Getting rid of my Yamaha FZ6, looking at 400SM- suggestions?

I do a lot of street riding, but recently started playing in the dirt with one of my dad's enduros. We have some small tracks out by us that have jumps around 4 feet or so. Would the SM be alright for this? Do I need to get different tires or rims?

Also, how does the SM do for long rides? I do a lot of 100-500 mile rides, will this be ok on this bike?

100 miles will be alright. 200 will be a long ass day and anything more will make you say "Please no".

I absolutely love my SM - but comfort is something that is lacking.

I can't imagine the bike is any good on an MX track- I sold off a CR250 to get the SM. If you want to do long street rides and hit a motocross style track - keep the FZ6 and pickup an older MX bike.

If you want a street hooligan bike that absolutely rocks on slow roads and city streets, go get the SM.

100 miles will be alright. 200 will be a long ass day and anything more will make you say "Please no".

I absolutely love my SM - but comfort is something that is lacking.

I can't imagine the bike is any good on an MX track- I sold off a CR250 to get the SM. If you want to do long street rides and hit a motocross style track - keep the FZ6 and pickup an older MX bike.

If you want a street hooligan bike that absolutely rocks on slow roads and city streets, go get the SM.

This sucks cause the SM looks so damn sick. Another question to is how fast can the SM go? Would it be able to cruise at highway speeds (70-80) and still have room to accelerate? I would hate to wind out the engine to keep up with traffic. That's one thing I like about the FZ6 is not having to worry about killing the engine to keep up.

head down full throttle burried i've seen 95

Cruising speed is comfy at about 60. I have a full yosh and jetted stock carb - in 5th gear I can twist to wide open and accelerate very quickly (well quickly for a single cylinder 400). It won't be anything like that I4 600 you're use too.

For what you want to do I don't think the SM would be a good choice. I would stay with what you have and get a used MX bike as others have said.

If you want a street legal Enduro you may be able to get and S, strip it down, redo the suspension, mod it so its faster, then take it to the track. It will not be the best bike for a MX track but you could make it work if money was no object.

TO haul at 70-80 and still have room, you need a pipe, fcr, big bore and cams, unless you weigh under 120. It will not pull roll on wheelies at highway speeds like your crotch rocket. If you dont mind a little vibration you can cruise at highway sppeds tho, just in the slow lane (for me 6' 4" 375)

TO play enduro, you would need a second set of dirt wheels with some 50/50 tires like Dunlop 606's or Kenda Trackmasters. I went full knobby on mine (Scorpion Pro)but they are too knobby for the highway.

You could technically keep the 17" rims and put some dirt wheels on them. Its a pretty popular mod these days. Although i'm sure a lot of people will disagree with this idea, from what I hear tho, the setup seems to be pretty sweet. If you wanna ride really really hard in the dirt tho, get a set of rims off the S model or something and put whatever tires u want on. As for comfort for long rides.. Get a gel seat or something if its an issue. The Drz is a great all around bike, I truely suggest you get it!

My SM easily pulls 100+. Has FCR, E Headpipes and E cams. changed gearing from stock 15/41 to 16/41. Highway riding is no problem, butt comfort (even with a Corbin) is.

That said, there have been tales of a few DRZers crossing the country on them, doing 800 miles a day. Never said they are the sharpest pencils in the box. Either that or they are paralyzed from the waist down, or are now!

See this thread:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530199