hot cams question

I am looking to get a set of hot cams to add some power to my 04 yz250f. From posts i've read it seems that most people prefer the stage 2 hot cams. How do you guys like the product and is it worth the money? Also is the shim kit needed?

i actually ordered the stage 1 kit and it is awesome tons of punch and a lot of overrev its like there is no rev limiter anymore very impressive. you dont need the shim kit but it will save you from running back and forth to the dealer replacing shims. its worth getting the kit so you have everything you need on hand:thumbsup:

I have the Stage 1 cam.

If you're tight on time, I guess you could order the shim kit. However, if your situation is like mine, you'll probably be able to save from buying some shims because you'll be able to move around the ones already in the bike (which is handy because they come in partial sizes; you can only buy ones in increments of "5").

I also suggest that you watch the installation video on Hotcam's site at least twice before you do this, even if you're familiar with cams, etc.

If you search for "hotcams," on here, you'll get dozens of threads.

all this talk about shims is kind of turning me the other direction.. I'm deff. not the best with the wrenching and don't any experience with cams. damn 2 strokes were so much easier lol

all this talk about shims is kind of turning me the other direction.. I'm deff. not the best with the wrenching and don't any experience with cams. damn 2 strokes were so much easier lol

Shimming is just part of the deal when owning a 4 stroke. I bought my first 4 stroke recently so haven't actually experienced the art of shimming yet, but after watching the hotcam instructional movie i can't see it being too much drama.... but yeah, watch it a few times first.

I bought a stage 1 intake to try and get more bottom end out of the 250. Will fit it in the next week so i'll let you know.

Question for all u 'shimmers' :- Do you really need bent feeler gauges or can u still use straight ones?

Ta,

CrankR.

i actually had to cut my feeler guages to fit they were a little to wide , i also purchased the motion pro pre bent guages an dont really like them at all the blade is very short so you cant really get a good feel for them.

i actually had to cut my feeler guages to fit they were a little to wide , i also purchased the motion pro pre bent guages an dont really like them at all the blade is very short so you cant really get a good feel for them.

So the gauges u cut where straight ones? How wide is too wide?

CrankR.

Shimming is just part of the deal when owning a 4 stroke. I bought my first 4 stroke recently so haven't actually experienced the art of shimming yet, but after watching the hotcam instructional movie i can't see it being too much drama.... but yeah, watch it a few times first.

I bought a stage 1 intake to try and get more bottom end out of the 250. Will fit it in the next week so i'll let you know.

Question for all u 'shimmers' :- Do you really need bent feeler gauges or can u still use straight ones?

Ta,

CrankR.

I used strait bendable ones, possible, not entirely the easiest thing, but definetly possible. It was the one that has like 30 in it like a swiss army knife. about the size of your pinky finger each.