New Model Reliability?

I'm seriously looking at defecting from the blue camp to KTM for 08, depending on the results of a demo ride when the 450EXCRs come out.

Is it a risky proposition buying a bike that has had such an extensive upgrade?

Would it be safer to wait until it's had a year's worth of use and abuse and buy an 09 once the wrinkles have been ironed out of the 08?

I don't see the "new" engine as being a major new deal, I see it more as weve built the RFS for 8 years, learned its deficencies and with minor changes we can make a better product. Thus I expect very few new product issues

Follow the World enduro circus,,usually they will begin racing the next year models at mid season,,, I have been waiting to see the all 450 EXCR in Enduro Competition. I think as previously stated, and based upon the SXF DOHC motor program the all new SOHC EXC motor should be unbelievable. KTM has not built many lemons lately!!

THe DOHC engine like the SFX will be in the 450 & 510 XC in a 5speed configuration. I have seen the owners manual for that model and made note of how many teeth each gear has etc, ratios kinda paralell the 250 & 300 XC-W 2 strokes which while I would miss the 6 speed are enough ratios for fast most

The SOHC engine that will be in the EXC and XC-W models is so much like the one its replacing I am viewing at as an update of the same, am faily confident that things like the transmission will be the same pieces.

Follow the World enduro circus,,usually they will begin racing the next year models at mid season,,, I have been waiting to see the all 450 EXCR in Enduro Competition. I think as previously stated, and based upon the SXF DOHC motor program the all new SOHC EXC motor should be unbelievable. KTM has not built many lemons lately!!

I've been a KTM owner since 1989. I have had no reliability issues since my 1991 250 DXC. I've owned a 2001 520 MXC and a 2004 450 EXC with no issues. KTM has earned my loyalty.

Basically I think the new motor has been tested in the 07 250exc f since last year.Only diference the barrel size and the sx head.I,ve ordered the 08 250exc f as it,s really a mk 11 of the 07 tweaked with a new frame.any niggles have been sorted.

I am defecting from blue to orange. I curently am riding a 06 yz 450.With all the xtras. But I keep wantin to try the Ktm.Went down yesterday put money down for the first 08 xc505 off the truck. Cant wait.

I dont see KTM as being a CO that has new model issues and mostly not with there motors, look at the 250F design best and most dependable motor in its class from the get go.

One of the dirt bike mags did a long term article on a 250SXF and rode the snot out of the bike for a whole year. The KTM factory techs did not want to tear the motor down after 100 hours because the compression and leakdown tests indicated the motor was still as tight as a new one. they tore it down anyway and the topend job consisted of replacing the rings and gaskets. they did not even adjust the valves since they were still in spec. See if you can get the same results out of a CRF Honda