Super Moto

Are SM bikes really as awesome as all the hype around them wants to make us beleive? or are they just a compromise for someone who can't afford to have a street bike and a dirtbike?

I'm not taking about the supermoto races, but just the SM style bike for people in general who are going to use it on the street and/or wood.

I think personally, I'd rather ride my DRZ400E ( which is plated to ride from trail to trail or when I go backpacking for a few days ) on the dirt and use my GSX-R1000 for the street. I dont see the excitement in riding a low HP bike that tops out at 130 km/h on the highway.

I might just be missing something totally awesome.. :thumbsup:

I dunno I have an R1 and have had sport quads and motocross bikes. I absolutely love my DRZ-400SM. I didn't even put my R1 on the road this year.

My almost stock SM will top out at 160km/h or so.You can ride fast on twisty back roads and through the rain on sticky sport/track tires.And stop on a dime with the huge brakes.

I only use mine on the street and have put over 13,000km in the last year and a half.I ride just about every day and go on frequent day trips around New England.

yes they do live up to the hype.they are not a substitution. if i had the extra money id prob have a crotch rocket in the garage in addition to my sm although it still wouldnt see as many miles per month as my sm.You can not plate an E in cali and in the dirt for the type of riding i do an E doesnt cut it.personally i need a bike thats not as heavy with much more hp that can pound woops in 5th gear for miles on end. i guess the point is it depends on the type of riding you enjoy.you then buy a bike based on your needs. i must say though, my sm is the best bike ive owned in years

There is just something special (almost illegal feeling) about riding a dirt bike on the street. Add to that the performance and handling that comes with the 17s and big brakes and it just gets better. Sure they aren't too fast stock, but they make up for it in tossabilty and size.

There is just something special (almost illegal feeling) about riding a dirt bike on the street. Add to that the performance and handling that comes with the 17s and big brakes and it just gets better. Sure they aren't too fast stock, but they make up for it in tossabilty and size.

+1 :thumbsup:

Yep, thats all that needs to be said. I do miss my R6 every now and then....

SM is great! Get one and you'll thank us.

Are SM bikes really as awesome as all the hype around them wants to make us beleive? or are they just a compromise for someone who can't afford to have a street bike and a dirtbike?

I'm not taking about the supermoto races, but just the SM style bike for people in general who are going to use it on the street and/or wood.

I think personally, I'd rather ride my DRZ400E ( which is plated to ride from trail to trail or when I go backpacking for a few days ) on the dirt and use my GSX-R1000 for the street. I dont see the excitement in riding a low HP bike that tops out at 130 km/h on the highway.

Right tool for the right job is what it's about here.

And in all seriousness, if drudging along the slab, at high speed, "on the highway", in a straight line is what you're concerned with, then you've got the wrong bike yourself. That gixxer is meant for the curves. Put us together on a track and same rider on both bikes should run away on the gixxer, but on the back roads during everyday riding the SM will tear the gixxer up. Never mind the grin factor during the process.

I have a bad-ass sport tourer, and a bad-ass DRZ-S. That said, I got a set of 17's for the DRZ because it's so much fun to ride, long distance or short, IMO. I have done all-day rides on my '06 SM before I sold it. My only complaint was the seat. Renazco is doing my '07 S seat next week!

The DRZ isn't the best for highway, but if you're on two-lanes, it's the way to go! Keeping up with the sport bikes is not an issue until you hit a long straight. It doesn't matter, though, as you catch up to them after a turn or two anyway.

I think wringing the snot out of an underpowered (or adequately powered) bike is a lot more fun than getting the crap scared out of you by an overpowered one.

Additionally, riding an underpowered bike will teach you to be a better rider, focusing on your line instead of flying down each straight to crawl through the corners.

I have to agree 100%. I have a '05 R1 along with my '06 SM and lately I've been racking up more miles on the sumo than the R1. Don't get me wrong, I still love my R1, but the sumo is just a different kind of fun. If you're fortunate enough to have 2 bikes then a sportbike and a sumo are a great combination. :thumbsup:

Seems to me that I can remember my sport bike wasn't a comfortable highway bike either. It's rider position sucked for long rides. The SM's position is fine, just needs a better seat. So the way I look at it is I'd rather have a cushy seat on my sumo, than ape hangers on my sportbike. IMHO, there is really only one type of bike designed for the highway anyway, and you won't be draggin a knee on it, or talking about it here. The Sumo has it's purpose, as do all bikes, but I don't think you'll find too many guys here that will say sumo's suck.

ive just stepped into the supermoto scene with the purchase of my 06drzsm this spring and have to say they are way fun!!!!!!!!! i have a rc51 for a street bike and i road race a sv1000 and they both are very fun.but as for ridding in the tight twisties on the street im flogging my drz harder than i ever would my sportbike there very confidence inspiring bikes.only prob ive found with the drz is that bone stock the hp isnt the greatest but with some modds it defenitly gets better im around $1100.00 now.............sorry i must go now and order my big bore kit lol..................wayne

SM....You can push it real hard & its very forgiving.

Smiles & laughs everytime you ride them.(see above)

Make you a better rider you have to plan your overtakes, not power past.

Less likely to end up behind bars on a long strait(high speeds on a sportbike feel never feel that fast).

Great for wheelies etc. ( not every ones cup of tea i know)

Had lots of bikes but supermoto partically the DRZ has and still is the most enjoyment i've had on a bike.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :busted:

Think of it this way its a lot more fun to go fast on something slow than go slow on something fast.

You can top out a SM good luck doing that on super bike on the streets.

I had and R6 back in college and after taking it to the track i lost interest of riding it on the streets.

Don't forget all the cheap mods you can do :thumbsup:

And the real 'spensive ones too :thumbsup:

Maybe its becuase I do a lot of track days, but I assumed the track type was where the sm was aimed. A dual sport S model is aimed at the woods type.

Most track day /racer types have a lot of fun riding light bikes that handle. It is rarely about the top end. There are people who crave big hp, but your average fast guy is riding a 600, not a 1000cc. And its mainly because its lighter and easier to go fast with. SM's are super light and handle great in the twisties. And a good rider can give alomost anyone a good run for their money in the tight stuff. And its cheap on many levels. Its a very affordable way to do track days. I did 12 trackdays in the past few weeks. And I did it on one set of tires. On my Ducati or R1, I would have gone thru a set of tires almost every day.

And last but not least. Its always fun to ride a slow bike fast. Riding anything at its limit is a gas. If I was not a track junky, I doubt I would own an SM. And S yes, but not an SM. No matter how much I use it now. It was the track that pulled me in to the SM world. And now I am hooked and I have 2 other bikes collectiing dust.

picture a bus and a bicycle going downhill on a twisty mountain road. the bus is faster, but wouldn't it be more fun on the bicycle?

I sold my sport bike.

Simple as that.

It depends where you ride. On the highway or on relatively open twisty roads, a sportbike makes more sense. But when things get tight and bumpy, or especially in the city, you can't beat a supermoto. I live in Manhattan, where streets are full of potholes and traffic. Riding a sportbike here is a huge pain and screws up the bike. A dualsport or a supermoto works waaaaay better.

Would I have a supermoto as my only bike? No, because I like the power and long-distance ability of larger bikes. But for riding in the city dual sports and supermotos are awesome.