KLX250, would I be happy with one?

Every once in a while, I'll glance at the dual sports to add to my collection. The thing is, I would basically want a KX250 with a license plate on it. How do the dual sport bikes hold up to the motocrossers?

Any other makes you would recommend?

You do not want a KLX250 unless you want to spend heaps on it and even then it won't go like a 2 stroke mx bike. In Australia there are plenty of enduro bikes that we can register like Gas Gas EC250 for example that perform almost at the level of a mx bike, however from what I understand you can't register them in the States

you're referring to the DRZ400E. Great bike, nearly mx level, but not platable. The DRZ400S (I've had 2) is great in non-stick-farm off road situations and not too bad on the street (but not the highway). I cut down the bars on mine and it works okay in the tight woods, but not like a KTM200.

You might want to consider one of the street legal Husqvarnas or KTMs. Fully street legal out of the box, and these are race bikes with a plate, which sounds like what you want.

I've seen some CRFX's dual sported and plated in New Jersey. I don't know the details of what all that takes in that state, but if you can do that, just about any bike becomes an option, I'd guess.

I'm on an '07 Husky TE250, and it's awesome. JD jetting, stock everything else, and it rips. Better yet, TOTALLY legal. I wave to all the rangers in Wharton State Forest as I ride on by. What a great feeling! Good luck getting anything not street titled registered in NJ. The DMV is very particular about what bikes they issue registrations for. But if it comes with a street title, you're golden!

I considered the DRZ 400S, but rejected it as too heavy and street biased.

So the Husky would be a good choice then?

vvvv Being familliar with my other bikes, I just don't want to be dissapointed. I rode a buddy's 00 or 01 KLR250 and I thought I was going to break the thing. The power was simmilar to a 80 and the suspension was about as rugged as a pogo stick.

depends on how good a rider you are if your a gun get a ktm or wr:eek: if your intermediate or less and want a bike that you can improve as you get better get a klx, remember its 90% rider and klx can be modified to be a trail/woods weapon in the right hands:eek: