Sign in to follow this  

Which bike should I race??

Want a little advice please..

I've been racing a crf450r in harescrambles. Been doig pretty good getting faster every race..I rode a 5 mile course at a practice track close to my house..(The Corner Lot Resort) I was actually 22 seconds faster per lap on a friends crf250x..

Uhmmm..

He told me to take it this weekend and race the Perry Mountain HareScramble and see how I did..

What do yall think the 250 feels awesome in the woods but in the open it has no power..Nothing feels like it has power after a 450 though.

So should I try it out or what since I have the oppurtunity???

Thanks

Terry

the only in between is a 250 2 stroke bud. easy goin power like a 250f but when shes opened up she just hualls ass

get a 250x and bore it to a 300, they rip everywhere

I have a 250 KTM xcf-w with the HT300cc, pirfect bike. You get a light weight 4t with over 40hp (as much as any non pro needs) Sure the 450 will outrun it on a 5 mile road but the 250/300 will eat it up in the woods and after a few laps the 450 guys will be wooped and the 250 rider will be hooting a having a good time while laying down equil lap times or better. i know a lot of people ride 450 (what the AMA and factory dictate) but IMO it is the worst choice in the woods for anyone under at least AAs. Take some of that love of 450 power and put it to corner speed.:thumbsup:

Unless you are in superhuman physical condition, I think you should consider a 250 smoker. I ride a 125 in hare scrambles, and I probably pass more 450s than any other kind of bike, just because the riders get so tired from all the power and weight (with the high center of gravity). A 250 smoker will have power similar to a 450, but with much less weight and a low center of gravity. As for the CRF 250X, they have nice suspension, but are very heavy and underpowered.

:thumbsup: If you have the opportunity to try out a different bike, then take advantage of it. You will have an "opinionated opinion" about it for the future. :thumbsup:

Thanks evrrybody!!!!

Yeah I did some test laps on the 250x and not only was I faster i could tell a difference in how I felt.. I felt alotbetter after the 250... I love the 450 power but Im convince that the 450 power is not what gets you through the woods...

I think im going to try the 250 on sunday and see how i do I dont think I will be slower on it compared to my test laps!!

But I do think a 250-300 st is prob the way to go or a 250f with a big bore.. But I havent ridden a 250f with a big bore so I dont know how much it adds...

Thanks everybody

Terry

As far as the 250x being heavy its only like 7-8 lbs heavier than my 450 but man it feels so much lighter than my 450...Its just where the weight is on the bike I guess..

And im in pretty good shape Im riding the 450 fast at the top of my class the class. I just think I might be faster on something different. I felt alot better after th test laps on the 250 vs the450...

Terry

I have a 250 KTM xcf-w with the HT300cc, pirfect bike. You get a light weight 4t with over 40hp (as much as any non pro needs) Sure the 450 will outrun it on a 5 mile road but the 250/300 will eat it up in the woods and after a few laps the 450 guys will be wooped and the 250 rider will be hooting a having a good time while laying down equil lap times or better. i know a lot of people ride 450 (what the AMA and factory dictate) but IMO it is the worst choice in the woods for anyone under at least AAs. Take some of that love of 450 power and put it to corner speed.:thumbsup:

Actually almost all the AA riders you see will be on a 250-300ktm st. My last race they were all riding 250-300 ktm st there was one rm 250 2t and a 400 ktm 4t.. So that tells you something almost all the top riders are on 250-300 2t..

Terry

:thumbsup: If you have the opportunity to try out a different bike, then take advantage of it. You will have an "opinionated opinion" about it for the future. :busted:

What he said :thumbsup: As to why you are faster on the 250F, it's because the power is much more manageable and you are comfortable riding it hard when compared to the 450. In an off-road race where you are riding for 2+ hours, that is more important than big power.

the only in between is a 250 2 stroke bud. easy goin power like a 250f but when shes opened up she just hualls ass

Word.

250 2-stroke is your best bet.

Try and get a chance to ride the MX version of the bike, the 250r, it will have more HP, 8-9 more stock and be ~20 lbs lighter... And they can be reliably modded to around 40+ HP, stock is 35 ish...