Sign in to follow this  

Body Armour v. Chest Protectors

Looking for some insight from guys/gals that have ridden with both traditional chest protectors and the newer mesh suits with full spine/elbow/chest/shoulder padding (six six one, ufo, etc. makes various kinds).

I've never ridden with either, but have been looking at the armour lately. Typically ride woods/trail.

Thoughts?

when its hot out the chest protector flows more air. also protects from roost better. the armor works pretty well for awkward impacts ect. better coverage, if your just trail riding in woods, the aromor has better protection(depending on model) especially when they include elbow/forearm padding.

ok i have both.

body armor from six six one is great i feel very protected and i am. but it also makes you sweat and dehydrate a lot faster but you may ride alot faster knowing your protected. the conventional ones are good if you get the spine protector ones. i wont go anywhere without my body suite i dont know what id do if my bike landed on me with a normal chest protector. its a for sure broken back my .02 hope it helps

Now that I've reached my thirties, I don't bounce like I use to. After doing some research on protective apparel I found out that Europe has what's roughly equal to a DOT or SNELL test for protective apparel, body armor etc.

I buy helmets based on their testing ceritifcations, so I decided I should do the same with my other apparel, if possible.

Find something that is CE rated and you'll be on the right track...

Do a Google search for "motorcycle ce certification" and you might find something...

I'll never go back to a traditional chest protector. I like the mesh suit much better, things stay in place, and the spine protector is a nice feature you wont get with a chest protector.

I think the heat thing is overblown. You may notice the sweat a little more since it's concentrated inside the mesh, but overall I dont notice it when I'm on a 50-100 mile Dualsport. It's like when I put my turnouts on at a fire, get em on, get the sweat thing going, and get busy, you forget about it once you're into the activity.

its fine up till about 100 degrees, but I ride through the summer here in phoenix, and when its 110 out, that little bit extra is just too much.

I have worn both, and would NEVER go back to a plastic roost guard. When/if you fall, the guard shifts to the side, and those rocks feel really nice scraping the skin off your body. My advice is that if you buy an armour suit, then:

1) Do not cheap out. Buy a Dainese or high end model that is made of mesh to allow for airflow. I find my Dainese unit cooler than the roost guard I used to own.

2) Go to your local sports store and buy one of those "under armor" (or equivalent) tight stretch shirts that wick away moisture. The type that hockey, football players, etc. wear. Wearing this underneath your armor makes a HUGE difference in how cool you will stay. I can comfortably wear my jacket in 90 degree weather. Trust me on this one ... I have worn armor with and without these shirts, and will never go back to wearing armor without one underneath.

3) If you buy a full suit, you might want to really consider cutting off the arm guards. They are usually a joke. I cut the arms off my Dainese suit and actually wear Raceface DH mountain bike arm guards, which are far superior to most flimsy motocross options out there. Its not even close as to the level of protection they provide (Raceface ones blow the moto guards out of the park)

After coming off a mountiain bike background, I have found that there is a lot of cheap offerings in the motocross department when it comes to armour. Remember ... in general ... you get what you pay for.

I crashed pretty bad about 6 weeks ago on a 60 ft tabletop I hit the ground on my back and the bars hit me square in the chest. They spider wed cracked my conventional chest protector and saved my sternam and countless ribs. It got cut off somewhere in between the track and the er so i ordered a 661 coresaver the chestplate was a softer plastic which would be good rocks but not bars I sent it back to BTO in exchange for a thor sentinel.

Moral of this long post no matter what you get make SURE it has a hard plastic chest plate. If could save lots of bones

I have both the Fox Airframe and the Thor Impact SE suit. I have found that they are both very protective and will NOT ride a track without one.

However, the Impact SE suit does not fit with the Leatt neck brace. The Airframe does, which is why the Impact SE stays in the garage now.

If you have (or are intending to buy) a Leatt, I recommend that you go with the Chest Protector type of protection and buy forearm/elbow guards separately.

Just my 2 pennies!!

I have not tried body armour. I have a Fox Air Frame it seems to protect well. My front end washed out in a corner a few years ago at about 15 to 20 MPH some how something impacted my ribs - no breaks just very painful bruise for about a week - I have suspected the BIG Buckle/Snap on the lower front of each side as being what got jammed into my side but not sure,, I was shopping for a new Chest Protector for my son last week - most seem to have the big snap on the side.. Its always that odd impact fall that gets you,,

I agree to wear the suits. Keeping things in place when you crash.. I race in TX and its hot but gear is a must...

Body armor protects you a lot better than a roost guard. Body armor protects your torso as well as your elbows and forearms.

They are warmer, but as long as you are riding you get enough airflow to keep you cool.

All that a chest protector/roost guard was ever designed to do was protect you from roost. They do very little to protect you from injury when you crash.

Dont get the ballon trust me get something with a hard chestplate

Two years ago at a local RMR snowmobile race a guy came up short on the finish line jump and smashed his chest on his handlebars it tore his aorta away from his heart and he died on the track.

"RXR Protect is revolutionizing Protection in the action sports world with its exclusive, patented, "Air Shock Absorber" technology. Imagine a chest and back protector that absorbs 5 times more energy than hard-plastic and 10 times more than foam-based protection devices. The secret of RXR Protect protection devices....AIR!"

I don't think a company would make a statement like that if they couldnt back it up. I doubt the snowmobiler was wearing this product since it hasn't even been out that long.

I have both the Fox Airframe and the Thor Impact SE suit. I have found that they are both very protective and will NOT ride a track without one.

However, the Impact SE suit does not fit with the Leatt neck brace. The Airframe does, which is why the Impact SE stays in the garage now.

If you have (or are intending to buy) a Leatt, I recommend that you go with the Chest Protector type of protection and buy forearm/elbow guards separately.

Just my 2 pennies!!

How do you like the thor impact SE suit besides that it don't work with the leatt? I have never bought anything thor, besides the gloves I just got and they ripped the second time I tried them on before I even rode my bike:thumbsdn: Is the quality good ? good airflow? thanks:thumbsup:

what i like about the compression suit is the all in one protection, & the stay-in-place factor. I've taken many tumbles, slides, low & high side get offs, & the suit has done it's job. My road jacket, with it's built in armor in the elbows & back, don't give me the confidence.. it seems to me like it can slip, & in a crash, if it slips, the protection is gone. I felt my compression suit was too tight when i first got it, but didn't exchange it, & have now come to appreciate the snug fit. I also wear either a short or long sleeve underarmor type undershirt.. it helps the chafing from the mesh seams.

My riding is mostly dual sport in some rougher roads.. rocks, ruts, hills.. if i was moto racing, i'd probably prefer the full chest protector. Mine has the hard plastic, but zips in the middle, so a hard impact there would not be as protective as the single piece.

"RXR Protect is revolutionizing Protection in the action sports world with its exclusive, patented, "Air Shock Absorber" technology. Imagine a chest and back protector that absorbs 5 times more energy than hard-plastic and 10 times more than foam-based protection devices. The secret of RXR Protect protection devices....AIR!"

I don't think a company would make a statement like that if they couldnt back it up. I doubt the snowmobiler was wearing this product since it hasn't even been out that long

Actually, you would be surprised at how some companies will go out of their way to simply sell a product. BOHN has been in the body armor business for years and have been known to sew fake CE labels into their garments. Motorcyclist magazine had an article on it several years ago.

The point is, don't take any companies word for ANYTHING, especially your own protection. Your knowledge is key, so do your homework...

i love my EVS BJ22. don't notice it when riding and all the protection has stayed in place for the falls i've taken and the multipe branches i've hit.

i would never go back to a chest protector.

The non cotton undershirt is essential. Cotton should not be worn under these in cold or hot weather. Hell, dont wear cotton ever, it holds water in winter and causes hypothermia, and it doesnt breathe in summer heat.