New to enduro, what do I need?

Hey,

I'm an intermediate motocross racer and am thinking about going out to race in the Caney Creek Enduro this Sept. I have an 06 Kx450f and need to figure out what I need to have for this race. I really need to keep cost in mind seeing as how I'm a punk college kid with not much cash at all. I think I'm going to go ahead and enter into the novice C class which runs the short course. I'm pretty good at throttle control and grew up chasing my dad through the mesquite trees and cacti of south Texas. I know Caney Creek is a particularly rough place, my dad won there years and years ago, I just don't know what the essentials are.

Thanks for your help in advance guys.

rock on.

I guess that depends on how serious you want to be.

At the bare minimum I'd say you should have a set of brush guards and a camel back.

After that a skid plate may be good if it's rocky. If not don't worry about it.

Some trail side tools could be useful though I know a lot of guys that don't carry any with them.

Since it's your first enduro I would not worry about time keeping. If they are using the new enduro rules you won't need any time keeping and if they are using the old rules just look real careful at the riders on both the minute in front of you and the guys on your row. Just stick with them and you will do fine.

Good luck and welcome to the world of enduros. :thumbsup:

do you think that i'll be fine with the stock tank? and, do you think i can get away with acerbis flag style handguards instead of the full fledged bark busters?

rock on.

I'd go with the full fledged bark busters. I've got a set of MSR's on the WR400, laid her over 2 wks ago at the hare scrambles hard enough to bend the bars but the msr units held firm. IMHO The flag style are more for looks. if there are any trees on the course, you will want the bark busters

Hey,

I'm an intermediate motocross racer and am thinking about going out to race in the Caney Creek Enduro this Sept. I have an 06 Kx450f and need to figure out what I need to have for this race. I really need to keep cost in mind seeing as how I'm a punk college kid with not much cash at all. I think I'm going to go ahead and enter into the novice C class which runs the short course. I'm pretty good at throttle control and grew up chasing my dad through the mesquite trees and cacti of south Texas. I know Caney Creek is a particularly rough place, my dad won there years and years ago, I just don't know what the essentials are.

Thanks for your help in advance guys.

rock on.

im also new to enduro. what type of guards are bark busters?

camel back.

:thumbsup:

whats a camel back?

you need a tackomiter speedomiter stopwatch and roll chart if you want to do really good

check to see if they require lights on your bike. Rules for enduros sometimes require headlight and taillight...

Motocross is fun but you are on the right track, the Enduros are the best bang for the buck, for $40 you ride for 6 hours, usually on terrain that you would not normally be allowed to ride.

I rode one guys propery in RI that he gave up to a club to use for a hare scramble style loop on his property, fresh trail never used, it was awesome.

During the road sections you get to wave at people and receive their warm reception back.

I had a police officer stopping traffic for me at the last one, that was so cool.

What a great feeling to have finshed the race.

I now wonder what the hell I was waiting for. For the northeast rider who had not attended the ecea or netra enduro's, get going....

Look up the sandy lane in NJ from the meteor motorcyle club ECEA....

Wow that was fun, can you imagine my fellow minute rider and I both wiped out in the final huge sand berms, both laughing our ass off but tired, both winning our class. Plus the two guys I rode down with trophied as well.

If you need someone to explain stuff you can PM me and I'll help you get started, ride my minute, and share the fun.

FOR sure you will be needing a quiet muffler with spark arrestor. Then Bark busters. Cut your bars down to at least 30".

Dwight