Sign in to follow this  

'05+ Toyota Tacoma owners?

Im planning on trading my '99 Ford F-150 in on an '09 Tacoma next summer. Im looking at getting a base model 4x2 regular cab with a 5-speed manual tranny.

Anybody here own one or have experience with them? Im on a few Toyota forums and most people seem to be pretty happy with them, but Id love to hear from some TTers.

Im planning on trading my '99 Ford F-150 in on an '09 Tacoma next summer. Im looking at getting a base model 4x2 regular cab with a 5-speed manual tranny.

Anybody here own one or have experience with them? Im on a few Toyota forums and most people seem to be pretty happy with them, but Id love to hear from some TTers.

Sure.. I've got an '07 AC, auto 5 spd, 4x4 with the tow pkg. I pull a '20 toy hauler with toys (quad and XT225) behind it. It's almost 6500#'s.. and it feels like it too.. but I can stick my foot in the floor and it will move when needed. Would like to have an converter lockout switch. at 60 it locks and unlocks.. I filled out an online survey asking for one to be put in.. We'll see..!

The first mod to it was exhaust. I put a Flowmaster and dual Borla tips on it.

I've put 8300 miles on it since 4-3-07. A trip to Vegas and one to Oregon, everywhere else is local (Sacramento). What a nice little truck.

You can't go wrong with them. Oh.. I towed my Jeep with it too. had 1083 miles on it then.. w\quad in the back too..

pepper%20towing%20lucy-1.jpg

Notice the plate too.. TACOFVR

DSC02827.JPG

Bruce

:thumbsup:

Nice. You pretty much echoed the things Ive already heard.

About the converter locking and unlocking, if you had bought one with a 6-speed manual tranny you wouldnt have that problem! :thumbsup: Just messin' with ya.

I had a '92 4Runner that was the same way. On a windy day if you drove at 60 mph it would almost constantly shift in and out of overdrive. A lot of the time I would just click the "O/D OFF" button to stop that from happening. Its really hard on the tranny when it hunts gears like that because it builds up heat and heat is what kills auto trannys.

Like I said, Im going for a 4-banger and I think a 5-speed manual would be the way to go. I think a 4-banger automatic would be REALLY gutless. At least with a manual you cant keep the motor spooled up so that it doesnt lug all the time.

I had an 05 Tacoma Sport Crew Cab. Loved it to the max. Had 32k miles on it and never had a single problem. Sold it the first weekend I posted it to a Toyota loyalist. Had to do it though cause I needed a bigger truck to haul the trailer and 5 bikes.

My friend bought a 07 a few months back. Its a single cab 4x4 with the 2.7L I4 and a 5 speed. Its a fun little truck, but on high speed dirt roads it wont hold its line at all. Much worse than my 91 2wd pickup. It wheels pretty good tho, and he has a door that "pops" when you open it to prove it. Power is surprisingly! I think that the 2wd ones come with the 2.4L I4 instead?

Nope, they now all use the same 2.7L 4-banger. Toyota used to put the 2.7L in the 4x4 and 2.4L in the 4x2, but they now use the same engine.

Yeah, when the midsize Tacomas came out in '05 they went to using the same 4-banger no matter if its a 4x2 or 4x4.

Its a VVT-i 2.7L 16-valve 4-banger that puts out 159 hp and 180 ft-lbs of torque.

It makes sense really, why make 2 engines when you can just make 1? :thumbsup: