1993 XR250 Suspension

Like it says up there, I have a 93' XR250R, and I was wondering if there is any suspension mods you can do, such as trading out the forks, trees, and shock, and replacing them with CR's or CRF's. I want more out of my suspension, there isn't anything wrong with mine, I just want to beef it up.

Andrew -

Other have had great luck replacing the stock forks with CR125/250 inverted forks. From what I have read it is much better than replacing springs and re-valving. You will find the forks on eBay. I am not sure about the conversion process and how easy it is to drop them in to the stock clamps.

Good luck!

Like it says up there, I have a 93' XR250R, and I was wondering if there is any suspension mods you can do, such as trading out the forks, trees, and shock, and replacing them with CR's or CRF's. I want more out of my suspension, there isn't anything wrong with mine, I just want to beef it up.

I rode the 1986-1995 XR250's more miles than I could ever count.

For the rear, find a late model XR600R shock. In the front I would stay away from the USD conversion (persoanlly I have never been real happy with any that I have done since the rake and trail invariably gets screwed up) and find a set of good cartrige forks such as those from a 1986-1988 CR250 or even a set from an XR600. I have never tride the XR400 fork on the third generation XR250, but I imagine it would work well.

The key is to keep the chassis balanced.

Thanks for the replies, I've done a conversion on my XR200 and I know how important it was to keep it balanced, I first just only had a XR250 shock in it and it was pretty tall in the rear, so for the time being I put taller bars on it so it didnt feel the front was too low. I just want a little more suspension on my 250, because where I ride theres a lot of big rocks that you have to hit and trail drops, and this older style suspension can't keep up with what newer bikes are tearing up, and I don't want to replace it, for one not enough cash, but with the pumped engine I can keep up with everybody so I'm good there. I just need a little more oomph from the suspension. I'm probably going to go for the XR600 suspension then, it sounds like a sure bet.

yep, i have the xr6 shock on my too,

very firm&stable indeed,

:)

Thanks for the replies, I've done a conversion on my XR200 and I know how important it was to keep it balanced, I first just only had a XR250 shock in it and it was pretty tall in the rear, so for the time being I put taller bars on it so it didnt feel the front was too low. I just want a little more suspension on my 250, because where I ride theres a lot of big rocks that you have to hit and trail drops, and this older style suspension can't keep up with what newer bikes are tearing up, and I don't want to replace it, for one not enough cash, but with the pumped engine I can keep up with everybody so I'm good there. I just need a little more oomph from the suspension. I'm probably going to go for the XR600 suspension then, it sounds like a sure bet.

Hey Andrew, did you ever get around to doing the front forks and if so what did you do? I've go a 93 also and am looking at different ways to upgrade the front.

'96-up xr250r forks are a bolt-in swap and make a huge difference. They are a true cartridge fork as opposed to the "cartridge system" fork found on the '90-'95 models. If you're patient, you can find them on Ebay or sometimes even here in the TT classifieds for a reasonable price.

-B

Thanks TMX!!

'96-up xr250r forks are a bolt-in swap and make a huge difference. They are a true cartridge fork as opposed to the "cartridge system" fork found on the '90-'95 models. If you're patient, you can find them on Ebay or sometimes even here in the TT classifieds for a reasonable price.

-B

I'm considering a 90-02 MXer and basing a lot of the decision on the suspension and I find a lot of conflicting information so any differences in performance for the various years would help. Also can anyone explain to me the difference between true cartridge forks and the cartridge system forks and the years and/or models.

Thanks