Sign in to follow this  

Cam Shaft help

Hi. I have a '93 Xlr 250 that has seized. I am in the process of tearing it down to find out what is wrong. I started by taking the top end apart and noticed that my cam shaft and rocker arms are heavily worn, the cam shaft has a lip etc. I figure that whilst I'm there I may as well replace what is needed.

Anyway, as the bike is seized I am unable to rotate the cam shaft. This means that I am unable to get to one of the bolts holding the top cam chain cog onto the cam shaft. How the hell can I get the cam shaft out if I can't get the top cog loose? Will I need to come in from the bottom?

Any ideas greatly appreciated. I am not too mechanical so if this doesn't make sense I can try and post some pictures to explain.

Also, does anybody have any recommendations on where to get xr parts in the UK?

Cheers.

The cam chain is probably toast anyway, cut it and then you can turn the cam.

Is that really the only way? From what little I can see the chaing looks fine. I rather not break it until I am absolutely sure it needs replacing. If I have to replace the chain I guess I'll need to replace the runners and cogs too. I rather do that only if I have to and not just because the camshaft needs replacing. The $$$ are starting to add up and I haven't even found out why it is seized yet.

I want to see this through but I also want to do it the clever way, i.e. not replace everything for the sake of it.

Did you loosen the cam chain tensioner? If not, take it off and it should give you enough slack to spin the cam.

Hi xr440Cc

I did manage to loosen the cam chain tensioner. It took some doing mind. Anyway, with the chain tensioner loosened I was able to force the flywheel a little. I could hear the grinding inside, but it had to be done. I now have the camshaft off and it is not pretty. It looks like a piece has come off one of the rocker arms and fused itself to the camshaft causing the part of the cylinder head it rests on to be gouged. Still, a new camshaft should sort all that out.

Now I have to get the sodding clutch off. Why couldn't Honda use a standard lock nut on the main clutch shaft instead of the 4 pin locking bolt.:thumbsup: I now have to try and make something to undo the bloody thing, either that or pay through the nose for a 4 pin socket that I will only ever use once.:busted: That's assuming I can tap the lock out without screwing up the clutch shaft. What do people recommend for that? The book says to drill it out, but the idea of drilling so close to that shaft scares me.

It's all fun though.:thumbsup: