Sign in to follow this  

Adding a kick start kit to an E

This is why all dualpurpose bikes should have battery and kick.

Imagine if you were 25 miles in the thick woods, the sun is setting, and this happens.

For 3-400 bucks get a kick starter added to your bike.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't want to have to worry about my battery, and I don't want to have to ride a full half an hour every time I start my bike just so it'll charge the battery to full. Therefore a kick start kit would be optimal. However, $300-400 is a good bit of cash. I found one on Ebay, and am wondering what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170126861450&rd=1&rd=1

This does seem to have more than a few parts, does anybody know how hard these are to install? Thanks in advance.

So only Suzuki makes this kit, and I don't have to worry about some crappy generic version not being up to snuff? GOOD.

Also thanks for the link!! That'll help. I wonder if there's anywhere I can get the kit cheaper...

Also, from reading up it's my understanding that I need to keep my (very weak) battery on the bike to be able to start it, but I will still be able to run headlights, taillight, etc... am I correct? (I know I could replace the battery with a capacitor or whatever but I don't feel like buying more stuff if a weak battery and kickstarter will work... I just won't use the electric start because it's too weak)

I think you should repair your bike properly before you start the mods. It is a good habit to get into, making sure it is always 100% right. No half measures when you are working on a bike. Having everything work is too important.

Plus it will cost you less money to replace the battery than it will to put on a kicker kit.

Plus it will cost you less money to replace the battery than it will to put on a kicker kit.

True, but what killed my last battery (I think) was not letting it run long enough to replace the juice that was depleted by simply starting the bike. I live in an apartment so I can't really take the bike into a garage every night and plug it into my Battery Tender Junior, otherwise I'd just get a new battery. And there's no way I'm taking the battery out of the bike and bringing it inside with me every night, just to reinstall it in the morning, either.

So, I figure, I might as well install a kick starter. And if I don't need full battery power since I won't be using battery to start the bike, then why buy a new battery? Do I need it for something else?

this is where i got mine

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/cycle/suzuki-dr/

took about 4 hours for me...little slow, had probs keeping the clutch basket still while i tried to tighten the bolt. Make sure to read the instructions and look at that webb site of Cobbs. In his pict he didnt put that he installed the 'stopper' or something at the first of installation. good luck. mine works great and bike kicks off on first or second kick

I also bought one on ebay, and $185 was the best price I could find for a new kit.

Weak or bad battery could cause premature failure of the charging

system due to being overworked all the time.

Weak or bad battery could cause premature failure of the charging

system due to being overworked all the time.

Good point. But if I don't need the charging system because I rely on kick starting it, I mean... I might be forfeiting the charging system to early failure because I don't want to spend $90 on a new batt. but that isn't really an issue right (because of the kick start)?

(edit) why is the Ebay item called a "BACK UP kick start kit"? Just bought one.

Good point. But if I don't need the charging system because I rely on kick starting it, I mean... I might be forfeiting the charging system to early failure because I don't want to spend $90 on a new batt. but that isn't really an issue right (because of the kick start)?

(edit) why is the Ebay item called a "BACK UP kick start kit"? Just bought one.

Technically it is a backup. The E start it supposed to be the first choice. I have a kick start kit on my S and it has given he more than a few saves.

Be very careful putting in the kick start kit. The final assmebly of the kick gear spring, keepers, etc... Is a pain in the :thumbsup: . I messed mine up and broke the stop off my engine case. There is no way to fix that.... :thumbsup: I lucked out and found new crank cases on ebay.

For your battery, get a new one and hook it up to a tender when not in use. The DRZ has a constant drain on the battery and it will run down.

Ok, I'm glad it's a backup as in "there wasn't one originally so this is a backup" instead of "this is a frail product that will probably work but it isn't fantastic". Is it the same mechanism and construction as the one on the S? (I believe that has kick start, right?)

I'm planning on having the shop put the kit on for me. That way, I won't break anything, and if the shop does, they'll have to fix/replace it. If I attempt this myself I'll for sure find that I don't have the tools, then for some reason I won't be able to put back together to get it to the shop, and I'd realize that that was what I should have done in the first place. So I'm going to forego the whole "I'll just do it myself"...*work work*..."oh crap" process. HOPEfully it won't take them four hours, at $65 and hour!! Plus, I need them to reconnect the speedometer's sensor cable to the mechanism on the front wheel. And to change the sprockets for me. And probably chain.