450x engine vs DRZ400 engine?

This is an unusual topic and worded so that it qualifies for this area where I think I would like it qualified. As a 450x dirt biker, if you were going to buy an sport ATV for guests and as a back up vehicle and tow out vehicle, forget for a moment the attributes of the manufacturer chassis and controls involved. Strictly from engine performance and reliability basis, which would you be more comfortable with and what would be the benefits?

For me I think I am leaning toward buying the Z400 so that as my guest and rescue vehicle it will always be ready with few issues and because it has 5 speeds pulse reverse and the 450x does not. I have to make up my mind before next week as I will be buying one or the other.:thumbsup:

I am assuming you are asking about a honda trx 450 which has the 450 x like engine. Based or that, reliability, less maintenance , and the most important attribute for a quad especially for a guest, Reverse. The Z 400 is the way to go. By the way I own a 450X and a Z 400 -No problems yet with the Z 400.

Thanks for the honest reply. As much as I liked my now sold DRZ400s bullet proof, super reliable and low maintenance engine, the extra 70 pounds on the S model was inescapable. But for a sport quad engine I think its perfect. I want to make a tow harness for it so I can lift tow my X by the front wheel out of the desert when it brakes down.

I am assuming you are asking about a honda trx 450 which has the 450 x like engine. Based or that, reliability, less maintenance , and the most important attribute for a quad especially for a guest, Reverse. The Z 400 is the way to go. By the way I own a 450X and a Z 400 -No problems yet with the Z 400.

i would go with the z400. I owned a drz400s and it had over 12,000 miles on it when i sold it and the valves were never close to being out of specs yet... and it held 2 quarts of oil... now i own a street legal 450x and it is a blast... way more power but in the long run i thing the suzuki would out last the honda. after all yoshimura did design and build the motor for the drz400 so you know it is good

I have owned the Z400 quad. Probably the best all-around machine on the market today. Very reliable and nice handling. A descent choice for towing, but not the ultimate.

I had the choice between keeping the Honda 400EX or the Z400, and I chose to keep the EX because it is torquey off the bottom and doesn't mind being ridden slow and luged down....the EX is the ultimate technical trail quad. The Z on the other hand likes to rev and isn't so torquey, so it is less fun at low speed because there is some clutch work involved. It's a better machine however for fast open trails and wide open country. The Z really didn't have a place in my stable seeing I had my trail quad requirements filled by the EX, so I let it go.

The 450's on the other hand are all rev! Lots of miserable clutch work on a slow tight trail or towing. Absolutely superb however for flying in the open desert! The Honda 450R is the king of the big desert endurance races (Baja, Vegas to Reno, etc.). If you aren't on the Honda, you probably won't even finish much less win...that says it all for me!

The 450's on the other hand are all rev! Lots of miserable clutch work on a slow tight trail or towing. Absolutely superb however for flying in the open desert! The Honda 450R is the king of the big desert endurance races (Baja, Vegas to Reno, etc.). If you aren't on the Honda, you probably won't even finish much less win...that says it all for me!

....I never knew! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:busted: (knowing he meant TRX450R)