Sign in to follow this  

thinking of going from suzuki to ktm....

I know you guys prob get this alot, but im thinking of going from an 03 drz 400e to a ktm 450 exc or 525 exc. I ride about 99% trails, oklahoma, arkansas, colorado and new mexico...wide range. I like the idea of the 07's being street legal to get to some of the trail heads. Which bike would you guys suggest? Any particulars that stick out that i need to look for when shopping. any suggestions would be great, especially due to the nice chunk of change that will be spent!

Go for it! :thumbsup: I recently switched from an XR400 to a KTM 525 XCW and have absolutely no regrets. Once you switch to Orange you will wonder why you waited so long to make the change. :thumbsup:

The 525 EXC would be great for the open area it sounds like you are going to be riding. The EXC comes corked to make it street legal but from what I have read it is really easy to uncork and make it like the older model EXCs.

Probably for the wide open stuff you might lean toward the 525. I've got an '07 450 EXC and love it. You really can't go wrong either way.

Consider though that the '08s will be out soon and have some nice features like seperate trans and engine oil and purportedly even easier valve adjustments, but that's pretty easy already. I'd say either wait on the 08 or look for some good deals coming up on the 07s.

I have a 07 450 XCW and it rocks, I haul it to the desert. The 450 EXC would be good for the street kit riding to trailheads. I first looked seriously at the 525 and decided on the bike that was more versatile, less brutal for my riding-trails, track, desert roads, open desert. Whatever you decide, you will be very happy with orange! :thumbsup:

I recently purchased a 2007 525 EXC. I live in Colorado and our trails are generally single track slow, slippery and rocky.

I pull mine out of the garage.....Get my gear on....And proceed to haul ass up Hwy 24 for about 40 miles at 65-70 MPH and then let a touch of air pressure out of the tires and trail ride through both technical single track and some faster bermed up quad trails.

My 525 Rips. It feels light and not to big or heavy even in the tight stuff. I had a 93 KX250 that felt longer heavier and couldnt touch the handling of the 525. I also had a 2000 RM250 that was super light super twichy and really hard to trail ride.

The 450's/525 EXC's rock. The mere fact that I can basically super-moto the bike up a curvy twisty 65 MPH and then simply plop out onto the trails and rip amazes me every time I ride it!!!

I went with the 525 EXC because of the commute to the riding area.

No commute would have had me on a 450 XC with the shorter stroke harder hitting motor.

Make your call based on your riding scenario....Either way you canot go wrong. These bikes are amazing and just a month and 600 miles into my ownership of the Katoom I feel faster in every facet of my riding than ever before.

Katoom-1.jpg

Now about that larger fuel tank??? I'm eagerly awaiting my 3.1 Gallon Clark. The 65-70 mile range is not to cool....I'm tired of constantly stressing my fuel situation.

Sweet looking bike, Chazmanian - you've got that baby looking sharp! You mentioned the larger tank, here's my 450 with the XC 3.4 gallon tank:

165899825-L.jpg

165900123-L.jpg

Hopefully by this time next week I should have two more top secret components to enhance the dirt biking experience even more, if that is possible. :thumbsup:

Sweet looking bike, Chazmanian - you've got that baby looking sharp! You mentioned the larger tank, here's my 450 with the XC 3.4 gallon tank:

165899825-L.jpg

165900123-L.jpg

Hopefully by this time next week I should have two more top secret components to enhance the dirt biking experience even more, if that is possible. :thumbsup:

Do tell..... I chose the 525 exc and ride it everywhere but you cant go wrong with either one... they both weigh the same one just has a bigger engine than the other... the 450 might feel a little lighter... the 525 has more power you chose... you cant go wrong with either one... Tom

Hopefully by this time next week I should have two more top secret components to enhance the dirt biking experience even more, if that is possible.

I found out just a few days ago that I live about a mile away from Jeff Slavens the world renowned motor builder and KTM tuner....I was in the derned alley behind our locaql Katoom store store speaking with one of the mechanics about spring rates etc...When this big tall Mountain Man looking guy goes in the parts dept through the back door. My buddy says thats Jeff Slavens. I say no sheet huh? The Jeff Slavens? The guy who builds bikes for Malcolm Smith and gets write ups in dirtrider magazine? Yup.

So I ask my buddy to ask him if I could stop by his shop ( A small garage at his house) and look at getting some suspension work done?

Probably gonna be ridicoulusly expensive but....I'm taking my bike to him in the next weel or two to get both ends resprung and revalved. From what I have read Mr Slavens is capable of turning the stock suspenders on a KTM into something that feels like a straight works bike.

You only live once so I'm gonna drop some coin with the big guy and see what it feels like to ride a bike that is set up by a pro!!!

I feel that with the suspension on the 525 setup proper like that I will get to that elusive next level .......Better known as "Scary Fast"!!!!

send them to me and ill test them out for you and tell you if he did a good job or not.... :busted: ... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I rode the z400s for 4 years then switched to the 450EXC. If you never have designs on racing HS or enduros, go with the 525. I went from 400 to 450 then to the 250SXF and now I am on the 250 SX two stroke at 39 years of age. Lighter and less power is faster in the right hands. If trail riding is all you ever see in the future, go with the big bike you will love how it feels 50% lighter than the DRZ. I remember discribing the 450EXC as bicycle with a motor. Just change the oil every 5 to 7hrs and it will last for year and year.

Do tell.....

Ok, well you twisted my arm ... :thumbsup:

I've got a Rekluse Z-Start Pro on the way as well as a Renazco Racing seat. The seat should be similar to this one:

9.jpg

And of course it replaces the carbon fiber stock seat. :busted:

I'm looking forward to trying both. I'll take some photos and give a full report on each for the benefit of the collective here. :thumbsup:

Ok, well you twisted my arm ... :thumbsup:

I've got a Rekluse Z-Start Pro on the way as well as a Renazco Racing seat. The seat should be similar to this one:

9.jpg

And of course it replaces the carbon fiber stock seat. :busted:

I'm looking forward to trying both. I'll take some photos and give a full report on each for the benefit of the collective here. :thumbsup:

Is this a photo of Brown mtn orv in the Back ground.I ride there alot.Ive been thinking of getting

the EE soft seat myself, great looking bikes guys, chazmanian spends some time cleaning his, wow very sharp..

I had my suspension done By a local guy,Total Control..Holy smokes what a differance a revalve makes soaks up the rocks..let us know how you like it..

A friend of mine has the DRZ400E and likes it all but the weight..it has the yoshi and its LOUD, He,s been wanthing a KTM for years..He just has never made the swap yet..

My Appointment with the "Master" is next week.....I'm a bit concerned about the cost but?? &%$#@!.

That seat is straight pimpin'....Sumbuck looks comfly enough to sprawl out and take a nap on!!!

I really dont wash mine very often...I think I did it more for the photo than anything...I'm kinda wierd about water ven coming from a hose as I swear I can hear bearings drying out and rusting along with a multitude of other noises that I feel are water related.....I really dont like to wash this bike. It cost to much to screw up with a water hose...And cost too much to leave dirty for long. Catch 22.9 I say.:thumbsup:

Is this a photo of Brown mtn orv in the Back ground.I ride there alot.Ive been thinking of getting

the EE soft seat myself, great looking bikes guys, chazmanian spends some time cleaning his, wow very sharp..

That's James Renazco's bike - the fella that makes the seats. See http://www.renazco.com . I have no idea where the photo was taken. I think he rides a Husaberg now, though.

From what I hear his seats are hard to beat for both form and function.

That's James Renazco's bike - the fella that makes the seats. See http://www.renazco.com . I have no idea where the photo was taken. I think he rides a Husaberg now, though.

From what I hear his seats are hard to beat for both form and function.

I checked out the link, wow they look sweet But pricey as well...

sometimes you get what you pay for..

Chazmanian, I agree with you, I only use low pressure when washing my

5 year old Bike..so far so good..What kinda price is he wanting for the revalve

let us know how you like it..These Ktm;s rock theres nothing like a plush ride

My bike is like night and day from stock to now..

I checked out the link, wow they look sweet But pricey as well...

sometimes you get what you pay for..

Chazmanian, I agree with you, I only use low pressure when washing my

5 year old Bike..so far so good..What kinda price is he wanting for the revalve

let us know how you like it..These Ktm;s rock theres nothing like a plush ride

My bike is like night and day from stock to now..

Yeah...I'm almost scared of the price!!! I dont have an exact qoute but it will probably be in the $500.00+ range for front and rear?

I wanna go for it as I want to get to that "Next Level" and feel that I may not get there at 225#'s plus my gear on a stock suspended 525......Its just a sad fact. I'm a big fat ass dude!!!

Another vote for the KTM and for waiting for the 2008 engine improvements if you can. The KTM is the right match for your 95% off road idea with minimum distances on pavement. Nothing wrong with the present motors but there's talk of a lot of improvements for the 2008 bikes.

JUST DO IT!!! I made the same move last December from a '03 DRZ to a 525EXC. Best move I ever made hands down. My DRZ was a great bike (still have it for a loaner and spare) I mostly ride desert & D/S but prefer technical single track and the EXC is amazing. It's like swithcing from a VW Bug to a Viper. There are basic mods that are important but you get that with all bikes.

p174684602-0.jpg