Chopped my silencer

The ENORMOUS silencer on my YZ450F has been bugging me since I bought it so I took the decision to trim it a little today.

Before everyone issues a tirade of abuse about noise etc, this is for the track and has made little impact to the overall volume of the bike (much to my surprise). Compared to an aftermarket exhaust this one is still on the quiet side.

The reasons I am afraid to admit are purely asthetic, although I have heard that this will offer more power in the bottom of the rev range which is definately a plus for me as I tend to not rev the bike excessively.

Here's before:

172769912-M.jpg

Here's after:

172769914-M.jpg

I Have A 05 Wr450 With A 03 Yzf 426 Full Exhaust Installed. I Cut The Back 1 1/2" Off The Muffler And Made A New Endcap. I Notice The Difference In Better Mid-range And With The Factory Steel-mesh Baffling, It Is Still Quieter Than A Aftermarket "glass" Muffler.

How much did you chop off of that, and how did you do it? I'm thinking of buying an 07 and might like to do the same thing.

I chopped off about 2.5 inches in total. I got a set square and marked all the way around the end of the muffler (with the end cap removed). All I did then was take a hacksaw and carefully score around the lines. Then cut all the way through. You have to cut the inner core back also, but not flush with the end of the can as it is supposed to go into the end cap a little.

... good job I would make it smaller but looks good

I might take it down a little bit more but I was giving it a go first with a smaller amount cut off. Its easier to take more off, impossible to put it back on though ?

Someone has taught you the "measure twice, cut once" theory, havn't they?

torch

Either that or he took too much off before and learned the hard way:banghead: ?

Looks good man. I wonder if i should do that for my 07. Maybe itll give it some more low end??

Someone has taught you the "measure twice, cut once" theory, havn't they?

torch

You can't muck around with these things. You need to give youself some margin of error if things do go bad, especially when I was cutting it with a hacksaw.

My concern was more with taking too much off the silencer and affecting the power too much or ending up with a bike that was TOO LOUD ? . The result was to get a better looking silencer, not to end up with a monster sounding bike.

I think I got it right in the end.

It would be nice to have it poking out from behind the number plate but I am confident that it would be TOO loud ?

The advantage of the 08 silencer is that it has that 2 cone insert that helps to reduce the noise. Shouldn't be too hard to do that to a stock 05 silencer though. Just need to get some heavy gauge perforated sheet metal.

It gets complicated though because the effects on the engine would be unknown.

Just a thought on shortening the canister.....generally speaking, when you shorten an exhaust system it will increase the mid to upper rpm range. Generally speaking lengthening the exhaust system will increase the low end. Of course, there are always exceptions to this rule based on other conditions.

Just a thought on shortening the canister.....generally speaking, when you shorten an exhaust system it will increase the mid to upper rpm range. Generally speaking lengthening the exhaust system will increase the low end. Of course, there are always exceptions to this rule based on other conditions.

I haven't ridden the bike yet so my thoughts were purely anecdotal based on the search function of this website.

I will let people know what I experience when I take it out for a ride. Assuming I can tell the difference ?

How come on a 2 stroke it is the other way?

Shorty silencer increases low end of the powerband.