Sign in to follow this  

Quick help??? DRZ stuck at WOT!!!

I was merging on the freeway and was at WOT and when I reached speed I went to back off of the throttle and the bike kept accelerating. So I pulled in the clutch for a 1/2 second and the bike revved to the limiter and I immediately turned the key off and coasted on the shoulder. I was just riding for 30 mins prior with no problems then this....right out of the blue.

Could some linkage been over extended by the WOT and now it won't return back? I think I could reef on the grip and it wouldn't move - or it would snap something. Whatever's jammed it has done a good job!! The throttle grip is stuck at WOT and won't move - the brief daylight I had at least showed the cable wasn't broken - I can see slack form when I can move it the few 1/16ths of an inch each way.

It was nearing dark and luckily I was near a friends place and I walked the bike there.

I'm going in the morning to look at it and hopefully with some advice here fix it.

Its a 2005 DRZ-SM with 8,000km's, old style FCR carb- never done this before. I'm not overly mechanically inclined but I'm thinking I'll have to take the seat and tank off and un-jam something???

Being stuck at WOT won't flood it will it while its sitting not running....I assume it won't but......

Anyone else have an idea or two before I leave in the morning to look at it?

Thx!

You have a stuck cable (maybe it's pinched somewhere), or the return spring broken (highly unlikely), besides, the throttle has a dual cable so if you untwist it, it'll pull the throttle shut.

It's going to be a simple fix. A WOT won't flood it. The gas only flows when the engine is running and there's a vacuum on the line to the SM petcock... unless you have a modified DRZ400e converted to an SM... then you just need to shut the gas off.

Really, it's just your throttle cable or something jamming the throttle twist lever.

I'd undo the throttle lever cover as well maybe and check to see if everything is ok under there.

If you do take off the gas tank and it is a stock SM, then make sure when you put it together again, you put both the gas line and vacuum line back on the fuel petcock to the gas tank.

It's very easy to take off the seat and the gas tank, please don't hesitate to do so to check out your carb and throttle cables.

I was wondering about the return spring too but would I still manually be able to twist the grip if the return spring broke? The grip won't budge but for a 1/16" each way.

I was wondering about the return spring too but would I still manually be able to twist the grip if the return spring broke? The grip won't budge but for a 1/16" each way.

Then it's pinched somewhere. I guess something could break in the carb to stop the throttle cam from moving. I'd first undo the throttle twist on the handle bars and undo the cables at that end. This way you can see if you can pull on the cables by hand to move the throttle. If so then there's something messed up with your twist.

Good old process of elimination; start with the easiest thing first... handle bar throttle twist:thumbsup:

There is a stop on a FCR that keeps it from going past full throttle. If it does, it jams. Check it.

Is it just a matter of forcing it back?

Can I check it without unbolting the tank?

Thanks!

I don't know much about the FCR. But until someone who does, replies, I wouldn't force anything!

I searched "stuck", I searched "throttle" and a bunch of other terms - I actually searched and read threads for almost an hour b4 I posted...but not "WOT" - can't get them all- THX though, hopefully thats the solution!!

I read the post and umm. not being overly mechanical, I can't tell if its a simple fix I can do in my friends driveway to get the bike home or if I need to borrow a truck to bring it home because it reads like the carb needs to be taken apart??

From the one picture - it looks like I can stick a screwdriver in and flip something back and then keep the bike less than 100% throttle until its fixed better...

There's 2 bolts under the seat for the tank, 2 bolts for the seat, 2 bolts for the shroud where it attaches to the radiator and a couple lines on the petcock. Then the tank slips right off. I don't know what is required to check the throttle stop but it's probably not that difficult.You never know till you try. Good luck.

Sounds like I better trailer it home as I don't want to risk getting gas all over their nice driveway....

Take it to a dealer. While you can learn to fix things yourself, your questions about this have me thinking it would be smarter to let a real mechanic look it over.

You don't mess with a sticking throttle; just get it fixed.

NO, it won't be a warranty fix.

Take it to a dealer. While you can learn to fix things yourself, your questions about this have me thinking it would be smarter to let a real mechanic look it over.

You don't mess with a sticking throttle; just get it fixed.

NO, it won't be a warranty fix.

A pal of mine is a mech but I hate bugging him - I was just hoping that there was a simple fix and I could reset something (like hitting Ctl-Alt-Delete on the computer to reboot it) and be on my merry way :thumbsup:

I'll bring the bike home and call him up and he can show me!!! Although I watched him put the FCR on last year and I don't remember a thing he really did LOL

So... trailer it home, put your petcock on run, not prime or reserve, the S has a vacum valve on the petcock that will not let gas flow untill the engine is running. If your petcock is an S and working properly, only a small amount from the fuel line will come out and however much gas from the carb that dribbles out is according to how far over your bike is leaning over. Or disconnect the fuel line from the petcock and keep the fuel line pointing up. Then take the tank off. If you can't figure it out, have your buddy come over. If it is all ready for him to have a look then he might not be upset at all but impressed you tried to fix it yourself. The tank is easy coming off or going back on, I am unfamiliar with the carb though but most mechanical things will explain themselves if you look hard enough. If it's not a warranty item ,don't go to the dealer. I've found better, cheaper service from local bike shops. They all want to make money but dealers have a lot more overhead to cover.

You didn't by chance screw your bar ends in so tight that it's stopping the throttle's grips movement? I did that... once. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Hey, thx for the replies!!!

I'm not really totally inept mechanically - as I'm sure I can take the tank off without a prob at home as I do all my own oil changes and such maintenance (I just hoped there was a quick n' dirty fix to ride the bike home - other than at WOT!!!) :thumbsup: .... I've been spoiled with reliability with my bike.....

There may be a quick and dirty, but not advisable of you are not absolutley sure what you are doing. Would suck to go WOT by accident again and lose it.

Get it home, take your time, figure out what is causing the problem, resolve and make it safe before you, ride again.

There was a tiny sliver of brass in the tube where the needle slides in and it jammed the needle at ~75% throttle (it seemed like WOT at the time).

Removed the debris (everything else looked fine) put everything back together and runs pretty good - thx to my buddy!

The bike seems to take 2 seconds to get right down to idle when I come to a stop now - its livable though.

Good to hear you figured out why the throttle was stuck. You nned to figure out where that sliver came from. Undoubtbly, more of the same is related to your idle issue. Pull the pilot jet and give a careful cleaning, float bowl too. You got debris in there.

Good to hear you figured out why the throttle was stuck. You nned to figure out where that sliver came from. Undoubtbly, more of the same is related to your idle issue. Pull the pilot jet and give a careful cleaning, float bowl too. You got debris in there.

In trying to find the original problem, we pulled all that apart first actually and cleaned everything out and then noticed the debris down the tube....the rest of the carb was clean and in good shape. I'm not putting too much thought into where the small sliver came from actually - probably just part of "wear and tear"...

The idle not dropping immediately may be due to the throttle cable being too tight? Will check tomorrow.