Sign in to follow this  

*PIC* weird looking tranny oil

This formerly red belray gear saver tranny oil came out of my kdx220 and although it started to downpour rain outside while i was telling my dad, u can still see the splotches of something. This oil has about 7 or 8 rides of 20 miles or more on it so it is well worn, kind of. When i was riding at a slag dump with my friend at WOT up to mid or high fifth gear, after we would stop and or slow down i would hear a sound like clinking or something from something internal, but after a little bit it would go away and the bike has been running great. Is anything wrong with my oil? Any input is much appreciated, im thinking it may be time for some new clutch plates but i am still relatively new to working on my bike and diagnosing problems. sorry its so big, new to photobucket to P1000119.jpg

Looks like either water or gas in there. but like cuddies said, the picture is a little to small to really see it

That oil is much too dark to have any measurable amount of water in it.

there seems to be some white stuff alright and your oil could be contaminated with water. it looks a lot like coffee mixed with a small amount of cream. :thumbsup:

it started to downpour rain before i got the container inside but maybe ill try to get a better pic

Well, for one, you need to change your oil more frequently. If it were my bike, I'd put some fresh oil in it and change it again after 2-3 hours of riding and see what it looks like then.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Well, for one, you need to change your oil more frequently. If it were my bike, I'd put some fresh oil in it and change it again after 2-3 hours of riding and see what it looks like then.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

I was wondering when somebody was going to speak up about that, trailnewcomr, your oil looks like its been in there forever :thumbsup: I think what you're looking at is about a years worth of clutch dust.

If you're worries about tranny wear, put a magnet under the bucket and mix it up for a while. Look for metal fragments when you dump the oil from the bucket.

If you're worries about tranny wear, put a magnet under the bucket and mix it up for a while. Look for metal fragments when you dump the oil from the bucket.

That's an interesting idea :busted:

Why not just mix the oil WITH a magnet and see what sticks to it :thumbsup: By the looks of that oil, you might find a whole clutch plate in there :thumbsup:

Put your arm all the way in that bucket, and feel around the bottom. You should be able to feel if theres any big pieces of metal in there.

Maybe invest in a magnetic drain plug too.

frogman, honestly the oil hasnt been in there that long but i am gonna try to change it more often, and countrymusicsucks, thats a good idea with the magnet, maybe ill try it

Why not just mix the oil WITH a magnet and see what sticks to it

If you put it under the bucket, you don't have to clean off the magnet each time. You'll also get a better idea what's there - use a white bucket for contrast.

Put some in a clear glass and shoot another pic.