to hard pack is they actually take the water truck on the track when they water.

What are you guys guessing one of those water truck weigh??? It just packs the dirt.

20,000 lbs full

they have always taken the water truck out on the track, the reason it is hardpacked is that just happens when the track gets enough bike and 4 wheelers out on it, it needs to be dug up to make the track nice, the key is that once it is dug up it needs to be watered like crazy, which they have to pay for the water, so i think the new people are just being stingy with it, thats why there are big hard dirt clods out there. then when they water later after the track is already packed in, then you just get a slimy layer of super slippery mud on the packed down main lines. they are holding the water back until they make sure that they have a lot of riders first. the old track groomers didn't do much during the week there but on sat and sunday they dug it up both days and put down water first thing in the morning to break up all the dirt clods, then watered later also, which still made it slick but there were many more lines out there. if the track prep isn't good first thing in the morning, it won't be good all day. i think that these people used to do the track before and if it is the same people, they didn't do a good job then either and i believe that they got fired. so i may check it out one more time tomorrow and if it's bad then unfortunately i'll be going somewhere else, the other places charge you good money in exchange for a groomed and watered track, it seems as though watkins is just taking your money with no benefits.

Lakewood will be open on Saturday, but will be closed on Sunday to get ready for the Nationals.

According to Thunder Valley's phone message (303-697-1003) the track will be open Sunday, then closed until after the national.

Nevermind! They are officially closed Sunday, I just checked.

It sucks because after seeing what Watkins could be at the race 2 weeks ago, it has so much promise. The reason why it turns to hard pack is they actually take the water truck on the track when they water.

What are you guys guessing one of those water truck weigh??? It just packs the dirt.

20,000 lbs full

hell just the truck probably weighs that much then add water at 8# a gallon probably a 2000-3000 gallon tank do the math

Bryce