Sign in to follow this  

What is this business about trials tires?

Been reading some threads about trials tires. Wondering why people use them if they are not riding trials events. Anyone? :thumbsup:

Long lasting and great hookup on rocks and stuff. Some people find them superior in most types of terrain than knobbies.

What would you recommend for a good trials tire then? I know I should search but we already have a thread open here :thumbsup:

Been reading some threads about trials tires. Wondering why people use them if they are not riding trials events. Anyone? :thumbsup:

There is alot of discussion at KTM talk on trials tires. I for one am a recent convert. Here is the basic deal. The up side. There is no doubt that trials tires get better traction over a wide variety of terrain and conditions. Because they hook up better they are less prone to tearing up the trails. Old school trail riders have known this for along time. Down side is that they are totally no bueno at speed on pavement. And they are questionable for racing. I know you would think, hey if they are that good why wouldn't guys use them for racing. I'm not sure. I know I will keep them on my bike when I race, but I'm slow. And that might be the deal on why guys don't like them for races. Maybe they just stop being good when you get going fast. I couldn't say since I'm not fast. But I can tell this I found a huge difference for me on tight tech. single track compared to the tire I was using [maxxis mx it].

What would you recommend for a good trials tire then? I know I should search but we already have a thread open here :thumbsup:

Go over to ktmtalk there is excellent threads on trial tire comparisons. But to save you time. Mitas are the best imho. But unfortunatly you can't get them at the momment. There is only one distributor for the U.S. and he is out until sometime in August. You'll have to go to ktmtalk to find the dist. link. Sorry I'm just a little to lazy right now to go get it. Maybe someone else will drop it in. Anyway I went with the Dunlop as second choice.

Great traction, less impact on trails, they soak up small bumps/roots via low psi(7-12psi), awesome wear were talking triple what you get from a knobby, only down fall is AWFUL breaking. I would never race on a trials tire but for casual tire riding they are hard to beat, espeicailly if your a lugger or short shifter, guys who like to roost or brake slide will hate this tire.

A friend just did the trials tire deal. He says they a great. I doubt it. I'm the pickiest tire guy I know. Most of the tires people use today IMHO are junk,if not down right unsafe. M-12 and S-12 are unsafe, IMHO. And there are tens of thousands of them out there. Usually people will ride a tire til it's twice past dead. After that, ball bearings would work "great" as well. As for tearing up the trails, it won't matter. The eco-communists don't want anything in the woods, 2T, 4T, electric, they don't care. It's not a pollution problem, or noise problem or enviromental problem. They ( the eco-nazi's) want total control over everything. Because we are too stupid to take care of yourself. And they are smarter than us, andthey care about their god mother earth more than we do. Again, just my.02. But when I ride with my friend who bought trials tires, I'll post it here. I'll throw my arthritic leg over it myself.

An IRC tube type rear runs @ 80 bucks, they are stupid easy to take on and off - and last for 600+ miles. Try one, if it doesn't work for you, so be it - you are only out $80. If you find you like them, well then...

Personally I prefer them over knobbies everywhere, even short street sections. When I go to Baja I'll run something else, but for where and how I ride everyday they just work. They favor a stand-up weight-forward riding style, they do not brake slide worth a damn and at first they will freak you out on fast hardpack and pavement (then you just learn to ignore it, it is NOT going to slide out). If any one of those is a deal breaker for you then you probably won't put a second one on - either way its only $80.

As for tearing up the trails, it won't matter. The eco-communists don't want anything in the woods, 2T, 4T, electric, they don't care. It's not a pollution problem, or noise problem or enviromental problem.

Screw that - the reason not to tear up trails is because I don't want to ride on torn up trails, it doesn't have a thing to do with any eco-anything.

• Like 1

There is alot of discussion at KTM talk on trials tires. I for one am a recent convert. Here is the basic deal. The up side. There is no doubt that trials tires get better traction over a wide variety of terrain and conditions. Because they hook up better they are less prone to tearing up the trails. Old school trail riders have known this for along time. Down side is that they are totally no bueno at speed on pavement. And they are questionable for racing. I know you would think, hey if they are that good why wouldn't guys use them for racing. I'm not sure. I know I will keep them on my bike when I race, but I'm slow. And that might be the deal on why guys don't like them for races. Maybe they just stop being good when you get going fast. I couldn't say since I'm not fast. But I can tell this I found a huge difference for me on tight tech. single track compared to the tire I was using [maxxis mx it].

Been using the Dunlop trials tire for over a year and really like it. I think the reason racers don't like the tire is because there not good for rear end steering, they don't like to be forced to spin or slide. I was surprised to see they work great in mud and wet conditions as long as your not spinning wildly...even deep mud. There soft compound still works great even when the knobs are worn and falling off. I've got a new tire in the garage to be mounted be I'll just keep riding the worn tire until I have time to change it. I'm riding much more difficult rocky terrain with more confidence since I changed over. Hope this helps a little...:thumbsup:

Have a couple rides on an IRC and for my style of riding it is the perfect tire. I don't ride street unless I have to and most of my riding is in my first 3 gears so their high speed performance is not an issue

They work just as well if not better in the snow also. We were riding in the high sierras last week and found a patch of snow to play in. I was able to get just as far up it as the guys with the knobbies, and they were better riders than me. Try them I think you'll like them unless as stated in the previous post you like to slide into corners and roost out.

A few years ago I was talking to James Dean via email about jetting and asked him about a picture he had up with a trials tire on his KTM, up on a Colorado ride. He said it worked great on the trails, but had literally shelled itself after all the high-speed road work involved inbetween trails.

Having personally owned a Gas Gas 300 Pro trials bike I can say the tires are amazing, even more so on wet & muddy stuff. But, on the GG you never went more than 20 mph or so.

I´ve just installed a Dunlop 803 in my TE450 and rode about 3 hours with it on tights trails. So far I like them very much. A lot of traction (I was surprised on how it makes the bike wheelie on rocky soil) and make for a very plush ride. Haven´t tried them in mud or wet/very slippery terrain yet. You have to handle the throttle in a different (more gentle) way compared to knobbies.

Only downside for me so far is that I probably cant use a Bib Mousse with it.

Hmmmm. I've rethought my position on trials tires. I am no longer advocating that people at least try one. Instead I'm going to tell everyone they are gawd-aweful, squirrelly, snot-slick and $10 of every trials tire purchase goes straight to the Sierra Club. Stay away, staaaaay awaaaaay.

Hell, i can barely keep up as it is, if everyone else starts riding trials tires then there goes my crutch....

Great replies!

My stock Pirelli whatever it is on the TC450 is just about toast and I've been considering the Maxxis Desert IT pretty heavily since I ride something like 75% desert.

The high speed part about trials tires worries me since I spend quite a bit of time over 50mph in sand and loose rocky hardpack getting to and from singletrack. Maybe when I get an extra set of wheels I will grab a trials set for woods and technical riding.

Great replies!

My stock Pirelli whatever it is on the TC450 is just about toast and I've been considering the Maxxis Desert IT pretty heavily since I ride something like 75% desert.

The high speed part about trials tires worries me since I spend quite a bit of time over 50mph in sand and loose rocky hardpack getting to and from singletrack. Maybe when I get an extra set of wheels I will grab a trials set for woods and technical riding.

If you get the Maxxis get the regular IT and not the desert IT they wear longer from my expirience, better yet try the Dunlop 952, very similar to the Maxxis in both tread design and wear but quite a bit lighter.

O.K. I am going to throw my 2 cents in. I have one on my Husky now and would recommend going with the Dunlop. The Michelin second if you are feeling rich or on your second tire and want to try it. The Dunlop rear is a tubeless only and the michelin sells both styles. The Dunlop is almost half the price as the Michelin and the gummy feeling is close to the same as Michelin. Just got a IRC for a old Enduro 175 and it is harder of a compound. I had a slightly used Michelin tube type lying around and that is what I am riding now. My buddy on a KTM 200 has the Dunlop with several hundred miles. I read where the Michelin tube type did not spin the valve stem as easy but mine is turned somewhat now. The KTM with the Dunlop has not changed. They are really good on the nasty stuff. They are bad when you want to break slide the back in around as they tend to want to go straight. Also in turns they do not have as much lean angle so you start using the berms a little more. You really have to try one and see for yourself. I do like it and not having to change a tire all the time is nice as well. I rode with one at the Snowshoe GNCC and was passing bikes left and right on the root/rock infested hills. People were zig zagging trying to miss some nasty roots where my bike would ride right over them even wheeling at times. When it came into a deeper muddy section that ate the front wheel that is when I missed the knobby. Once the trials tire breaks traction it loses its grip faster than a knobby and does not have as much forward bite in the mud. The key is try not to spin it. The bike will go up some pretty incredible stuff that would have been impossible before. Racing on one I have not decided yet. I guess it depends on the race. Hare Scrambles anymore seem to be mostly fast stuff.

I just threw a Dunlop D803 on the back of my TE250, just waiting to go riding now!!!

What about front trials tires? Anyone?

What about front trials tires? Anyone?

Coffee is running one and likes it.