May Have A Bad Petcock.

I have a huge aftermarket tank, the cap says IMS but I don't see that written anywhere on the tank itself. The lower edges of the tank reach all the way down and bolt to the lower radiator.

Anyway, I am using the stock petcock and when I remove the fuel hose from the carb inlet, with the vacuum hose disconnected, the fuel will continue to run out of the tank/hose with the petcock lever in the on postion. The lever is NOT in the pri position. It does this when there is more than say 1.5 gallons of fuel in the tank. I have been in the process of jetting and have to remove this huge tank for each jet/needle modification.

Do I have a bad petcock ?

I have also noticed the bike is sometimes hard to start after sitting. I need to hold the throttle open and it behaves as if it was flooded. No fuel is coming out of the over flow however.

PLease help. thanks.........

Yes, the petcock has problems. sometimes, simply taking it apart, putting it back together resolves it but my physic mind says it is time to get a new one.

When a DRZ floods due to fuel overfilling the carb, it tends to flood the engine before it comes out the drains. Therefore, I suspect this symtom will go away once you take care of the petcock.

Several choices on replacements.

Same as you have now

E model, that you have to amnually turn off (good choice, they last almost forever)

Yamaha one (wr450 I think - A search here on TT will confirm) Cheaper but the fuel outlet is pointing a different direction.

I rejetted the other day and noticed this as well. The directions say to put the petcock in the off position.

Funny, what off position? On / Pri / Res

Reserve stopped the flow with the tank removed for me.

Also, "bad petcock" is just too easy to resist so expect the worst.

Hope this helps with the jetting. Not sure about the starting issue.

Typical S petcock. Which is why some of us have gone to the E, Pringle, or Yamaha petcock.

If I get a new petcock, one with an actual off position, do I just cap off the carb's vacuum port ?

Also, the TT store doesn't seem to carry E petcocks. But I found some universal on Clake's website for 16.50. Any suggestions on where to buy.

I'll do a search on Pringle next.

THX

I put a Pingle on my bike.

http://www.pingelonline.com/suzuki.htm

If I get a new petcock, one with an actual off position, do I just cap off the carb's vacuum port ?

Also, the TT store doesn't seem to carry E petcocks. But I found some universal on Clake's website for 16.50. Any suggestions on where to buy.

THX

THX

The Pringles are reputed to be real nice (still OEM here).

Yes, just remove the vacum nipple, remove the special washer and reuse on a regular bolt, about 20mm long.

The Pringles are reputed to be real nice (still OEM here).
Yeah, I saw one once. A very nice piece of work. :thumbsup:
Yes, just remove the vacum nipple, remove the special washer and reuse on a regular bolt, about 20mm long.
Are you referring to the vacuum port on the Mikuni carb, or the head?

To plug up the port on the carb, you can cut the vacuum hose down to a stub, plug one end with silicone adhesive and cover the port with that.

Yeah, I saw one once. A very nice piece of work. :thumbsup:

Are you referring to the vacuum port on the Mikuni carb, or the head?

To plug up the port on the carb, you can cut the vacuum hose down to a stub, plug one end with silicone adhesive and cover the port with that.

My guess is, he's got the Mikuni since it's a California E. In which case it's like you said on the carb. So is it too hot to ride where you are now Harry? We've had a horrible heat wave for over 3 weeks north of you.