KX 125 Resized for 5'2" beginner: pics and vid

Just finished converting my KX 125 and handing it over to my woman. In stock form there was 4 inches between the ground and her heel. Had both the shock and forks lowered 1.5 inces and installed new springs appropriate for her weight. We still needed to get her lower to the ground so we began hacking at the seat.

She's very happy with the results: http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/Blacksamwell/FirstRide/?action=view&current=179318ca.pbr

I also replaced all of the suspension and steering stem bearings which just added to the plush ride.

Before her first ride on the KX she was very much worried and afraid of the dreaded 2-stroke power band. Everyone had told her she would spin out and fall or shoot off the trail and shurely die falling off a cliff. She's had a couple rides on a TTR-125, but to let her see how the engine behaved we took one quick circle with me dragging my toes in the dirt from the seat behind her.

She took over from there. She reports the KX is very nimble and feels much lighter than it looks. And it warmed my heart when her eyes lit up and she told me how much she liked the power. :thumbsup: Oh yeah. She's hooked.

Our redneck engineering method of seat height reduction: Bamboo skewers and razor blades. The skewers were pushed through the seat at the level we wanted to make the cut. It helped us stay on track and not cut too deep.

HPIM0849.jpg

The final shaping was done with a very coarse wood file/rasp.

HPIM0856.jpg

We stapled the cover back on and put the seat back where we found it:

HPIM0864.jpg

Our results work very well. She's just able to touch her boot down now, but we didn't have to compromise any more ground clearance than we had to. Which is good because I think she'll be zooming around the desert at rapid speeds in no time at all.

Going to have to add her to the "Arizona Women Trail Ride" list. One of these days I'll drop you guys a line for another ride. Looks like you did the bike up well. I have KDX200 in a KX125 frame that has a shaved seat and I loved the handling on the bike. Good luck:thumbsup:

Where you guys at Arizona Farms Road? That's where I learned to ride! Great place to start with very little around.

Awesome! Both the KX and the YZ/RMZ!

Maybe I can tag along next time you guys do a desert ride?

The bike looks good man. Maybe you can finish that kitchen remodel now...hahahaha

I bet she is ready for all the Baja trips we will be doing this winter.

The bike looks good man. Maybe you can finish that kitchen remodel now...hahahaha

I bet she is ready for all the Baja trips we will be doing this winter.

No way! :busted: First I have to clear the garage of superfluous projects and score a truck that can carry both bikes and all the gear. :thumbsup:

She's ready to go back and attack the deep sand of the beach. :thumbsup:

a beginner on a 125 2-stroke will definitely die right away if it's a woman

:thumbsup:

lol. seriously, nice pix and report. hopefully they'll convince some of the other less-timid women that it's not so scary to ride a motorcycle.

YNOTRIDE: I will be ready! Make sure to pack the bubble wrap..LOL

YNOTRIDE: I will be ready! Make sure to pack the bubble wrap..LOL

I got you covered. Lots of bubble wrap and brake levers and a chain breaker to fix those chains you like to break on your crazy beach rides. :thumbsup:

Nice work Sam! :thumbsup:

So how do you like your new XR?

Looks good! nice to see u could make it work! how does she find it for climbing hills etc? I'm a beginner rider this year, (just upgraded from DRZ125 to Husky TC250) and the only way to my heart is through a 4-stroke! lol

Jessmatic had her second session with the KX last Saturday morning. Spent more time getting used to the controlls and adjusting to some small jetting changes. I caught the best part of the whole morning on video. :lol:

Please note: Jessmatic was not harmed in the making of this film. :applause:

th_da1c8e35.jpg

Looks good! nice to see u could make it work! how does she find it for climbing hills etc? I'm a beginner rider this year, (just upgraded from DRZ125 to Husky TC250) and the only way to my heart is through a 4-stroke! lol

Thanks!

So far we've not gotten a chance to do any trail riding. But I think we're about ready for that. I coached her into letting the engine spin a lot more this time out and she finally had that "Ah-Ha!" moment learning about how the motor comes onto the pipe.

I'm picturing a future where she'll be able to work that KX through some tight singletrack much faster than I can on my XR650R. I can't wait to see the grin on her face when that happens. :ride:

Thanks!

So far we've not gotten a chance to do any trail riding. But I think we're about ready for that. I coached her into letting the engine spin a lot more this time out and she finally had that "Ah-Ha!" moment learning about how the motor comes onto the pipe.

I'm picturing a future where she'll be able to work that KX through some tight singletrack much faster than I can on my XR650R. I can't wait to see the grin on her face when that happens. :ride:

That's great! Good Vid BTW....It's really cool that you are so supportive of her, and her learning...be patient....it can be painful at times..just ask my husband! lol....good luck with the bike! it will be awesome when you figure out the clutching/engine etc...(me....i'm stickin to my 4-stroke! lol)

That's great! Good Vid BTW....It's really cool that you are so supportive of her, and her learning...be patient....it can be painful at times..just ask my husband! lol....good luck with the bike! it will be awesome when you figure out the clutching/engine etc...(me....i'm stickin to my 4-stroke! lol)

The video is awesome! LOL- even though it is me crashing. Luckily, I have plenty of crash experience, although the dirt is a bit harder than the sand in Mexico. He is very patient..that makes the learning part much easier.

Awesome video!

You're looking great! Crashing is just part of the learning! Remember, if you're not crashing, you're not riding hard enough!

Awesome video!

You're looking great! Crashing is just part of the learning! Remember, if you're not crashing, you're not riding hard enough!

Thanks for the encouragement Pammy!