Sign in to follow this  

How wide, is your ride?

Hey Guys, looking for input on bar width. My 07 SM does double duty, and for trail rides it seems way too wide. I was considering chopping a bit off the Fatbars, but I don't want to lose too much control on the street. What kind of widths are you guys running? :thumbsup:

You won't loose much on the street. Big rocks are typically what you need the leverage for. Try pulling the left grip, and taking an 1/8" off each side at a time. VERY CAREFULLY go ride without the left grip and see how you like it, then take it from there :thumbsup:

Hey Guys, looking for input on bar width. My 07 SM does double duty, and for trail rides it seems way too wide. I was considering chopping a bit off the Fatbars, but I don't want to lose too much control on the street. What kind of widths are you guys running? :thumbsup:

don't be in too much of a hurry to cut down those bars, have you tried modifying your off-road riding technique to squeeze btwn the trees?

As you come up to them, give a bit of a hit of gas & turn the bars a bit crooked. The lift on the front end while turning the bars will in effect make the width a bit less......plus it's a lot of fun too!! (If you do it right, the bike will still track straight since the front end isn't on the ground).

To feel the effect of cutting the bars, just tighten up your grip a bit while on the road. If your hands are pressed against the fat part of the grip, you'll probably see 1/4" or more of the bar/grip outside of your glove. The loss of this much if cut off will not affect handling much at all. In fact................"IN MY OPINION" the loss of even a much larger width will not have much affect on your DRZ400 because it is so light already compared to Sport Bikes.

IMPORTANT SAFETY WARNING:

No matter how hard you try, even a skilled mechanic can not put back a piece of the handlebar after someone has whacked it off trying some outlandish modification !!

I hope this helps.

HappyRiding !!

:thumbsup::busted:

Why would you want to cut your bars down?? Them fat bars are expensive!!

If you pay postage I will send you a set of stock bars. You can cut them down all you like...But Wolf is right health and safety first.........Dont cut the fat bars your regret it afterwards........

Why would you want to cut your bars down?? Them fat bars are expensive!!

If you pay postage I will send you a set of stock bars. You can cut them down all you like...But Wolf is right health and safety first.........Dont cut the fat bars your regret it afterwards........

mrtclk.............thanks for the comment :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

after all, that signature line of mine certainly didn't come without "education on my part"!!

HappyRiding !!

:busted::cheers:

Most bars come with notches for where to cut, you would not be "hacking" them by any means. Check under your throttle tube :thumbsup:

put a set of aluminum bark busters on and ride on.

Way back when (in high school) I trimmed them down to 29". Bark Busters put them out to 30".

For the DRZ, I trimmed them down to 30" and the Cycras put them out to 31". Not so much to fit between the trees, but to return to stock width. Any shorter, and I run out of room for all the controls.

I'm running stock width Pro Taper bars. They seem a little narrower than the stockers and about right. Haven't been 'tree dodgin' yet.

Way back when (in high school) I trimmed them down to 29". Bark Busters put them out to 30".

For the DRZ, I trimmed them down to 30" and the Cycras put them out to 31". Not so much to fit between the trees, but to return to stock width. Any shorter, and I run out of room for all the controls.

Hi Skinny, :thumbsup:

You raised a good point... :thumbsup:

...and that's to be mindful that you need a straight section of bar to hold all of the lever and button doodads. I'd like to shorten my bars to make it easier to lanesplit, because sometimes you get awful close to people's side view mirrors.

Take Care,

Greg

How wide are the stock ones compared to the pro tapers? Those look like nice bars. Im worried about knocking mirrors offa cars when spliting lanes at stop lights. I never really believed in that untill I learned CHP uses that technique to avoid being rear ended. Thats a good excuse and I love the time it saves.

I believe the stock bars were 32" but it's been a year since I changed them out so I could be off. I cut my Pro Tapers at 30.

Im worried about knocking mirrors offa cars when spliting lanes at stop lights. I never really believed in that untill I learned CHP uses that technique to avoid being rear ended.

Hi Shred, :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing that really neat CHP tip of knocking off the cars mirrors to keep you from being rear ended...

...I just can't wait to try it out.:thumbsup:

Take Care,

Greg;)