Are Project Bikes Even Worth It? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Difference in Pro Circuit Type 296 and the "Forrest Friendly" silencers

296 is a nice piece,fit good and pretty quiet.It's longer than say ,a fmf turbine core 2.

I'm not sure, but I think the forest friendly compares to the TCII and the 296 compares to the Q.

That is what I understand, but I do not know for sure.

I have a 296 on a 200 and I like it, easy to repack and quiet when the packing is fresh. I change it when I notice its getting loud.

I believe the "Forrest Friendly" is their muffler with a spark arrestor.

The 296 is a longer (quieter) muffler with a spark arrestor. (FMF Q)

To ride in a National Forrest, the bike must have a spark arrestor. No question there.

I believe to ride in a National Forrest, the bike has to be 96 db,

which may or may not be possible with the Forrest Friendly muffler.

Muffler companies are not very good at being clear or describing how many db the bike should test out at. I couldn't figure it out, so I put a stock KTM EXC muffler on my 200SX. I'll go with a Q or 296 if I replace it. I want my bike to easily pass any 96 db test and not have to worry that I haven't repacked it recently. I think a 296 or Q tests out at 92-93 when new. That gives a little wiggle room and still passing a 96 db test with older packing.

Even Pro Circuit's website isn't too clear, but the previous posters hit the nail on the head. The Nature Friendly silencer has a spark arrestor, but is not designed to pass a 96dB sound test and the type 296 has a spark arrestor and is designed to pass a 96dB sound test.

They may not be clear about certain things because they may not have tested them. I called PC the other day to ask a question about my 2 stroke jetting for an upcomming race out near their facility and they had no idea what jetting spec was ideal. I asked if they tested the new ktm 2 strokes when developing their pipes for them and they said yes, but somehow they had no jetting specs for any 250 2stroke bikes made recently :thumbsup:

My guess is that they are not putting as much testing into them as they would like you to think, so maybe they don't know how loud those pipes blow.

Most 2-strokes are around our under 96db, so even with the forest friendly you should be ok. I am running the 296 on my 300 and am happy with it.

The new pipes are the same as the '03/04's I think, so I doubt they do any more testing than just finding out if it mounts up properly.

Most 2-strokes are around our under 96db, so even with the forest friendly you should be ok. I am running the 296 on my 300 and am happy with it.

The new pipes are the same as the '03/04's I think, so I doubt they do any more testing than just finding out if it mounts up properly.

I run the stocker on my EXC it rings in at 93 db - and it has USFS approved stamped on the side. The latter is key, that's what the fish cops look for.

THe forest friendly has a KRIZZMAN turbine style spark arrester end cap; it's a clog-free design. The 296 has a screen type sparky end cap.

THe Forest friendly is "supposedly" a little louder than the 296, although I've heard both side by side and I can't tell which is quieter. The 296 has a longer length canister. A friend w/ an '07 300w replaced the hockey stick sparky he took off his '04, and with the new 296 put on, he could immediately feel his throttle improved a good deal.

My 296 has the Krizzman spark arrestor and is not the crappy screen. I would not have bought it otherwise. Have you seen a 296 with the screen, or is this something you heard from someone else? Maybe some have the screen and some don't? I just bought mine about 1-1/2 years ago and it is a Krizzman. This is for an '01 300.