Triple Clamp Install

I tried the search feature but didn't find an answer. I am ordering the Universal 20 mm lower and upper triple clamps with the steering stem and bearings for my 04 crf450r. The bearing and stem look to be already installed in the picture. The searches mostly said that I would need a press to get the old stuff out and new in:crazy: . I am not a super-tech:naughty: . Any help on if I can do it myself? If I need to buy a press I will just take it in to the local mech.

If all you need is bearing install,warm up the bearing in the oven ,and put the stem in the freezer it will just fall on.be sure to pack your bearing afterwards ,the 250 to 300 degrees will melt the grease out,myself I drill and tap the frame area where the stem goes and put in a grease zerk,a couple of pumps a month keeps the steering bearing greased.

If all you need is bearing install,warm up the bearing in the oven ,and put the stem in the freezer it will just fall on.be sure to pack your bearing afterwards ,the 250 to 300 degrees will melt the grease out,myself I drill and tap the frame area where the stem goes and put in a grease zerk,a couple of pumps a month keeps the steering bearing greased.

That has worked for me for other things, but it sure didn't work with my Universal clamp/stem. That's why I ended up taking it to a shop. For the $10-$15 bucks (and much less time) it was worth it. Not to mention I ruined a bearing!

For a single bolt-on part, you'll be removing a lot of fasteners. Make sure you torque all back to spec - loosing a steering system (while riding) wouldn't be good. It's a pretty easy install, lot's of big, out-in-the-open stuf.

Get some blue loc-tite too.

Good info till you installed a grease fitting on the frame. I don't know what to say about that. ?

What size is the zerk skip?

I used a 1/4 inch tap and zerk,think it was 1/4x 20 thread,got the tap and drill at home depot and the 1/4 zerk at the parts store,I have used this on numeros bikes thru the years,some older bikes I had to fiberglass in the tubes which were welded into the head ,the newer hondas are solid inside and it works like a bearing packer,grease until it comes out ,I do it monthly and haven't had bearing problems since,have tapped a lot of friends bikes as well.