Modding an 06 kx250 for sx tracks.

Hi guys, I currently have an 06 kx250.

I used to trail ride a lot but now i only ride at a SX style track.

I have been struggling a lot to try new jumps and i found it way easy to ride my friend´s 4 strokes. So i have been strugling wether to sell the kx250 and buy a thumper or to stick to it.

I have heard a lot of guys advice to stick to the 2 stroke, so i went ahead and decided to ask for your opinion on the best mods for the bike to perform better at a tight track with jumps right out of corners and specially to make it easier to ride.

The only mods i have done to the bike is a Pro Circuit Platinuim pipe becuase the stock one was severely bent and a bigger 52 rear sproket for better acelleration right out of corners. (Which i think is as tall as the chain guide allows it to be)

Where else do you think i can work on to get an easier to ride bike on the SX track? Will a Shorty Silencer help out? What about exhaust reed valves?.

I have been struggling with rear wheel spin when coming hard on the throttle.

What about the handling dept.? I was thinlking about lowering the clamp down the fork 5mm to make it corner better. But the rear susp. dances out of corners at braking bumps making it very dificult to commit over right out of a corner type of jumps.

It is a mainly 2nd gear track, i only use 3rd gear when short shifting a big tabletop. But most of the good guys very rarely bump into 3rd gear not even for tripleing. It´s filled with tight 180 corners and only a 90 braking bumps filled sweeping corner.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have lowered the rebound on both the fork and shock to stop the pogo stick effect onharsh landings.

I have tried several compression settings right now what seem to work the best for the track and my weight is 5 clicks to full hard on the forks and 4 on the shock.

I weight 160 pounds and i forgot to tell you that i am 28 years old with only a year of riding experience so that explains the need of an easier to ride bike.

It just seems unfair that i see less experienced guys trying out bigger jumps very easily. When i borrowed their bikes i frankly felt much more confident and i knew that if i had a bike like those i would be trying out a couple of jumps that i am too scared to try on my bike because of the uneven hit of the powerband, the rear wheel spin and the sudden unexpected tailwhip when you open up the throttle at the face of jumps.

couple of things:

one, is your chain adjusted right? (makes a huge difference)

two, I've heard a fly wheel weight works wonders 7 or 9 (feel more like a 4 St)

hope this helps.:thumbsup:

couple of things:

one, is your chain adjusted right? (makes a huge difference)

two, I've heard a fly wheel weight works wonders 7 or 9 (feel more like a 4 St)

hope this helps.:thumbsup:

I put on a 9 oz FFW and it helped with traction for sure. I know exactly what you mean when you talk about the "uneven or Unsure" power hit Going up the face of a jump. I was here before describing it as violent and unpredictable. The FWW definitly helped. In all honestly I would go heavier if I could do it over again. I cant imagine needing more power for a SC track. I ride one with the bike in 2nd gear most of the time and never have a problem with power. (05 W/stock pipe) Could it just be your setup?

I cant imagine needing more power for a SC track. I ride one with the bike in 2nd gear most of the time and never have a problem with power. (05 W/stock pipe) Could it just be your setup?

I definetely believe that it is not a power issue.

It just seems that my bike is missing a cable... the one that goes to your "huevos". (That´s a mexican expression for guts. :thumbsup:)

The chain is fine and the sprokets are only a couple of weeks old.

I understand that the bike is capable of doing lots of stuff, the deal is that I aint eager of trying out new stuff (bigger or more complicated jumps) due to what i said before.

When i was riding those 250F´s and 450´s i noticed that i would improve much better and faster on those bikes. So basically these are my questions:

Maybe a couple of mods will help out getting a more linear powerband?

Maybe suspension work will make the bike settle down coming out of corners and in the face of jumps? I have read elsewhere that the Procircuit suspension link helps out a lot. But maybe not at this level.

But maybe i just have to shut up quit complaining, stop thinking about dumping money into the bike and just with a little clicking here and there basically just connect the "Cojones" cable?

BTW One of the 250F´s that i rode had a revalved suspesnion and the ******* thing soacked up all the bracking and acelleration bumps at the track and instead of bouncing up and down when casing or overjumping the bike felt as if it had glue on the tires it soacked it up and rode forward. Pretty much confidence inspiring.

You sir would LOVE a bit of extra flywheel mass. It will definitely help your situation. It will improve roll-on power which is especially helpful out of turns. It will make the bike more 4-stroke like.

Thanks for the advice guys

I definetely believe that it is not a power issue.

It just seems that my bike is missing a cable... the one that goes to your "huevos". (That´s a mexican expression for guts. :cheers:)

The chain is fine and the sprokets are only a couple of weeks old.

I understand that the bike is capable of doing lots of stuff, the deal is that I aint eager of trying out new stuff (bigger or more complicated jumps) due to what i said before.

When i was riding those 250F´s and 450´s i noticed that i would improve much better and faster on those bikes. So basically these are my questions:

Maybe a couple of mods will help out getting a more linear powerband?

Maybe suspension work will make the bike settle down coming out of corners and in the face of jumps? I have read elsewhere that the Procircuit suspension link helps out a lot. But maybe not at this level.

But maybe i just have to shut up quit complaining, stop thinking about dumping money into the bike and just with a little clicking here and there basically just connect the "Cojones" cable?

BTW One of the 250F´s that i rode had a revalved suspesnion and the ******* thing soacked up all the bracking and acelleration bumps at the track and instead of bouncing up and down when casing or overjumping the bike felt as if it had glue on the tires it soacked it up and rode forward. Pretty much confidence inspiring.

I myself came off of a 250f, and it's weird at first. You get used to the "tractor pull effected" I've had my bike for about 3 months now and I still can't jump that thing right all the time, I sometimes loop it out. On a 4st it a little more forgiving. :thumbsup: but on a 2st it's like this sometimes :busted:

give it sometime and have fun. just my 0.02 cents :thumbsup:

Forget about buying crap for your bike it's fine.

Spend your money where it'll do you the most good.

TAKE SOME MX CLASSES!

The reason your buddies thumpers feel easier to ride around the track is that in many ways they are. Especially on a tight track like that. Way less clutching just lug through the corner and wham the power is right there where as the smoker you need to keep the rpm's up. Don't give up on your 2 stroke though

Forget about buying crap for your bike it's fine.

Spend your money where it'll do you the most good.

TAKE SOME MX CLASSES!

Where at?

In Ajonjoli, Hidalgo?

I live in Mexico buddy. I can´t go to the States just to get some classes to ride better.

I ain´t compiting nor plan to.

I´ll keep in mind the first part of your post though! :thumbsup:

I had the same problems that you mention. I was riding an 07 crf250r for 6 months and felt very comfortable at the track. When I say comfortable, what I mean by that is I am in no way clearing these table tops. I just got back into riding after 18 year layoff. I felt comfortable leaving the face of a jump on the 4t.

I sold that bike and went back to an 07 kx250. I may have ridden the bike like 3 times and on the third ride we rented out a local mx track here. I nearly shit my pants a few times because just about everything was different vs the 4stroke. Fast forward a few months, I installed the 13oz fww, stock sprockets and the rest of the bike is stock. I feel really comfortable on the bike now and haven't been back to the track since. I think you need more seat time, just my opinion. find your comfort zone. I wouldn't spend a dime on the bike yet.

I'm still trying to find the right spot in the powerband but I'm having fun with every minute I ride, I'll never go back to a 4-stroke.

return all you suspension settings back to the dead stock positions and then change from there. you sound like maybe you got a bit out of control with the clickers.

rock on.

A FWW will improve traction out of corners and make the bike more predictable, without destroying the 2-stroke fun factor. I run a 12 oz on my Honda CR250.