NOOB with a dead TC610

Hey folks,

I think this may be my first post. What's up!! i've been reading so many threads it seems like i've been around a while (to me anyway) :thumbsup:

I'm pretty much a noob to Huskys and frankly to newer nikasil lined cylinders so please bare with me if i've got some stupid questions.

I picked up a '99 TC610 with a supermoto kit and the original MX wheels too. I think i got a pretty good deal on it the only problem is there's this huge knock when you kick the bike over. I bought it from this guy selling for this other guy and he said it runs, but after kicking it with the ignition off i'm not even trying to start the thing. Sounds like the big end is spun but I won't know for sure until i get the motor out of the frame and tear it down.

It looks like there are some excellent resources on the board as far as parts and shop work but what about....

I'm used to cast sleeves in my older 2 and 4 strokes where you just overbore until you've got nothing left or just put on a fresh cross hatch and throw a new set of rings in a top end if it's within spec. Is this acceptable with an aluminum nikasil lined cylinder? Or is a replating always recommended since you have the whole thing apart.

I understand nikasil is pretty hard, can i use the same 180 Grit flex hone i use with my older cast cylinders?

If your piston is in good shape is there any problem with just getting new rings, cleaning the part, putting on a cross-hatch and away you go? Ok that question is kinda redundant but it's kinda separate from getting a fresh replate.

Right now I'm not sure exactly where the beast will spend the majority of it's time but it's likely to be on asphalt. Are there any mods i should do to strengthen the motor in preparation for this? (Given the different way i'll be riding on the road vs. dirt)

Thanks for any insight,

Chris

If you're more road than dirt you will want to make the gearing taller than stock. As to the engine, once you fix the knocking it should be fine for the street. Just make sure you have fun!

That's the problem. I'm not sure how big a deal this little knock is. George from Uptite set me straight about what's acceptable with these motors and what is not. Nice guy, and very generous with his time considering what demand he must be in. I think he must've spent like 10 or 15 mins on the phone just talking about symptoms, recommendations and do's and donts for these modern 4 stroke singles. The only thing I've gotta figure out now is do I buy the specialty tools and do it myself or just ship it down to uptite....

That's the problem. I'm not sure how big a deal this little knock is. George from Uptite set me straight about what's acceptable with these motors and what is not. Nice guy, and very generous with his time considering what demand he must be in. I think he must've spent like 10 or 15 mins on the phone just talking about symptoms, recommendations and do's and donts for these modern 4 stroke singles. The only thing I've gotta figure out now is do I buy the specialty tools and do it myself or just ship it down to uptite....

If you have the coin I'd ship it to uptite (George). He will make it right and you will never have to deal with it again. :thumbsup: