Sign in to follow this  

Ktm520exc cylinder

I have a 2000 Ktm520exc with a scored cylinder. A brand new cylinder is running around 400 bucks. So I've been looking for a cheaper fix. I've found that you can buy a new sleeve for about 100 bucks. Does anyone know how to change the sleeve? Are there any tricks or tips for doing this? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You will hace to bore it out. Press the sleve in and bore the sleve to he right size. A good shop can do this. Or you can find a used clyinder. I have one if you are intersted.:thumbsup:

I have a 2000 Ktm520exc with a scored cylinder. A brand new cylinder is running around 400 bucks. So I've been looking for a cheaper fix. I've found that you can buy a new sleeve for about 100 bucks. Does anyone know how to change the sleeve? Are there any tricks or tips for doing this? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

What seems to be the reason it got scorn, which oil you running, These motors seem to be pretty Tuff..????

What seems to be the reason it got scorn, which oil you running, These motors seem to be pretty Tuff..????

Im not to sure what happened. The intake valves got mushroomed and when i pulled the head off i noticed the score in the cylinder.

Can you feel the scraches with your finger nail? It not have a trusted tech hone it and use it. If you can I would fix it.:thumbsup:

You can have it re-plated for abt $200 but you probubly need a piston also? For $475 exchange you can do a 540 conversion

Im not to sure what happened. The intake valves got mushroomed and when i pulled the head off i noticed the score in the cylinder.
Humm, Do you think the cam chain stretched to mushroom the valves...Just trying to figure it out..maybe some dirt got past the air filter to scorn the cylinder..If you could find a cylinder that someone took off to install the 540 kit for more power, you might want to post on Ktmtalk as well..

I do plating. Like dave said it's about $200. I think I have a cylinder I could exchange out for you so you don't have to wait the 2-3 weeks the plating takes

Without seeing the cylinder can't comment on what damaged it but the valves, I doubt they are mushroomed? "Cupped" where the valve face forms to fit the seat is the usual issue. Cam chain is not the culprit, soft intake valves is.

As for fixing this piece, take Travis up on his offer!!

Humm, Do you think the cam chain stretched to mushroom the valves...Just trying to figure it out..maybe some dirt got past the air filter to scorn the cylinder..If you could find a cylinder that someone took off to install the 540 kit for more power, you might want to post on Ktmtalk as well..