XR600 vs. 650L

I saw a post on here that indicated the XR650 feels top heavy compared to the XR600. I hope to buy a DS in the next year, and the XR600/650 are on my short list (along with a DS'ed XR400 and the DR-Z400S)

The post left me scratching my head a bit...how can the 650 feel much different than the 600? Are there significant differences apart from the slight displacement increase?

The displacement increase is coupled with a compression and ignition timing decrease so the 600 is if anything a little better in the engine dept. The L weighs at least 40 pounds more. This is a big difference. The worst part is that the battery is across from the muffler. That weight is high and away from the center of mass. Otherwise the bikes are pretty much the same.

The displacement increase is coupled with a compression and ignition timing decrease so the 600 is if anything a little better in the engine dept. The L weighs at least 40 pounds more. This is a big difference. The worst part is that the battery is across from the muffler. That weight is high and away from the center of mass. Otherwise the bikes are pretty much the same.
cleonard, you mention the 650's ignition timing is decreased as opposed to the 600. What do you mean? Is there a way to advance or retard the 650 to its advantage?

Rman...

cleonard, you mention the 650's ignition timing is decreased as opposed to the 600. What do you mean? Is there a way to advance or retard the 650 to its advantage?

Rman...

There is a thread... anyway, someone built up a motor, ran it with a 650L CDI and it ran a bit flat/weak, so they put on a 600R stator and CDI and it ran like the ape it should be.

There is some other supporting evidence that the advance (total amount, or the advance curve, or both) are gentler on the XRL, either for emissions, or to keep people from suing due to looping out.

The XRL has a +12V input CDI, the 600R has one that needs about 100-200 volts AC at 120? 200? 400? or so Hz (cycles-per-second).

Dave

I saw a post on here that indicated the XR650 feels top heavy compared to the XR600. I hope to buy a DS in the next year, and the XR600/650 are on my short list (along with a DS'ed XR400 and the DR-Z400S)

The post left me scratching my head a bit...how can the 650 feel much different than the 600? Are there significant differences apart from the slight displacement increase?

The XR650L feels top heavy compared to anything else. ?

I had a 1999 XR650L. A friend had a 1999 XR600R. The XR600 weighs about 50 lbs. lighter than the XR650L. Most of the weight is in the street-legal stuff, the subframe, battery, and starter. The 600 has a better carb, is not tuned for emissions like the 650, and is geared lower. We went on a long trip, and our bikes topped out at about the same speed, so there is not alot of difference in power.

If you get a XR600, you will spend money to make it street legal. If you get a XR650L, you will spend money to make it more dirt-worthy.

The XR650L feels top heavy compared to anything else. :busted:

I had a 1999 XR650L. A friend had a 1999 XR600R. The XR600 weighs about 50 lbs. lighter than the XR650L. Most of the weight is in the street-legal stuff, the subframe, battery, and starter. The 600 has a better carb, is not tuned for emissions like the 650, and is geared lower. We went on a long trip, and our bikes topped out at about the same speed, so there is not alot of difference in power.

If you get a XR600, you will spend money to make it street legal. If you get a XR650L, you will spend money to make it more dirt-worthy.

It is top heavy!! Steel frame, batt.. etc. Trick it out, though; its still real fast.? I weigh 145lbs so go figure.?

R....

...Trick it out, though; its still real fast.? I weigh 145lbs so go figure.?

OK, reality check time. Sorry about this, but the XR650L is NOT fast, even with the normal mods. Neither is the DRZ-400S, which is marginally faster than the XR650L. I owned both, so I have some experience. I just test-rode the KTM 690SM (supermoto), which has a new version of the LC4 650cc engine. Now THAT engine is fast. :busted: They claim 64 hp (crank), which is about double what the XR650L or DRZ-400S have at the rear wheel.

I'm not getting the KTM, because it's not what I want to ride. But it was an eye-opener to see what power actually feels like in a thumper. My green DRZ-400S felt like a poorly-running moped after riding the KTM.

The XR650L is a good bike. It is what it is, and does a lot of things well, but it is not fast. Sorry. :cheers:

OK, reality check time. Sorry about this, but the XR650L is NOT fast, even with the normal mods. Neither is the DRZ-400S, which is marginally faster than the XR650L. I owned both, so I have some experience. I just test-rode the KTM 690SM (supermoto), which has a new version of the LC4 650cc engine. Now THAT engine is fast. ? They claim 64 hp (crank), which is about double what the XR650L or DRZ-400S have at the rear wheel.

I'm not getting the KTM, because it's not what I want to ride. But it was an eye-opener to see what power actually feels like in a thumper. My green DRZ-400S felt like a poorly-running moped after riding the KTM.

The XR650L is a good bike. It is what it is, and does a lot of things well, but it is not fast. Sorry. ?

I have been dying to use our new smiley....? :busted::cheers::bonk:? ??? :p

OK, reality check time. Sorry about this, but the XR650L is NOT fast, even with the normal mods. Neither is the DRZ-400S, which is marginally faster than the XR650L. I owned both, so I have some experience. I just test-rode the KTM 690SM (supermoto), which has a new version of the LC4 650cc engine. Now THAT engine is fast. ? They claim 64 hp (crank), which is about double what the XR650L or DRZ-400S have at the rear wheel.

The XR650L is a good bike. It is what it is, and does a lot of things well, but it is not fast. Sorry. ?

My prefferred terrain puts just about everything on par- give me the worst out there!

Dave

OK, reality check time. Sorry about this, but the XR650L is NOT fast, even with the normal mods. Neither is the DRZ-400S, which is marginally faster than the XR650L. I owned both, so I have some experience. I just test-rode the KTM 690SM (supermoto), which has a new version of the LC4 650cc engine. Now THAT engine is fast. :cheers: They claim 64 hp (crank), which is about double what the XR650L or DRZ-400S have at the rear wheel.

The XR650L is a good bike. It is what it is, and does a lot of things well, but it is not fast. Sorry. :bonk:

Well, I wouldn’t call that a reality check...

I’m pretty sure we all can agree the KTM690SM is “quicker” than the L..

But you forgot to mention that it’s also quicker to blow steam too. :busted:

I wouldn’t throw too much long-hot-uphill-sandy-twisty desert single-track at it, unless you had 2 liters of spare coolant in your hydro pack! LOL

(maybe that's why I dont see too many out in the dez...)?

...The 650L, however, loves that shi@t!! LOL!! ?

• 3 months later...
OK, reality check time. Sorry about this, but the XR650L is NOT fast, even with the normal mods. Neither is the DRZ-400S, which is marginally faster than the XR650L. I owned both, so I have some experience. I just test-rode the KTM 690SM (supermoto), which has a new version of the LC4 650cc engine. Now THAT engine is fast. :worthy: They claim 64 hp (crank), which is about double what the XR650L or DRZ-400S have at the rear wheel.

The XR650L is a good bike. It is what it is, and does a lot of things well, but it is not fast. Sorry. :worthy:

I too have rode both bikes, the XR650L is faster and has more hill climbing torque than the DRZ-400S period. Install a 10.5 to 1 piston and stage one cam and the XRL comes alive. Thanks to CA emission laws the XRL was mechanically de-tuned, but still faster (and more importantly more torque) than the DRZS. The XRL is much eaiser to put on a diet plan than the DRZS. Once that is done the XRL carries its weight lower than the DRZS.

For me it's all about the torque. I ride on some really tight goat trails - hiking trails really. The torque to climb those sharp, rocky, leaf covered, tree rooted hills and just plain grunt through deep mud and head sized rock stream beds is what I need.

Love the ground clearance too.

Welcome to New England Baby!