Sign in to follow this  

Scotts Stabilizer Mount Issue

Hey guys, I am having trouble mounting my scotts bolt on frame mount. It goes on good and I tightened it very tight. I trimmed the bearing seal. I checked to make sure that the welds are not touching the mount. But as soon as I put everything back together, I turn the bars back and forth maybe 5 times, and the mount has worked its way loose. What can I do to fix this?

I tried using a pipe clamp around the bracket, but still no luck...

Sorry man...I have never used a damper on my bike. :thumbsup:

I am sure someone with experience wil have an idea. It is Friday afternoon so you might not have a ton of people seeing your question over the weekend. Ines I have seen have been welded on. But I like the idea of temporary mounting idea of a bolt on post mount.

Thanks for the reply.

Yah I was thinking about tack welding it on, but I'm not so sure about the heat and the bearings? Could anything seize?

Thanks for the reply.

Yah I was thinking about tack welding it on, but I'm not so sure about the heat and the bearings? Could anything seize?

HOld up on welding it. The welding I saw was on the backbone behind the head tube. not aroudn the bearings.

Someone will hopefully have a better idea on how to help you. Does the clamp itself, clamp to the frame at the upper bearing? Anything causing it not to clamp securely? A spatter from a weld? Do they say to prep the area? Like clean the paint off so it gets a good serface to clamp to?

Sorry I don't have more experience...:/

Don't try and weld it....not yet.

I've had a Scotts on both my bikes. I had to use a file and file away some of slag from the weld. Just make sure that the post is touching all the way around the steering head with no gaps. You may still need to do some small file work just make sure it fits tight. No welding but maybe some blue locktite.

JB

thanks for the input guys!

Yah I was hoping that I wouldn't have to weld that thing on LOL!

Well I called their service department and they said it should mount up, I don't have to sand the paint or anything. They also said to check to make sure that the welds aren't touching the mount, and they aren't. And yes it mounts to the head tube right where the top bearing would be.

Now as for making sure that the whole mount is making contact, would I be able to see it from the bottom or is sight not precise enough? And as for blue loctite, who would I apply that? put a ring around the inside of the mount? How secure would that be?

Thanks

-Ray