Sign in to follow this  

Smoky nearly new CRF

I bought a new leftover 2006 CRF450R. I did a break in woods ride for about 45 minutes with a couple stops to let it cool. I didn't beat the snot out of it as some suggest, but I didn't baby it either.

I changed the oil and filter and the transmission oil with Honda GN4 10W-40 standard oil. I added an additional 50cc of transmission oil for supermoto duty. I then rode 3 supermoto practice sessions of about 12 minutes each running it fairly hard. No rev limiter, some full throttle. Didn't notice excessive smoke.

I did another oil, filter and transmission change with Honda HP4 semi-synthetic with moly in the engine and the non-moly semi-synthetic HP4 10W-40 in the tranny. I again added about an additional 100cc of oil in the tranmission for supermoto and went at it. I ran it hard and accidentally touched the rev limiter twice. Throughout the session the engine puffed blue smoke every time I blipped the throttle and it smoked lightly (blue) under hard throttle while running supermoto. Any suggestions. The oil level measurements were done with a ratio rite container and the engine oil level was exactly to Honda's specs.

By the way, the power is fantastic and it runs great. It's my first Honda. I rode my buddies KTM 525SMR and my CRF actually felt stronger but was a little TOO responsive for smooth drives out of a corner while leaned over.

Sounds like your does the same thing as my 450R. In fact, my 450X did the same thing since the day it was new. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you start seeing the oil level drop.

My bike smoked once in a while when i first got it, now i dont see any smoke at all. But it does have 60+Hrs on it, probably time to rebuild soon... :D

The smoke is clearing up. Not sure why but I've been running it pretty hard at a supermoto track. Maybe the oil level was too high before or something.

get rid of the moly oil and run shell rotella t 15w40......smoke should hault

why do u say get rid of the moly oil. i just had my motor rebuilt and the guy said to use moly for the crank side

why do u say get rid of the moly oil. i just had my motor rebuilt and the guy said to use moly for the crank side

I heard that Honda is not pushing the moly anymore to use in the crank side.

I also heard that the burnt blow by from the moly was not so good for the valves and seats.

In my case I have owned an '02 and '04 CRF450 in which I used moly religiously in the crank side. Both bikes had serious valve wear and great maintainence from me. I was frustrated none-the-less.

I now own a new '06 with 2.9 hours on it and will use Rotella this time around.

I know the bike has harder seats than the '02 and '04 however I want to take the advice of someone here who seems to know a lot about oil.

I also decided to use it in my Yamaha outboard F90 4-stroke. So far it has performed outstanding in the Yamaha. I change it every three hours in the F90 and it looks clean every time.

ok so then which oil should i use? the rotella t 15w40? what should i use in the trans?

I use the Rotella 15w40 in both sides. Seems to work great (30 hours on 2006 450R.):thumbsup:

Did you take the filter out and clean/oil it from stock?

They have some wierd crap on it from Japan and mine smoked too.

Also mine smokes a little tiny bit while warming up, first flew blips and it smokes then clears.

The smoking problem is gone. Not sure why and don't really care anymore. The bike runs very strong. Thanks for all of your suggestions. The problem pretty much fixed itself I guess.

The smoking problem is gone. Not sure why and don't really care anymore. The bike runs very strong. Thanks for all of your suggestions. The problem pretty much fixed itself I guess.

The rings finally seated. You got lucky.

I guess so. From what I've always read, the vast majority of ring sealing occurs in the first few minutes of running. If they don't seal right then they never will. I guess wringing the snot out of it at a supermoto track is the ticket for unsealed rings.:thumbsup:

I guess so. From what I've always read, the vast majority of ring sealing occurs in the first few minutes of running. If they don't seal right then they never will. I guess wringing the snot out of it at a supermoto track is the ticket for unsealed rings.:ride:

Thats what the doctor ordered! :thumbsup: