Sign in to follow this  

Cinders Race July 15

Ok, Solo said he might come watch, its free if you want to. Quad race starts at 8am, bikes sometime between 11 and 1pm.

go to www.whiplashracing.com for info, but its at the cinders by the big lake bed.

and its not to late to race if you are so inclined. they provide you with the numbers for your first race as part of the entry fee, so all you need is a helmet boots gloves, and a bike that'll run at 7,000 feet. oh and the money to enter. 90 bucks, and a 30 dollar transponder rental.

its great fun, should be less than 2 hours of riding in the pines.

come on, lets get out and represent some of the TT group.

kids races on saturday too.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

or if your gonna come watch, give me a call

Good Luck Nuke! Get home in peace..One piece! 20 years ago I would have...ahhh whats the use!!

I'll be racing on sunday, 900 class I guess since it's my first whiplash race. I was reading that it was a $75 fee? Or was that to pre-register? Either way, much more money than I'm used to paying for any race fee, oh well.

We'll be camping out there tomorrow night. I'll be on an 04 CRF450R, all read with no decals 'cept numbers, another guy with an 03 250SX and another guy on a 94 CR250. Look for us and say hi!

Only 2 hours of racing? Have you ridden out at the cinders before? One day I raced my friend for 10 miles straight at a much faster than normal pace, I was beat after that! I'm taking it very very easy and picking up the pace as the day goes on, I can handle whoops decently enough but they wear me out too fast if I ride too aggressive. I'm counting on what I've heard of everyone quitting after a lap or two. I just want to finish.

I'm looking forward to it, going to have an impromptu party for my 18 b-day as well on sunday. :thumbsup:

Good luck. Every time I raced there, I said I was never going back. That race is about 2 things, how good of shape are you in and how long can you skim whoops.

yeah, I'll be there in a white tacoma, and a black/blue WR450. heading up in the AM when I get off work. no clue where I'm camping yet, gonna play it by ear on whats open.

We'll see how it goes, the Parker250 had a boat load of whoops through most of it, and yeah I was sore, but finished.

I've spent a bit of time at the cinders, so we'll see how it goes. Good luck to you guys.

Whiplash is cheap compared to BITD. although having to buy transponder for this race sure bumped the price up a bit. and its 75 bucks to preenter, and 95 day of the race.

I'm #257 if you see me around

100_9172.jpg

BITD is expensive, I raced Laughlin this spring and that was a fair penny. AMRA and the Colorado ISDE qualifier are alot cheaper than this race. The transponder deal is ridiculous IMO, you can buy one from AMRA for $15 or so, what makes one from them cost so damn much?! I'm just going to buy one, I figure I'll try to make it out to more Whiplash races after this one, I've heard the Snowflake race is amazing.

What class are you racing in?

I'm doing open novice, and to me 80 bucks is cheap for a transponder. but when I was roadracing, it was 180 for one. but they were getting lap times on the front straights with speeds of 160ish depending on the track.

and asside from the transponder, I don't think its too bad for a longer race like this. but the ft. mcdowell race was too short to support it, at least thats my .02

Good luck. Every time I raced there, I said I was never going back. That race is about 2 things, how good of shape are you in and how long can you skim whoops.

Yep, that's what my buddy said and he has raced pretty much all of them.

There were lots of guys that would run one lap and say screw it....drop their bike and pack it in.

well I got 5th of 12 people in my class. 3 of 4 laps.

broke my chest protector, lost the right side bark buster from a big nasty crash, I'll get pics ect. up tomorrow.

Ken

I got some video of the event. I'll get it up as soon as I can capture it from the camera.

I took 11/28 in the 900 class. I missed the getting on my 3rd loop by 3 minutes or so. 3 minutes I can name multiple places that I could have made it up in. One being a little tip over in the 2nd lap that I took abit longer than I should have restarting. The biggie for me though was helping out some people, especially on the 2nd lap. I came upon the guy who needed to be air lifted out and he was in rough shape. I stayed for a few minutes with that guy untill the group became too big and then continued on. There were a few others who I stopped and helped along the way...oh well, it was fun.

well I got 5th of 12 people in my class. 3 of 4 laps.

broke my chest protector, lost the right side bark buster from a big nasty crash, I'll get pics ect. up tomorrow.

Ken

Awesome job Ken......big nasty crash???

I took 11/28 in the 900 class. I missed the getting on my 3rd loop by 3 minutes or so. 3 minutes I can name multiple places that I could have made it up in. One being a little tip over in the 2nd lap that I took abit longer than I should have restarting. The biggie for me though was helping out some people, especially on the 2nd lap. I came upon the guy who needed to be air lifted out and he was in rough shape. I stayed for a few minutes with that guy untill the group became too big and then continued on. There were a few others who I stopped and helped along the way...oh well, it was fun.

Great work....sounds like you did the right things tho........your last statement is what its all about! :thumbsup: and have fun

hey good for you for stopping to help downed people out. thats the way these races should be.

yeah I blew a corner in the new cut woods, back wheel started to spin, loaded the front end up, and I pushed over the top of the berm. hit a tree, I think, not really sure, I went off the top, then was picking the bike up and trying to beat the right barkbuster back down to a reasonable angle. then the bolt sheared off, leaving it hanging by the handlebar end. suprising that it held on for about 2 miles, before totally coming off.

you can see here running with one hand guard.

257d.jpg

the forks twisted, I think I bent my fat bars, possibly the mount or triple tree as well. gonna take the front end apart tonight to see. but its still pretty bent.

I think I gave my mom a hear attack, pulled in after the first lap to the pits, yelling I need a wet towel, and 3 or 4 of you to straighten my bars, because they were super bent, even after I beat on em myself trailside. Also the mix of blood/cinders coming from my nose all over my mouth and upper lip was rather disgusting. but I took off from there. was in 9th place after first lap, 6th after the 2nd, and 5th when I finished after 3 laps. total time of 2 hours 14 minutes. for 49 miles of racing. but the 3rd lap was just hang on and finish, I was spent by then.

and got a great pick of # 908 courtesy of Jessica(jeffs girlfriend)

908a.jpg

Art only got in one lap, and he was done.

so see you guys at snowflake. also gonna sell my WR, so if you know someone looking for a slightly used 06 450, let me know.

Ken

I remember seeing you come in from your third lap, you looked tired! :thumbsup: That second picture is amazing, timing is just perfect. Do you know who else was taking pictures? I sort of know of one person but I saw many others who were taking pictures. I would like to see some of me flailing around...

We were pitting under the large 20x10ft blue Polaris/Flagstaff Motorsports tent about 50 feet from the start.

I managed to get holeshot and in spectacular fashion IMO. I pulled the front up and rode a small wheelie for the better part of the first stretch and kept in front of the other 3 guys. When this other guy in my row decided to try and pass me he did so and immediately afterwards hit a root and endoed. So within 100 yards of the start (at the edge of the pits) I had already seen someone crash, that would be the first of many...

yeah, I saw a couple dozen crashes either happen, or getting picked up. I was SUPER WORN OUT on the 3rd lap. by then it was just hang on and keep moving. and somehow I passed a guy who hadn't wrecked that lap too.

You don't happen to know of any of the photographers out there do you? I would like to see some photos...

the pro photo guys are linked through whiplash, but probably arn't posted yet. J&S photo was out there, not sure who else. Ken