2006 YZ 125 clutch life

How long can i expect my clutch to last on a 2006 YZ 125?I change the oil every second or third ride.I make good use of the clutch,but am not really hard on it.

I beat my clutch on my 125, and change the oil after every ride.

I get about a year out of the plates and springs.

I don't understand the need to change oil in a 2t after every ride, or even every other ride. The oil remains in the tranny and is not shared with the top end like a 4t so it is not subject to the same heat, wear, or break down factors the 4t is, it just seems kind of unnecessary...

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this though...

I don't understand the need to change oil in a 2t after every ride, or even every other ride. The oil remains in the tranny and is not shared with the top end like a 4t so it is not subject to the same heat, wear, or break down factors the 4t is, it just seems kind of unnecessary...

I agree, for the most part.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the wet clutch is the primary reason for changing the oil more often, 4T's included. And the frequency is dependent on how you ride, how long you ride, and where you ride.

But it can never hurt to have fresh oil in there, especially at only a couple bucks a pop- right?

I change my 2T gearbox oil every other ride, which is usually 15+ hours.

why not when it starts to go black

The wet clutch wreaks havoc on the oil.

And since I really ride my 125 hard, and use alot of clutch work, I can turn ATF black in about 2hrs of ride time. :thumbsup: Which is actually a little longer than it took me to turn regular motor oil black.

There is no oil filter in a 2 stroke. :thumbsup:

The oil holds all the particulate so change often.

If I ride sand, silt/dusty, or muddy conditions I change my oil every ride.

If the track is tacky/loamy or trail riding I let it slide for a couple/3 rides.

I'm on a 250 & use my clutch lots. My plates have out lasted my bascket. 2 yrs