te 450 radiator issue

I know pictures tell a 1000 words, but the bike is over at a friends right now. So I'll try to describe to the best of my ability the problem. I was in the process of going over a log when just as I got over, poof the classic spontaneous over heat. I look down and see the left lower rad. hose dangling. Hey no big deal I thought the hose just popped off. But no. its the metal tube fitting blown or torn right out of the rad. Not a good sight at 8:00 pm trail ride. Anyway we were able to by pass the dead rad and ride out on one. Which brings up another point. From here on out I will always be prepared for this kind of problem. Luckly there was a few of us and one guy had some clamps and we used flashlight to plug the hoses. [ McGiver would have been proud] Back to my main point. Has anyone exprienced something like this. Its a little bit of a mystery right now. I'm thinking that a dead branch kicked up and hit it. I see no reason for this to be an over heat issuse I was just cruising down a flat trail. I did over heat the bike about 20 mins earlier on a long hill climb. It did the tea kettle thing blowing off at the overflow cap. If it was a branch as I'm suspecting I need to get some sort of guard. Any thought will be greatly apprieciated.

Forest gremlins and elves - sneaky little buggers.

I'm stopping at Ace Hardware on the way home to buy some more clamps and another flashlight :thumbsup: (maybe find some brass pieces to fit those hoses :thumbsup:, since I may need my flashlight some time).

Remember to tell Dan NOT to send you the first radiator he sent me (long story). :busted:

Forest gremlins and elves - sneaky little buggers.

I'm stopping at Ace Hardware on the way home to buy some more clamps and another flashlight :thumbsup: (maybe find some brass pieces to fit those hoses :thumbsup:, since I may need my flashlight some time).

Remember to tell Dan NOT to send you the first radiator he sent me (long story). :busted:

Hey Mark, Thanks for the clamps and the flashlight. You saved the day or should I say evening. It was hard enough riding out in the dark. Towing a bike out would have made it even more so. Hey we should send a photo to the flashlight manufacturor. Maybe we could get some free flashlights.

I've had mine tear the hose and break the clamp right where it comes out of the waterpump. That was caused just from falling over in some rocks. I now carry extra clamps and that specific hose when I ride. Nice job using the flashlight to block the hose to bad you didn't get a picture of it.

I've had mine tear the hose and break the clamp right where it comes out of the waterpump. That was caused just from falling over in some rocks. I now carry extra clamps and that specific hose when I ride. Nice job using the flashlight to block the hose to bad you didn't get a picture of it.

There should be some pics to come. We got in late back to Sharpie1's and priorites being what they may we had to have a few beers plus his kid was at a sleepover so who knows what kind of mischief he may have gotten into. So I'm guessing that Sharpie1 the man with the camera will post them up soon.

I dont have any good pics of the actual damage but here is some of the fix in progress-

july07044.jpg

july07043.jpg

july07042.jpg

july07041.jpg

And a couple from before the incident-

NAGA

july07040.jpg

mfletch

july07039.jpg

wow, whatta neat place to ride, we dont get anything like that in il.

Jeez, I look like a deer in the headlights

Where were you riding? It looks awesome.

I carry extra clamps, several sizes of each, and spare fuel line but not any spare rad hoses... perhaps *another* trip to kragen is in order.

Where were you riding? It looks awesome.

I carry extra clamps, several sizes of each, and spare fuel line but not any spare rad hoses... perhaps *another* trip to kragen is in order.

The trail starts about 6 houses down the street from my house, we ride almost every Sunday and we'll try for an afternoon ride during the week. Maybe Wednesday after work this week, its only 20 minutes from where you live.

The trail starts about 6 houses down the street from my house, we ride almost every Sunday and we'll try for an afternoon ride during the week. Maybe Wednesday after work this week, its only 20 minutes from where you live.

I'm in for Wednesday. I won't be able to ride for the next couple of weekends. So I got to get in where I can. Did I leave my hat in your truck?

I too am in for Wednesday depending on when you leave Truckee - I'm off of work at 5pm and can leave Reno directly at 5pm. PM me if that works. :thumbsup:

I too am in for Wednesday depending on when you leave Truckee - I'm off of work at 5pm and can leave Reno directly at 5pm. PM me if that works. :thumbsup:

As soon as you get here we leave, I'll PM you with directions.