07 WR135 Update

I havent had much of a chance to play around with my WR125 with a FBF 135 kit lately due to work and family committments and due to the fact that I have been digging my Berg FE550 a lot.

The bike was collecting dust in my garage as I was chasing jetting issues with the TMX for a long time and was starting to consider getting rid of the bike altogether. The 135 is definitely more finicky than the stock 125 jug with regards to jetting.

The bike had only been ridden a few times this year and I had to either sort it out or get rid of it altogether.

I think I finally have this bike dialed. I was riding it today and let a few other guys ride it and they cant believe how much power it has for a 125/135 2 stroke. The final piece of the puzzle was when I went to a 36mm PWK carb. It took me a while to get it jetted right but the results made it worthwhile. The bike is far "snappier" and doesnt have that mid range sputter that I couldnt seem to jet out of the TMX. The spooge is also non-existant.

The 135 with the PWK is FAST! Plain and simple.

I am not sure what made the biggest difference, the 135 kit or the carb, but the combo is awesome. I would recommend both to anyone who has a WR125.

I also added a set of FBF 50mm works forks with billet triple clamps and it is now one of the coolest little bikes I have ever seen. Sadly, I have almost doubled my investment in it since I bought the bike but I think it will be worth it.

Scott,

Thanks for the update.... What are your jets and settings on the PWK and what pipe did you settle on to replace the dented stocker?

Norman

I am running a JD blue needle on #4, 48 pilot and a 175 main with the PWK. I was having trouble with the PWK until I went way up on the pilot.

I borrowed a buddys stock WR pipe. He is running a PC on his. I still would like to try the Fatty one of these days but I didnt want to change too much at once, and honestly, the money well is running dry.

I puked the 135 a while back and put it back to stock while waiting for a cylinder repair and only then did I realize how much more jam the 135 had and that is with the TMX.

If I was on a tight budget, I would still go with the PWK over the 135 kit. I think it gives the best bang for the buck.

What do you think about the 50mm forks? Are they worth it?

How does the motor compare to a YZ 125? I rode a stock 05 YZ and was very impressed with the linear power and strong pull from the bottom.

I have also ridden a 06 Husky CR 125 that had a fmf pipe and was very disapointed in the motor but loved the ergo's and handleing. Can the Husky motor be made to have a YZ like power delivery?

Russ

I have not ridden a YZ125 but my buddy has an 06 Honda CR125 that is also a 135 and ported extensively and my WR135 has a lot more bottom end pull and similar top end.

How does the motor compare to a YZ 125? I rode a stock 05 YZ and was very impressed with the linear power and strong pull from the bottom.

I have also ridden a 06 Husky CR 125 that had a fmf pipe and was very disapointed in the motor but loved the ergo's and handleing. Can the Husky motor be made to have a YZ like power delivery?

Russ

Russ,

I'd just go for the YZ as you have yourself pretty well convinced. New Cycle News calls the '07 YZ125 the best 125 ever built. '06 CR125 I rode simply ripped and I was convinced that I could live with a 125. Maybe some jetting would help you friends. My '02 WR125 is simply better than the CR 125 for technical enduro riding in every way. I'll be getting a newer WR125 at some point.

Norman

Russ,

I'd just go for the YZ as you have yourself pretty well convinced. New Cycle News calls the '07 YZ125 the best 125 ever built. '06 CR125 I rode simply ripped and I was convinced that I could live with a 125. Maybe some jetting would help you friends. My '02 WR125 is simply better than the CR 125 for technical enduro riding in every way. I'll be getting a newer WR125 at some point.

Norman

Norman

How is the power delivery on your WR? I am not sold on the YZ but it is a very impressive bike. I have also ridden a 05 and 06 YZ 250 set up for the woods. I can see why they get such good reviews. I have talked to several tuners and they claim that the Husky motor can be tuned like the YZ. I really liked the ergos and handleing of the CR.

Your input is appreciated. Russ

Russ

The Husky can be turned to run very well. A friend of mine that had a yz125 with the 145 kit on it was very impressed with my cr125, enough so that when he came back from a test ride he asked if he could take it out again. The bike can be made to run like a putt-putt with poor jetting. The stock pipe on the husky is good, so I don't know why a person would change it, unless it was ported for major topend (BTW, I really like the FBF race motor). All that being said, the yz125 is a great bike.

The Husky can be turned to run very well. A friend of mine that had a yz125 with the 145 kit on it was very impressed with my cr125, enough so that when he came back from a test ride he asked if he could take it out again. The bike can be made to run like a putt-putt with poor jetting. The stock pipe on the husky is good, so I don't know why a person would change it, unless it was ported for major topend (BTW, I really like the FBF race motor). All that being said, the yz125 is a great bike.

My '02 has a Dynoport Torque pipe and carb dividers. The power delivery is... lots of bottom(friend with a 200EXC was impressed) with a very linear transition to mid and a hit as you get to the top end. I remembered the CR having reasonble bottom, but not as good as WR, a definite mid hit that made it tougher to ride in tight technical stuff and a big rush in the top end.

Norman

I should have mentioned that I am using the carb dividers and the "magic" sudco needle.

My cr125 has no mods but a thin base gasket. I have not ridden a new 2006 yz125 but I have ridden a 2002 and the husky has similar power. The new yz125 sounds like it has a very broad spread of power and maybe more low end then the Husky. That being said I know the Husky has more power than a kx125 and WAAAY more power then my friends brand new Honda 125.

I put almost 150kms on the bike yesterday and my jetting specs were too fat.

I also wadded the stock pipe (again) and it may have been adding to my jetting issues. It was 40% closed off.

I dropped down to a 42 pilot (from 48) and a 170 main (from 175) and the bike feels much crisper. I think I may be a touch lean now and will have to keep a close eye on the plug for a bit before I call this final.

I just put on a Fatty pipe and from riding around my back yard it feels considerably stronger with the leaner jetting.

I would like to get one more ride on it as I would like to take it to the Michigan National Enduro in August. I am kind of nervous driving that far and having it run like crap or seize up because it is too lean.

I should have mentioned that I am using the carb dividers and the "magic" sudco needle.

I too am using the magic needle and carb dividers. My CR125's run great with lots of low end. I put the FMF turbine core 2 sparky on both of them and it really helped all through the power range, more low mostly but more mid and top also.

I also agree with your previous post about the stock pipe being great. It is. I got a Doma on one bike and I wish I hadn't have spent the extra $. NO real difference over stock.

If you want a lot of low end you can do what we did to the wife's CR125. Move the reed stops to the low position and put an 8 OZ. flywheel weight on it. It is really a torque monster now and still has a top end. I didn't do this to mine as I like the 125's hit. It is part of the fun of riding it. Now if I rode in the greasy east then maybe. I can see why Norman likes the WR125 for his conditions. Here in Montana where it is dry as a popcorn fart during a lot of the year, it all about rock and roll in the dry conditions. You just have to watch out when it lights up because it will go sideways real quick and throw you on your ear.

Great fun. Now I wish I had the disposable $ to make mine into Uptite's 167cc kit. That would be cool. It is like riding a feather compared to the TE510.

and due to the fact that I have been digging my Berg FE550 a lot.

Sorry, totally off topic, but how do you like your 550? What year is yours?

07 FE550.

I really like it. Very mellow bike. A lot nicer to ride than a 525XCW.

Wow. You got the updated model year! Nice!

Dude, you got to add that bike to you sig.

Represent that thing! Don't be ashamed!